Nothing Runs "You" Like A Deere

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW), ComfortMax 75

Post by lsayre » Wed. May. 24, 2017 11:35 am

Per Eric Peters, when you purchase a new one you are effectively signing a lifetime rental agreement. Beware!!!

https://ericpetersautos.com/2017/05/23/nothing-runs-like-deere/

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Wed. May. 24, 2017 1:02 pm

Interesting and actually a real good read. Im sure he's right about the computer codes and things, but I can almost read his ignorance of farming in general.

A new tractor really shouldnt need any or much warranty work, other than something you discover right away like loose parts or a defective one possibly. Most dealers would fix them under warranty regardless of whether you did some work yourself or the dealer would find himself not selling tractors to the farmers neighbors cuz word gets around quickly on these things in farm country. Nobodies gonna shell out $100,000+ to a jerk when theres another man down the road that will treat him well. Lose parts sales and labor cost and they are out of business. They rely on repeat customers as their customer base is shrinking daily on farm equipment.

Sometimes these writers need to see past their own noses.

its really no different than the computers we are all using, the agreement parts.

davidmcbeth3
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea/anthra

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Wed. May. 24, 2017 1:07 pm

Change contract ... add to bottom:

Purchaser owns all rights to all material and all non-material and all tangible and all non-tangible things contained on, in, or within the product purchased; this succeeds any previously agreed upon terms and if conflict with another part of contract is discovered, this part controls.

Easy to change contracts ..; I do it all the time. When the $$$ is in front of their face, they'll agree to almost anything.

KLook
Other Heating: Wishing it was cold enough for coal here....not really

Post by KLook » Wed. May. 24, 2017 4:00 pm

A new tractor really shouldnt need any or much warranty work, other than something you discover right away like loose parts or a defective one possibly.
Seriously????? I know several people that have bought new JD tractors up into the 100+ hp range and they are not the old 8n or 9n or NAA Fords(they break down)....the complexity to conform to gov. regs adds unnecessary systems to what should be a basic machine that can sit out in the field for a year and fire up....
I would further imagine that the real big boys in farming don't buy anyways, they lease. Then I can see this being realistic.

Kevin

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Wed. May. 24, 2017 4:24 pm

Yes seriously.

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Wed. May. 24, 2017 6:33 pm

davidmcbeth3 wrote: Purchaser owns all rights to all material and all non-material and all tangible and all non-tangible things contained on, in, or within the product purchased;
This is about copyrights, you can;t unilaterally change the ownership of copyright. When you buy a CD for example what you own is a plastic disc. You do not own the contents of the disc. You have been granted a license with that purchase to listen to the material on the disc for your own personal use. Because of a specific provision in copyright law called the Audio Home Recording Act you can even legally make copies as long as it's for your personal use. If you sell the disc you need to either give the purchaser those copies or destroy them... at least if you want to follow the letter of the law.

As far how it pertains to this topic it's very cheap to manufacture the same thing, what a lot of manufacturers are doing is producing a singular product and limiting it's ability with proprietary code. For example if you walk into Wally World and are looking at line of point and shoot cameras from the same manufacturer they may all be the exact same camera with the exception of the code that limits what it can do. The very earliest example I can think of is DV camcorders, some had a specific feature called passthrough where you could hook a VHS deck to them and they would convert the video to DV. That video stream could then be recorded to digital tape or passed onto computer over firewire. In England such a device has a hefty tax, cameras imported there had that feature disabled in the firmware.

This gets even more tricky with the DMCA, whether or not you have the right to copy a DVD for example is a moot point because of the DMCA. Breaking a copy protection sytem itself is illegal, even if you could legally posses a copy you need to break the law to get it.

KLook

Post by KLook » Wed. May. 24, 2017 8:48 pm

This is much the same as Rhapsody and Pandora etc. I paid money to build a library of music and it was only mine as long as I paid the bribe....Even though I paid for specific albums or songs, I had to pay the bribe....I gave up on it and told them to stick it...the library continued to exist in my phone and computer....once I updated to Windows 10, it opened up the whole library again..... :annoyed:

Kevin

KLook

Post by KLook » Wed. May. 24, 2017 8:53 pm

And I have friends that will never buy another Deere. Why pay extra for a green paint job? Kubota is the favored machine until you get into the really big stuff. They are all made in Brazil, or Mexico, or etc.....hell, Komatsu is made right here in Chattanooga.....go figure.

Kevin

Return to “Farming & Rural Life”