Sub-Compact Vs Compact Tractors.

EarthWindandFire
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Leisure Line Lil' Heater.
Other Heating: Oil Furnace and Kerosene Heaters.

Post by EarthWindandFire » Fri. Feb. 24, 2017 11:19 am

I have a new Honda 9-hp wheeled Snow blower. She does a great job, but I have 4 residential driveways to do. Two of those belong to my elderly neighbors, so I take care of them.

I'm thinking of getting a sub-compact tractor that can use a front-mounted snow blower and possibly a rear-mounted snow plow.

The thing is, I just lost my dog, a beautiful 200-lb Mastiff. So, I'm kinda having an early mid-life-crisis. It's either a Tractor, Harley Davidson or a Corvette. But, I'm also paranoid and have lost many friends to motorcycle accidents and heart attacks from shoveling snow, which is why I bought the Honda a few years ago. I'm hoping the Tractor can take my mind off losing my dog.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but engines under 25 horsepower aren't yet required to have emissions equipment which makes them more reliable and less expensive to repair and maintain?

titleist1

Post by titleist1 » Fri. Feb. 24, 2017 12:10 pm

EarthWindandFire wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but engines under 25 horsepower aren't yet required to have emissions equipment which makes them more reliable and less expensive to repair and maintain?
First off....very sorry about your dog, a very tough thing to go through.

I have the same understanding as you but admittedly I tend to look for older 'pre-tier' equipment rather than new so I may be out of date with respect to the reg's. As I understand it 25hp or less and the equipment has to meet Tier III standards which usually means no DPF but only EPA engine tuning to achieve the required exhaust levels. If over 25 hp then you get into Tier IV requirements for exhaust which means the DPF and regens.

windyhill4.2
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1960 EFM520 installed in truck box
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404 with variable blower
Coal Size/Type: 404-nut, 520 rice ,anthracite for both

Post by windyhill4.2 » Fri. Feb. 24, 2017 12:25 pm

It is a painful thing to lose a good pet,been there quite a few times.

I haven't kept up with the emissions regs,can't help there.
I would suggest getting a tractor with a front end loader & put a pto run snowblower on the 3 point.Yes,it is a bit of a pain backing up to blow snow,but there will be times when the loader will be your best choice & the loader can be used for all kinds of stuff all yr long. :gee: :flex: They make some real nifty bucket attachments too for improved & speedier handling of snow.

Just my personal choice/opinion. :)
Last edited by windyhill4.2 on Fri. Feb. 24, 2017 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EarthWindandFire
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Leisure Line Lil' Heater.
Other Heating: Oil Furnace and Kerosene Heaters.

Post by EarthWindandFire » Fri. Feb. 24, 2017 12:29 pm

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the condolences!

I'm leaning toward a Kubota BX series, partly because a dealer is just down the road. Any feedback on those machines in general?

windyhill4.2

Post by windyhill4.2 » Fri. Feb. 24, 2017 12:32 pm

I do not follow all the reviews & general acceptance of the different makes & models,but in talking to a friend who has a tractor repair shop,he says that one can hardly ever go wrong with any Kubota. You might goggle for reviews on your specific model & average those all together for your decision.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Fri. Feb. 24, 2017 12:42 pm

Kubota makes nice equipment, I know many people that are happy with them. If you have a local dealer that makes it an easy choice. :)

I agree with David, a loader on the front and a blower on the back will make short work of any snow.

grumpy

Post by grumpy » Fri. Feb. 24, 2017 12:46 pm

Go up to the B series, do it now, if you don't you will only do it later. That is if you have any amount of property.

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Fri. Feb. 24, 2017 1:04 pm

I have a John Deere 110, 43 HP compact. It weighs 4 tons and is lousy plowing with it, I'll stick with the F350 and 8' Fisher plow.

grumpy

Post by grumpy » Fri. Feb. 24, 2017 1:16 pm

BTW, I have a B2920, I ended up putting my old Wheelhorse back in service to plow snow. That might work for you if you can find one, they were the best little lawn tractors ever built...

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/forum/3-wheel-horse-tractors/

windyhill4.2

Post by windyhill4.2 » Fri. Feb. 24, 2017 1:33 pm

Now we do not want to get the Wheel Horse/John Deere/Cub Cadet/Case/Etc. garden tractor war going when trying to decide what Kubota to buy. I would much rather the pre-mentioned Kubota than the pre-mentioned Wheel Horse myself.BUT...

As coaledsweat said,it is hard to beat a truck with plow for speed,warmth inside the cab when the cold wind is raging & the ability to move a greater distance between jobs without taking hrs to get there. My F250SD with a Western 8.5' plow is an impressive mover of snow,even the 32" snow we had in Jan. 2016.

grumpy

Post by grumpy » Fri. Feb. 24, 2017 1:49 pm

windyhill4.2 wrote:Now we do not want to get the Wheel Horse/John Deere/Cub Cadet/Case/Etc. garden tractor war going when trying to decide what Kubota to buy. I would much rather the pre-mentioned Kubota than the pre-mentioned Wheel Horse myself.BUT...

As coaledsweat said,it is hard to beat a truck with plow for speed,warmth inside the cab when the cold wind is raging & the ability to move a greater distance between jobs without taking hrs to get there. My F250SD with a Western 8.5' plow is an impressive mover of snow,even the 32" snow we had in Jan. 2016.
I'll add the fact I can buy a plow for my truck at half the cost of what a plow for my Kubota would be..

D-frost
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman MK ll
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Yukon Eagle I (multi-fuel oil, wood/coal)
Baseburners & Antiques: Herald 'fireside oak'
Coal Size/Type: nut/stove-Blaschak/Lehigh

Post by D-frost » Fri. Feb. 24, 2017 2:19 pm

Just my opinion:
Keep the Honda, and go get a "puppy". Kubota, John Deere, Harley, & Corvette are not "mans best friend".

qbwebb

Post by qbwebb » Fri. Feb. 24, 2017 2:25 pm

I have a 39 Hp Montana tractor (bought lightly used w/ 32 hrs) & I have a cabelas 6' rear PTO blower with articulating chute (up down and rotation to direct snow).

This is the first winter we had measurable snow to use it to the full potential and it was fantastic (I purchased in the summer after 2015 winter when Boston area had the record snow). It also helped Cabelas was selling off woods implement line so there was a nice discount. I 2nd the comment to keep the bucket in the front. Take a 1" piece of steel pipe and cut a slit along the length then pound into the bucket lip. You now can float the bucket along a gravel drive and scrape up small snow falls where the blower would grab more rocks/gravel and not dig up the ground. Really is nice having both, I back drag snow away from house quite often with the bucket then throw with snow blower.

I would look for a used blower in the summer and possibly used tractor. I think they are "toys" for lots of people who end up not using them all that much. tractorbynet is a pretty good user forum if you have questions.

I also have york rake, box blade, sub soiler, bucket teeth, hydraulic splitter, and probably my favorite is pallet forks for the front. Front forks are very handy, used them to remove bed from pickup for frame rot work, lift skids off truck of wall block, bagged coal etc. Lift trees I cut down for log length sawing and save my back. I purchased a new tool box/work bench recently, 440 lbs total. Lifted it off of truck with forks, rotated 90 degrees and lifted up to install casters. I drive my riding mower over the forks and lift it up to spray the deck down with fluid film. Just don't ever go underneath a load.

titleist1

Post by titleist1 » Fri. Feb. 24, 2017 5:49 pm

qbwebb wrote:I would look for a used blower in the summer and possibly used tractor. I think they are "toys" for lots of people who end up not using them all that much
My strategy has always been to look for used tractors and 'summer' equipment right around fathers day. A lot of upgrades happen then and people look to sell their used stuff then.

I have a Deere 430 with a FEL and it is perfect for loading the bin with coal and as a powered wheel barrow. It is only 2wd and has the hydro control on the dash rather than foot pedal as its only drawbacks. If I came across a nice Deere 855 or 955 w/ FEL (4wd & foot pedal!) for reasonable money I would get it in a minute. I used my neighbors 955 for many years and that model is a rock solid beast.

Hambden Bob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman 1998 Magnum Stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Blower Model Coal Chubby 1982-Serial#0097
Coal Size/Type: Rice-A-Roni ! / Nut
Other Heating: Pro-Pain Forced Air

Post by Hambden Bob » Fri. Feb. 24, 2017 6:35 pm

EW&T.....

Let's start with the PowerPup : A Good Friend of mine had said :"No more Dogs...I'm tired of burying my Friends..."
I told him that I completely understood. 3 months later,he had a Rescue from the Local No-Kill Shelter...... Let that be Your Guide and serve You well !

Now,All I know is that supposed Mid-Life Crisis are for Dweebs... You're obviously no Dweeb,so Your not going to engage in something purported to be a Mid-Life Crisis ! Repeat that atleast 3 times,rinse,spit and travel on Your Merry Way to looking at both types of All Wheel Drive Tractors. Snow shovelling does kill at the least opportune time. - Don't - ! :surrender:

Now,either stay with the paid off Honda Blower,and endure the needed time to move all that snow. What the Hell,it's already paid for ! It's going to have it's moments...

A Tractor with a front mount 2 stage blower needs to be nimble. It will save You time. It's going to cost You. That's Life ! I'd stay away from a plow blade,as You can only stack so much snow in the city. A 2 stage blower with a good chute director system can put the snow where You don't go. It also does well to avoid high piles that obstruct Your vision at aprons leading to and from the street. A simple drawback to a blower could be a schmuck morning paper deliverer who throws the damned thing in the driveway. After getting covered by falling snow,You get to read the daily news with the blower.... Now that's a poor Editorial ! :bang: :gee:

In closing,here's to Your Heart,and Spine ! :flex:

Oh,and P.S. : To Hell with Loose Women,Corvettes and any other Contemptible Swine - Type Devices designed to B.S. You that You're 21 again ! Yeah,I know,I sound like a Real Dweeb !! toothy

Return to “Farming & Rural Life”