Ever See A Picture that just Bugs You to No End?

NoSmoke
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: New Yoker WC90
Baseburners & Antiques: Woods and Bishop Antique Pot Bellied Stove
Coal Size/Type: Stove/Nut/Pea Anthracite
Other Heating: Munchkin LP Boiler/Englander Pellet Stove/Perkins 4.108 Cogeneration diesel

Post by NoSmoke » Thu. Mar. 05, 2020 6:50 am

That is the case with this picture.

Okay, so the chubby driving it is bad enough, and makes heavy equipment operators everywhere look bad, but the photo also looks photo-shopped.

There is no way that moldboard could hold that much material and not be spilling SOME off the foreground edge of it. I suppose it is possible that the operator had the moldboard angled steeper, then when he approached the photographer, he sent the background edge of the blade forward to load the blade fully, and then the picture was taken a split second before material started spilling over the foreground side of the blade. That might be possible, but it still is photo-timing.

But the tractor also looks brand-new, so who was the idiot that mounted the front tires on backwards?

Of course it goes without saying: it is a Caterpillar too, so it has that against it as well. :no1:

Pictures like this just bug me to no end!

Attachments

motor-grader-1.jpg
.JPG | 509.9KB | motor-grader-1.jpg

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Thu. Mar. 05, 2020 7:07 am

Who cares if the operator is heavy? He might be the best grader operator in the world and is probably less judgmental than you are.

Every road grader I have ever seen has the front tires reversed - it helps keep the lugs clean. As for the dirt not spilling off the side of he blade, I think that is just the timing of the photo.

What do you have against Caterpillar equipment?

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Thu. Mar. 05, 2020 7:08 am

The front tires are bidirectional it appears. I don't think it's shopped.

https://images.app.goo.gl/DjjZg1XvcXkFdPa19

Toddburn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 983/ Hitzer 55
Coal Size/Type: Nut anthracite/pea
Other Heating: Heat pump/forced air

Post by Toddburn » Thu. Mar. 05, 2020 7:20 am

Front tires reversed also keeps tires from wearing out on equipment when driving on pavement. Been running ag tread reversed on 383 4 wheel drive Massey tiger boom mower for years works real well on tire life. Nothing wrong with Cat equipment. All equipment breaks no matter what.

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Thu. Mar. 05, 2020 8:24 am

If you reverse the tire the pattern is the same. The front and rear tires are very different.

NoSmoke
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: New Yoker WC90
Baseburners & Antiques: Woods and Bishop Antique Pot Bellied Stove
Coal Size/Type: Stove/Nut/Pea Anthracite
Other Heating: Munchkin LP Boiler/Englander Pellet Stove/Perkins 4.108 Cogeneration diesel

Post by NoSmoke » Thu. Mar. 05, 2020 8:59 am

Toddburn wrote:
Thu. Mar. 05, 2020 7:20 am
Front tires reversed also keeps tires from wearing out on equipment when driving on pavement. Been running ag tread reversed on 383 4 wheel drive Massey tiger boom mower for years works real well on tire life. Nothing wrong with Cat equipment. All equipment breaks no matter what.
Interesting...

I am a boom mower operator in the summer as well. We have never reversed the tires, and there is some cupping, but then they never last long enough to cup enough to make a difference. I blew three tires alone last year on 1200 pass miles of road.

After about the third day, I realized the American Highway System is America's real dump. I keep a note pad with me now just to write down the strange stuff I have hit with a boom mower. A Brand new Husqvarna chainsaw, and a boat anchor miles inland from the coats...on top of a hill....in front of a farm, tops the list so far. An oxygen bottle was another interesting strike...

Toddburn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 983/ Hitzer 55
Coal Size/Type: Nut anthracite/pea
Other Heating: Heat pump/forced air

Post by Toddburn » Thu. Mar. 05, 2020 9:29 am

NoSmoke wrote:
Thu. Mar. 05, 2020 8:59 am
Interesting...

I am a boom mower operator in the summer as well. We have never reversed the tires, and there is some cupping, but then they never last long enough to cup enough to make a difference. I blew three tires alone last year on 1200 pass miles of road.

After about the third day, I realized the American Highway System is America's real dump. I keep a note pad with me now just to write down the strange stuff I have hit with a boom mower. A Brand new Husqvarna chainsaw, and a boat anchor miles inland from the coats...on top of a hill....in front of a farm, tops the list so far. An oxygen bottle was another interesting strike...
Lol it’s a real s@&t show out there with peoples trash my best hit was a bowling ball it split in half and came out like a cannon shot.... went about 1000 feet!

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Thu. Mar. 05, 2020 9:54 am

I always close my windows in my car when I get near any ditch work for those very reasons! :lol: Not that it would stop a bowling ball but it might stop light objects. Its amazing the things that end out in our ditches.

Return to “Farming & Rural Life”