Homemade Incinerator

k-2
Stoker Coal Boiler: K2- Keystoker
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Stoker Stove
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by k-2 » Mon. Apr. 12, 2021 1:28 pm

Lightning wrote:
Mon. Apr. 27, 2020 7:30 pm
I burn cardboard and containers (milk jugs, laundry soap jugs ect..) so there is some plastic too. I take a 55 gallon steel barrel and cut the bottom out of it. Then set it on blocks in such a way that combustion air can come up thru the bottom. I just move the barrel aside occasionally to remove ashes. A barrel will last me 3-4 years before it needs replaced. It's simple and works good. Keeps the fire contained if its breezy. Everything burns up pretty complete.. I'm considered an outlaw, but I've seen outdoor wood boilers that are worse.
Once in a while for fun I'll fan it with the leaf blower and get a real fire going :lol:
Iv been using barrels for years,same way. l only burn scrap wood though and the barrel burns it up as fast as i can throw it in wet or dry. I would like to try making up an air pipe using black iron pipe and fittings to add fresh heated air halfway up inside the barrel to make an after burner to burn the smoke similar to a wood stove

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Mon. May. 03, 2021 9:57 pm

Leaf blower makes it go...
6" in line fan for a semi serious burn...

fig
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman SF360
Hand Fed Coal Stove: T.O.M (Warm Morning converted to baseburner by Steve) Round Oak 1917 Door model O-3, Warm Morning 400, Warm Morning 524, Warm Morning 414,Florence No.77, Warm Morning 523-b
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 7.1/DS Machine basement stove/ Harman SF1500
Baseburners & Antiques: Renown Parlor stove 87B
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous/anthracite
Other Heating: Harman Accentra, enviro omega, Vermont Ironworks Elm stove, Quadrafire Mt Vernon, Logwood stove, Sotz barrel stove,

Post by fig » Sat. May. 08, 2021 11:42 am

I burn every thing but metal. The best thing I have found that works fantastic is a washing machine drum. I set it up on cinder blocks and put a grate under the drum. Burns extremely well and hot so there isn’t too much smoke. After a few years the bottom will start to wear out so I just flip it over and get a littler more life out of it.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Sat. May. 08, 2021 12:07 pm

Around here it's called, "Sunday".

Burning trash is not allowed in villages, but Ok out in the country. Sunday seems to be the day to burn. Go up on top of any hills and you can see the smoke trails.

Before they banned it on Long Island that was my job as a kid. Dad would get a 55 gal drum and using a pickax makes rows of holes around the bottom half. That would allow enough air to burn the trash with hardly any smoke.

And, no need to make holes above the half-way mark because after a couple of years, when the barrel would fill with ash to the highest row of holes, it was getting too rusty to use. Then it was time to dig a hole, bury barrel and ash, and start a new barrel.

Paul

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sat. May. 08, 2021 3:47 pm

I'm with you Paul!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Return to “Farming & Rural Life”