Fred's town

KLook
Other Heating: Wishing it was cold enough for coal here....not really

Post by KLook » Wed. Dec. 25, 2019 6:56 pm

Wonder if this is Fred's neighborhood.....there must be other Freetowns....

Funny just the same.

Kevin

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Wed. Dec. 25, 2019 7:32 pm

Kevin, it takes Cortland County Sheriffs 45 minutes to get out this way on a GOOD day--State Police are quicker but we've also got a lot of guns out here--LOL Hope you're havin a real good tropical Merry Christmas :)

Hambden Bob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman 1998 Magnum Stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Blower Model Coal Chubby 1982-Serial#0097
Coal Size/Type: Rice-A-Roni ! / Nut
Other Heating: Pro-Pain Forced Air

Post by Hambden Bob » Thu. Dec. 26, 2019 8:46 am

Holy Cats! The Spirit Of The Hill fans out to many locations across the Planet! Kev,You've found but one,here,in the Coal Zone!!

gaw
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Coal Size/Type: Rice from Schuylkill County

Post by gaw » Thu. Jan. 02, 2020 7:26 pm

I believe I saw somewhere that that was in Freetown, Massachusetts.

Freetown Massachusetts, would that be an oxymoron?

KLook
Other Heating: Wishing it was cold enough for coal here....not really

Post by KLook » Thu. Jan. 02, 2020 7:48 pm

Only slightly less amazing then a Freetown NY? Or NJ.....or Sierra Leone, now there is a free place.

Kevin

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Thu. Jan. 02, 2020 8:22 pm

Damn Kevin--one of thems gotta be!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL We're real good but far from free. Ex: at 65 property taxes get cut 50%

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Thu. Jan. 02, 2020 8:23 pm

Indeed it would be K--:)
gaw wrote:
Thu. Jan. 02, 2020 7:26 pm

Pacowy
Stoker Coal Boiler: H.B. Smith 350 Mills boiler/EFM 85R stoker
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/anthracite

Post by Pacowy » Fri. Jan. 03, 2020 3:01 pm

gaw wrote:
Thu. Jan. 02, 2020 7:26 pm

No I don't think it would. From the town emblem in the first pic, you can see the town was incorporated in 1683. It was first settled in 1659, less than 30 years after the original Pilgrims landed in Plymouth. That means that like several other communities in MA, it was created by some combination of original Pilgrims, their immediate descendants, and other of the earliest settlers, who risked their lives to come here in pursuit of freedom.

Once these folks were here, there was no shortage in the amount of blood spilled in furtherance of that freedom. Think Boston Massacre, the Shot Heard 'Round the World, and even the "Battle of Freetown" in the Revolutionary War - all in MA. In the Civil War, MA experienced over 10,000 military deaths, and Freetown was the home of the N.R. Davis Arms Company, a supplier of weapons to the Union Army.

If you want some less lethal examples, MA in recent years has been at the forefront of promoting freedoms in social issues, including gay marriage and legalization of pot. You might not like everything that MA comes up with, but I don't think it's accurate to claim that it is intrinsically against freedom.

Maybe someday you'll decide to list your locality in your profile. As they say in Freetown, NY "Nobody will come and steal ya." And hopefully nobody will try to make you into a punchline by peddling false narratives about your heritage.

Mike

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Fri. Jan. 03, 2020 3:20 pm

Calm down P---LOL-nice lil history lesson--I forget when my Freetown was incorporated--sometime in the 1700's???---I've got it written down to the barn-- todays just a tad to mucky to stroll down there--if I remember, I'll post it at some point. :)

Pacowy
Stoker Coal Boiler: H.B. Smith 350 Mills boiler/EFM 85R stoker
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/anthracite

Post by Pacowy » Fri. Jan. 03, 2020 4:04 pm

Thanks, Fred. FWIW, the internet seems to think your area was settled around 1800, and formally separated from Cincinnatus in 1818.

Mike

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Fri. Jan. 03, 2020 4:17 pm

Could well be P--(the mind is a terrible thing to misplace) LOL

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Sat. Feb. 08, 2020 12:03 am

400th anniversary Plymouth, MA...
The Cape...
Where it all started...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Provincetown,_Massachusetts
At the time of European encounter, the area was long settled by the historic Nauset tribe, who had a settlement known as "Meeshawn". They spoke Massachusett, a Southern New England Algonquian language dialect that they shared in common with their closely related neighbors, the Wampanoag.

On May 15, 1602, having made landfall from the west and believing it to be an island, Bartholomew Gosnold initially named this area "Shoal Hope". Later that day, after catching a "great store of codfish", he chose instead to name this outermost tip of land "Cape Cod".[5] Notably, that name referred specifically to the area of modern-day Provincetown; it wasn't until much later that that name was reused to designate the entire region now known as Cape Cod.

On November 9, 1620, the Pilgrims aboard the Mayflower sighted Cape Cod while en route to the Colony of Virginia. After two days of failed attempts to sail south against the strong winter seas, they returned to the safety of the harbor, known today as Provincetown Harbor, and set anchor. It was here that the Mayflower Compact was drawn up and signed. They agreed to settle and build a self-governing community, and came ashore in the West End.[6]

Though the Pilgrims chose to settle across the bay in Plymouth, Cape Cod enjoyed an early reputation for its valuable fishing grounds, and for its harbor: a naturally deep, protected basin that was considered the best along the coast.[7] In 1654, the Governor of the Plymouth Colony purchased this land from the Chief of the Nausets, for a selling price of two brass kettles, six coats, 12 hoes, 12 axes, 12 knives and a box.[8]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastham,_Massachusetts
Originally settled by the Nauset tribe, Eastham was the site where in 1620 a hunting expedition landed, comprised from the crew of the sailing vessel Mayflower, which had stopped in Provincetown harbor on Cape Cod Bay after a rough crossing of the Atlantic Ocean, which led to the first encounter of the Pilgrims and the local Nauset people at First Encounter Beach. The area would not be settled by Europeans, however, until 1644. The original lands included what are now the towns of Truro, Wellfleet, Eastham, Orleans and a small portion of Chatham. Eastham town was officially incorporated in 1651.

Eastham is the birthplace of Freeman Hatch, who in 1853 set the world record for a single-hull wooden sailing vessel from San Francisco around Cape Horn to Boston aboard the clipper ship Northern Light. Fishing and especially farming were early industries in the town, and writers and artists also came to the town. Gustavus Franklin Swift, born in Sagamore, MA, began his first meatpacking business in Eastham which later moved to Brighton, MA, Albany, NY, and eventually started the meatpacking industry in Chicago. It was in Eastham that Henry Beston wrote The Outermost House. The town is discussed at some length in Henry David Thoreau's Cape Cod as the somewhat rugged site of one of New England's largest summer "camp-meeting" evangelistic gatherings in the mid-19th century. The gatherings were at times attended by at least "one hundred and fifty ministers, (!) and five thousand hearers" at a site called Millennium Grove, in the northwest part of town. (The area is now a residential neighborhood, the only reminder being Millennium Lane.)

Hambden Bob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman 1998 Magnum Stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Blower Model Coal Chubby 1982-Serial#0097
Coal Size/Type: Rice-A-Roni ! / Nut
Other Heating: Pro-Pain Forced Air

Post by Hambden Bob » Sat. Feb. 08, 2020 9:15 am

Man,have We ever got some Great Talent,right here,in this Thread! You have made me feel hyped that I'm not taking Residence there!!

Return to “Farming & Rural Life”