Roundup

coalnewbie
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL AnthraKing 180K, Pocono110K,KStokr 90K, DVC
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Invader 2
Baseburners & Antiques: Wings Best, Glenwood #8(x2) Herald 116x
Coal Size/Type: Rice,
Other Heating: Heating Oil CH, Toyotomi OM 22

Post by coalnewbie » Sat. Aug. 11, 2018 3:06 am

Yes, it causes cancer. The effects of this judgment can't be overestimated. Take care and look out.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2018/aug/10/ ... son-ruling

and don't forget

https://www.yahoo.com/news/court-orders-epa-ban-c ... 49069.html

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Sat. Aug. 11, 2018 7:28 am

2nd link didnt open.

I think about any chemical can cause cancer (or many foods) with heavy exposure. One thing that really hurt Monsanto in this case was for decades they made light of problems and testing. They sued anyone that talked badly of them. They dug their own grave.

Im unsure how this could affect farm use long term but I do know if they dont use roundup for weed control they will use something else that is likely worse. If you think they will go back to walking fields pulling weeds that is not going to happen, at least not someone with any real acreage. I worry more about the pesticides than roundup but they are all bad health wise.

I also think its silly to spray lawns with 2 4 D just to control dandelions, done mostly by untrained people that barely read the labels, or chemical "professional" sprayers that care nothing about you, just the money. Then their children and dogs, cats go walking around on it bringing it into their homes, or the spray evaporates and carries the chemical into peoples homes. All just to control a few plants that dont matter and wont hurt anything anyway.

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW), ComfortMax 75

Post by lsayre » Sat. Aug. 11, 2018 10:11 am

I speculate that someday Bayer is likely going to regret having purchased Monsanto.

rberq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1300 with hopper
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Anthracite Nut
Other Heating: Oil hot water radiators (fuel oil); propane

Post by rberq » Sun. Aug. 12, 2018 8:45 pm

warminmn wrote:
Sat. Aug. 11, 2018 7:28 am
2nd link didnt open.

I also think its silly to spray lawns with 2 4 D just to control dandelions, done mostly by untrained people that barely read the labels, or chemical "professional" sprayers that care nothing about you, just the money. Then their children and dogs, cats go walking around on it bringing it into their homes, or the spray evaporates and carries the chemical into peoples homes.
Try the 2nd link again -- it's working for me. At risk of being branded TDS, I must point out this is something Trump's "very best people" were (so far) blocked by the courts from doing.

Walk through the lawn & garden department of your local HD or Lowes in the spring and summer, and the chemical small from closed containers will almost knock you over. I hesitate even to walk by that stuff, let alone spray it around my yard. A guy I worked with always had a perfect chemical lawn, where his three little girls played -- you would shudder to see it. And I know otherwise smart people who will spray thousands of square feet of yard simply because they see a single ant INSIDE the house. Then we wonder why kids have developmental problems and weird diseases.

gaw
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Coal Size/Type: Rice from Schuylkill County

Post by gaw » Mon. Aug. 13, 2018 12:31 am

I was just spraying Roundup yesterday and probably will later today. I hear it is a “weed killer” so anything sold as a “killer” I just assume I better not drink it or bath with it maybe I should just use it on things I want to kill. Now a group of people from California who couldn’t even figure out how to get out of jury duty say it causes cancer; well I guess it does!

Non-Hodgkin's lymphoma; it looks like other things may cause this nasty cancer as well.

Some factors that may increase the risk of non-Hodgkin's lymphoma include:
Medications that suppress your immune system. If you've had an organ transplant, you're more susceptible because immunosuppressive therapy has reduced your body's ability to fight new illnesses.

Infection with certain viruses and bacteria. Certain viral and bacterial infections appear to increase the risk of non-Hodgkin's lymphoma. Viruses linked to increased non-Hodgkin's lymphoma risk include HIV and Epstein-Barr infection. Bacteria linked to an increased risk of non-Hodgkin's lymphoma include the ulcer-causing Helicobacter pylori.

Chemicals. Certain chemicals, such as those used to kill insects and weeds, may increase your risk of developing non-Hodgkin's lymphoma. More research is needed to understand the possible link between pesticides and the development of non-Hodgkin's lymphoma.

Older age. Non-Hodgkin's lymphoma can occur at any age, but the risk increases with age. It's most common in people 60 or over.
If you don’t like it don’t use it but if you hate weeds like I do use it with some common sense.
Now if you are a hypochondriac and wake up thinking “today is the day I get cancer” here is some good reading for you.

https://www.cancer.org/cancer/cancer-causes/gener ... ogens.html

As far as the Chlorpyrifos story, here is a key paragraph;
The decision is a major blow to Pruitt, who signed an order in March of last year to allow chlorpyrifos, an organophosphate insecticide that has been used on crops such as broccoli to cranberries since the 1960s, to remain on the market for agricultural use. His decision defied the recommendation of EPA scientists.
Notice how long it has been around and now it is the Trump administrations fault for not banning it? There have been at least 3 Democratic administrations since then that could have banned it. TDS? Absolutely.

coalnewbie

Post by coalnewbie » Mon. Aug. 13, 2018 1:37 am

If you don’t like it don’t use it but if you hate weeds like I do use it with some common sense.
Now if you are a hypochondriac and wake up thinking “today is the day I get cancer” here is some good reading for you.
As we are on a roll here ... it gets better

https://www.ecowatch.com/15-health-problems-linke ... 02128.html

https://www.ecowatch.com/monsantos-roundup-found- ... 69607.html

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Mon. Aug. 13, 2018 8:06 am

Stress from worrying about what might kill you is more likely to kill you than what your worried about. ;)

Paul

coalnewbie

Post by coalnewbie » Mon. Aug. 13, 2018 9:22 am

Wow sunny, that coffee is working great this AM. However wrong, it's all about prioritizing risks. e.g. never point a loaded gun unless you intend to use it etc etc. Do not obsess over minutia that is for sure. This however, comes under the category of a risk that can be minimized so it is worth paying attention to.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Mon. Aug. 13, 2018 9:54 am

I have never been a fan of over-spraying anything with Roundup that will be havested, unfortunately the constant push for cheap food has made that common practice.

I use Roundup and/or broadleaf killer to spot treat troublesome weeds, like Burdocks or Velvet leaf...but I certainly don't do an aerial application over the entire property.

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Mon. Aug. 13, 2018 10:05 am

What are other remedies for weed killing. I seem to recall lemon juice or garlic.

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW), ComfortMax 75

Post by lsayre » Mon. Aug. 13, 2018 10:20 am

franco b wrote:
Mon. Aug. 13, 2018 10:05 am
What are other remedies for weed killing. I seem to recall lemon juice or garlic.
I've heard of mixing vinegar and a drop or two of liquid soap in water. Apparently this mix needs several applications to be effective. I've never tried it.

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Mon. Aug. 13, 2018 10:42 am

It makes sense that vinegar would work as it works for everything else. Ive heard boiling water works but it didnt work for me very well as it didnt kill roots.

Salt works but it takes a while for anything to grow back. Local farmers here used to cut thistles in pastures and sprinkle salt on the cutoff stem before sprays were used heavily.

Diesel fuel and gas work but not much of an improvement (or worse) over weedkillers.

Putting black plastic over an area works decent but its not always practical and takes time. Its probably best for garden type situations.

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Mon. Aug. 13, 2018 10:54 am

I did the vinegar, salt and soap deal a few weeks ago. It seems to work but I'm not impressed with the results.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Mon. Aug. 13, 2018 11:16 am

coalnewbie wrote:
Mon. Aug. 13, 2018 9:22 am
Wow sunny, that coffee is working great this AM. However wrong, it's all about prioritizing risks. e.g. never point a loaded gun unless you intend to use it etc etc. Do not obsess over minutia that is for sure. This however, comes under the category of a risk that can be minimized so it is worth paying attention to.

Yes it is,.... as is minimizing the tendency for some to stress-out thinking worst-case senarious are the norm.

Applications of common sense often minimize risk and " the sky is falling" stress as well.

Paul

rberq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1300 with hopper
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Anthracite Nut
Other Heating: Oil hot water radiators (fuel oil); propane

Post by rberq » Mon. Aug. 13, 2018 12:09 pm

franco b wrote:
Mon. Aug. 13, 2018 10:05 am
I tried ammonia on cucumber beetles and squash bugs.
It sure did discourage the bugs, by killing the plants.

Return to “Farming & Rural Life”