Nice Sugar Maple

NoSmoke
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: New Yoker WC90
Baseburners & Antiques: Woods and Bishop Antique Pot Bellied Stove
Coal Size/Type: Stove/Nut/Pea Anthracite
Other Heating: Munchkin LP Boiler/Englander Pellet Stove/Perkins 4.108 Cogeneration diesel

Post by NoSmoke » Fri. Oct. 13, 2017 6:38 am

I have been cutting around this Sugar Maple all summer, and last week when the Mat Log Market opened back up after a year off, I decided it was time to put a little more daylight on ye ole swamp.

These are the biggest at 34 and 36 inches in diameter, but were clear for 30 feet up making for some nice logs. The Ash trees around them were just as nice, and about the only thing Maine has going for it right now is that the Emerald Ash Borer has not hit yet, so we are getting pretty high prices for Ash. Even then my foresters are all telling me...cut every ash tree you can. The Emerald Ash Borer is coming and already in New Hampshire.

Please don't judge the condition of my woodlot. We are part of the American Tree Farm System, but am working on clearing a few spot for new fields. Normally I do NOT log this hard!
140.jpg
.JPG | 588.8KB | 140.jpg
144.jpg
.JPG | 361.5KB | 144.jpg
149.jpg
.JPG | 476KB | 149.jpg
161.jpg
.JPG | 552.7KB | 161.jpg
179.jpg
.JPG | 710.3KB | 179.jpg

VigIIPeaBurner
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystoker Koker(down)
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vermont Casting Vigilant II 2310
Other Heating: #2 Oil Furnace

Post by VigIIPeaBurner » Sat. Oct. 14, 2017 10:47 am

An article that I read recently stated that we in the NW NJ and NE PA area have 4 years to decide what to do with the ash trees. My wooded lot is too small to log on a commercial scale but I watch the health of the trees. There are a number of ash that are 22+" with 6' or longer clear/straight bolt. Two years a small ash died after several years of more and more leafless branches. This spring I noticed a crown branch on a 26" ash was leafless.

It wasn't more than 20 years ago the the Hemlocks is the cool glens started to succumb to the wooly adelgid. They're mostly gone now and hardwoods are taking over. There's still a few hemlock shaded glens out there but they aren't as common as they once were. Chestnuts, Hemlocks, now Ash ...

Hambden Bob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman 1998 Magnum Stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Blower Model Coal Chubby 1982-Serial#0097
Coal Size/Type: Rice-A-Roni ! / Nut
Other Heating: Pro-Pain Forced Air

Post by Hambden Bob » Sat. Oct. 14, 2017 10:53 am

Due to importing,the Invasive Species Curse has left it's mark,fer sure. Ohio's Ash Trees have definitely taken it hard in the caboose due to the dreaded Emerald Ash Borer.... Yes,plan now for the definite Species Devastation coming. Some Folks have tried to store ahead in an effort to repropagate the Species after the Borer's have passed. We shall see what can be done. They're still trying to come up with a variety of Chestnut that will stand up to the Blight. If my muddled mind serves me correctly,I think that they may have come up with some good progress !

NoSmoke
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: New Yoker WC90
Baseburners & Antiques: Woods and Bishop Antique Pot Bellied Stove
Coal Size/Type: Stove/Nut/Pea Anthracite
Other Heating: Munchkin LP Boiler/Englander Pellet Stove/Perkins 4.108 Cogeneration diesel

Post by NoSmoke » Tue. Oct. 17, 2017 5:15 pm

Yes they have. It is quite an ordeal to legally plant the new strains of Chestnuts, but it is something I have been thinking about doing. It is a lot of responsibility, but a friend of mine does, and it is an interesting pastime.

The wooly adelgid and emerald ash borer have not got here yet, but I did get hit by the European Larch Bark beetle pretty hard. Of all of them, the wooly adelgid is the worst because 28% of my forest consists of Eastern Hemlock.

uggabugga
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 30-95
Other Heating: Harman Hearth Hero

Post by uggabugga » Tue. Oct. 24, 2017 4:05 pm

that is some beautiful wood.

here in Maryland we have EAB but it doesn't affect me since ash isn't that common in this area.
but almost as bad is leaf scorch. I've got at least 6 southern red oaks dying of that right now, and stand to lose dozens more. I want to start planting replacements now but don't know if I should go with a white oak, that is supposedly less susceptible, or with hickory and black walnut that I'm almost positive will be completely resistant.

Hambden Bob

Post by Hambden Bob » Tue. Oct. 24, 2017 6:49 pm

All Good Choices with their own set of Good Questions..... What do You want to leave behind as Your Legacy of Your Wood Lot's Management ? Perhaps You could Clear 'Da Air by sitting down with a Competent Arborist. You may even break new ground by reaching out to an area College that has County Extension Service Agents in the Arbor Sciences that have compared notes on Resistive Replacement Species that may stand the coming waves of Destructive Invasion Artists... No Small Task,but with a Good Heart Well Armed with Care and Knowledge,You'll leave something behind that beats the Living Daylights out of a Tombstone ! What the Hell,Call it Grampa's Last Stand,Literally ! Good Luck,and Good Planting !

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Wed. Oct. 25, 2017 2:25 pm

Hambden Bob wrote:
Sat. Oct. 14, 2017 10:53 am
Due to importing,the Invasive Species Curse has left it's mark,fer sure. Ohio's Ash Trees have definitely taken it hard in the caboose due to the dreaded Emerald Ash Borer.... Yes,plan now for the definite Species Devastation coming. Some Folks have tried to store ahead in an effort to repropagate the Species after the Borer's have passed. We shall see what can be done. They're still trying to come up with a variety of Chestnut that will stand up to the Blight. If my muddled mind serves me correctly,I think that they may have come up with some good progress !
Yes, progress is being made toward bringing back the American Chestnut. There's programs run by NYS just west of here and by other groups in other parts of the state.

http://www.esf.edu/chestnut/

http://www.esf.edu/chestnut/documents/10000-chest ... t-2016.pdf

Melissa's oldest brother was involved with a program near Stockbridge Mass that I'm told was also seeing some good results.

http://www.berkshireoutdoorsman.com/2013/07/19/ho ... tnut-tree/

Paul

Hambden Bob

Post by Hambden Bob » Wed. Oct. 25, 2017 2:36 pm

Thanx for the links,Paul ! Much like Honey Bees having run afoul of mites and fungus,American Tree Species are in trouble,and it's Good to learn about how to fight,and repopulate... I now have more Good Reading !

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Wed. Oct. 25, 2017 3:44 pm

Hambden Bob wrote:
Wed. Oct. 25, 2017 2:36 pm
Thanx for the links,Paul ! Much like Honey Bees having run afoul of mites and fungus,American Tree Species are in trouble,and it's Good to learn about how to fight,and repopulate... I now have more Good Reading !
No matter how bad things get, there's all ways hope, because there's always people who can solve problems (except in Washington).

If there was a problem with bees dying off, you couldn't tell by the way things have been around here for many years. Every year I see more and more bee boxes on local farms. I think it's being driven by the high prices they are getting for honey. They are flooding the local farmer's markets with all kinds of honey and honey products. Just about every other table has someone selling the stuff.

Looks like it's not only saved us from any bee colony die-off problems, it's been great job security for the bees. ;)

Paul

Return to “Farming & Rural Life”