to allow two crops to be produced in a year instead of one. Maybe

someone will have more info on this.

BigBarney

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Tue. Aug. 14, 2018 10:35 pm

Yep, BB, I knew what you meant. The South American thing sounds logical. It might work in that local if the growing season is long.

rberq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1300 with hopper
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Anthracite Nut
Other Heating: Oil hot water radiators (fuel oil); propane

Post by rberq » Wed. Aug. 15, 2018 9:52 am

warminmn wrote:
Tue. Aug. 14, 2018 9:04 pm
2 4 D ... If they start using that in place of round up people will have a lot more to complain about disease wise, in my opinion.
Per my brother -- no family history of diabetes -- with soldiers like him who were exposed to Agent Orange in Vietnam and develop diabetes later, the VA automatically assumes the exposure caused the diabetes.

Remember that slogan, Better Living Through Chemistry. :o

coalnewbie
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL AnthraKing 180K, Pocono110K,KStokr 90K, DVC
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Invader 2
Baseburners & Antiques: Wings Best, Glenwood #8(x2) Herald 116x
Coal Size/Type: Rice,
Other Heating: Heating Oil CH, Toyotomi OM 22

Post by coalnewbie » Wed. Aug. 15, 2018 8:11 pm

warminmn

Post by warminmn » Wed. Aug. 15, 2018 10:25 pm

I researched that link some. The statistics shown were in PPB (parts per billion). Usually it is PPM (parts per million) so the link is detecting really really small amounts. This link is about 1.5 yrs old but shows parts per million https://www.bestfoodfacts.org/glyphosate-in-food/ the amounts could be different now.

Im not trying to make it look safe but its not as bad as the link seems to try to show.

One thing that interested me most was Cheerios. Right on the box cover they say they are "not made with GMO ingredients". Yet they are detected. It kind of shows that spray drift is getting to the other crops, or they use grains with some allowed amount, I dont know, but isnt a real accurate statement to have on its cover.

Still, they are at about 1/25th the allowed amount... IF the allowed amount is actually a safe amount is another question.

It was nice to see some of the breakfast products that claimed to be organic had zero or close to zero amounts in them. It does show that organic is likely better if you want to buy it and not just a sales pitch.

BigBarney

Post by BigBarney » Thu. Aug. 16, 2018 12:31 pm

Now the news is out.... Quaker Oats allow their oats to be sprayed with round up

before harvest... I bet in all the GMO crops of corn, and soybean you will find a

contamination with roundup especially where the crop rotation is those two..

http://agnetwest.com/brazilian-judge-suspends-glyphosate/

"Because the new crops are resistant to Roundup, the herbicide can be used in the fields to eliminate unwanted foliage. Current Roundup Ready crops include soy, corn, canola, alfalfa, cotton, and sorghum, with wheat under development. Roundup Ready crop seeds have notoriously been referred to as "terminator seeds."

What food products contain glyphosate?
Specifically avoid the following items as they contain overly high residue amounts:

Soy (this means soy products and soy or vegetable oil)
Corn and corn oil.
Canola seeds used in canola oil.
Beets and beet sugar.
Almonds.
Dried peas.
Carrots.
Quinoa.

http://fortune.com/2018/08/15/roundup-in-cheerios ... ed-killer/

They admit using it to dry the crops before harvesting to save time .

The only reason some of the products fall below the limit is because so little

oats are in the product , like granola bars , probably only 30% oats and all the

other ingredients compose the majority of the bars.

Best to stay organic , and now the organic companies should sue for the

contamination of their fields by nearby farmers who can control the over spray.

There will be a lot more on this in days ahead.

BigBarney

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Fri. Aug. 17, 2018 8:45 am

warminmn

Post by warminmn » Fri. Aug. 17, 2018 8:58 am

Great link! I do think the PPB (parts per billion) number sounds so much worse than PPM does. Most people dont even notice the B instead of the M.

Tanu

Post by Tanu » Wed. Nov. 06, 2019 3:40 pm

So I don't post much... If you haven't see me on here names Kaity... But I have a bit of food for thought for you. My son has food allergies. It's been miserable but that's another story. the funny thing is he only shows reaction to the following crops; corn soy wheat dairy canola and banana peels. The bananas themselves seem ok.

These are all crops that rely on heavy pesticide herbicide use. Unfortunately prior to his birth, not well pregnant, I was regularly in contact with a huge variety of pesticides and herbicides (think estate gardener) and other chemicals and heavy metals ( art school).

Never in my wildest dreams would I have made the connection. but a doctor actually asked me to fill out a checklist of chemicals I had been in contact with. I checked yes to most of four pages.

Never did anyone warn me that art school or professional gardening could cause impact to my future children's health.

To this day I believe chemicals have a place in land management. How else do you devastate a couple acres of knotweed? But I wish I had known more than I was ever taught about safe use years ago.

keegs
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby (main floor)
Coal Size/Type: nut

Post by keegs » Sat. Nov. 16, 2019 9:29 am

franco b wrote:
Mon. Aug. 13, 2018 10:05 am
What are other remedies for weed killing. I seem to recall lemon juice or garlic.
crop rotation, keeping field margins mowed, mechanical weeding, soil fumigant practices, using cover crops, seeding density are a few that I know.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sat. Nov. 16, 2019 10:08 am

From a farmers perspective. Nothin wrong with round up if used as directed--as far as serious food allergies, ya got to be real careful no matter what. Round up did not cause the allergies but surely aggravate the problem as will MANY other things!!

warminmn

Post by warminmn » Sat. Nov. 16, 2019 11:12 am

And I'll start a list of paid volunteers to come to my area and pull and/or hoe weeds all summer long if its banned and I bet there will be no takers.

Every way imaginable was used to control weeds before roundup and the only thing that worked was hours of extra labor per acre. Good luck finding anyone to do that again. So then its lower yields, more weeds in prepared foods which raises allergy and poison risks, higher grocery price and complaints about that. Find a better alternative to Roundup and it will disappear. Until then, thats where we are at.

NoSmoke
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: New Yoker WC90
Baseburners & Antiques: Woods and Bishop Antique Pot Bellied Stove
Coal Size/Type: Stove/Nut/Pea Anthracite
Other Heating: Munchkin LP Boiler/Englander Pellet Stove/Perkins 4.108 Cogeneration diesel

Post by NoSmoke » Tue. Feb. 25, 2020 5:56 am

Round Up is both good and bad. Ironically, the environmentalists hate it, but it has done a lot of good environmentally speaking.

For weed control we used to deep till in the Spring which consumed fuel, pumped exhaust into the atmosphere, and caused soil erosion from wind and rain. Then to knock down the weeds that grew after the corn was planted, we cultivated. Again, this burned fuel, pumped exhaust into the air, and caused soil erosion from wind and water.

The use of Roundup stopped all that.

Now there is no-till farming, a common practice that Round-Up Ready corn really made possible, and after the corn is planted, Round-Up knocked down any remaining weeds.

I am not going to bat for Round-Up, I have the rarest form of cancer from its kissing cousin, but a lot of people do not realize the positive environmental impact that Round-Up helped achieve.

NoSmoke
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: New Yoker WC90
Baseburners & Antiques: Woods and Bishop Antique Pot Bellied Stove
Coal Size/Type: Stove/Nut/Pea Anthracite
Other Heating: Munchkin LP Boiler/Englander Pellet Stove/Perkins 4.108 Cogeneration diesel

Post by NoSmoke » Tue. Feb. 25, 2020 6:08 am

There are 300 new cases of Pituitary Cancer per year out of a country of 300 million, making it the most rare form of cancer there is. Where it came from will shock you...

Agent Orange

When my father and I got the same diagnosis a few years ago, it was clear, something so rare had to be genetic, so we looked into it, and that is what our two different doctors told us. My father did River Patrols in Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia and got doused 6 times directly by overhead spray.

Agent Orange is a kissing cousin of Round-Up in the way it mutates in living cells which is why it is so effective as a weed killer. This is also why the cancerous effects of Agent Orange are passed through the sperm of the affected Vietnam Veteran to his children, and then continuing to his grandchildren...and up to five generations.

It does not matter granted, we got what we got. By that I mean, would it matter if it came from years of welding? I got, what I got, and cannot change that, but Agent Orange wrecks the endocrine system, and why I got Thyroid Cancer, Pituitary Cancer and now Lymphoma.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Tue. Feb. 25, 2020 6:25 am

NoSmoke wrote:
Tue. Feb. 25, 2020 6:08 am
There are 300 new cases of Pituitary Cancer per year out of a country of 300 million, making it the most rare form of cancer there is. Where it came from will shock you...

Agent Orange

When my father and I got the same diagnosis a few years ago, it was clear, something so rare had to be genetic, so we looked into it, and that is what our two different doctors told us. My father did River Patrols in Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia and got doused 6 times directly by overhead spray.

Agent Orange is a kissing cousin of Round-Up in the way it mutates in living cells which is why it is so effective as a weed killer. This is also why the cancerous effects of Agent Orange are passed through the sperm of the affected Vietnam Veteran to his children, and then continuing to his grandchildren...and up to five generations.

It does not matter granted, we got what we got. By that I mean, would it matter if it came from years of welding? I got, what I got, and cannot change that, but Agent Orange wrecks the endocrine system, and why I got Thyroid Cancer, Pituitary Cancer and now Lymphoma.
My dad also did river patrols for two tours on the Mekong, and has type II diabetes and a very specific heart condition that has been linked to agent orange exposure. I have not seen anything conclusive about the effect of agent orange on subsequent generations other than an increased risk of spina bifida - and I think that is under fairly specific conditions. If you have some links to articles with supporting information, I would be interested in reading them.

Return to “Farming & Rural Life”