Sub-Compact Vs Compact Tractors.

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Fri. Feb. 24, 2017 7:21 pm

It is probably futile for you to resist another dog in time. Just get a small one this time.

Freddy
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Post by Freddy » Fri. Feb. 24, 2017 10:17 pm

Mark, so sorry you had to say goodbye to your dog. Never an easy thing, but, memories in hand and forward we go.

I have an old John Deere that's maybe 16 or 18 HP. Each fall I take off the loader bucket & replace it with a 47" snowblower. It's got a small heated cab and a weight bucket on the back. I have chains for the rear tires, but found I do not need them. I cannot imagine having a snow blower on the back. If it's not on the front, it can't be much fun. If things get desperate in the winter I could swap out for the loader bucket in 20 minutes, but I've never had to. The snow blower is the best.

Kubota is a very good name. I'd own one in a heartbeat, but I fell into the JD and it works for me. Best of luck in your decision.

titleist1

Post by titleist1 » Sat. Feb. 25, 2017 6:50 am

Freddy...do I remember correctly that yours is a 655? Having the front snowblower and cab is a sweet set up! Can you please post a pic of your snowblower on the tractor - Does it attach on the loader arms themselves?

I've looked at blowers, but the loader has always worked well for the small amount of snowfall we get here. I am sure living in the snow belt the blower would be a better choice.

windyhill4.2
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1960 EFM520 installed in truck box
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404 with variable blower
Coal Size/Type: 404-nut, 520 rice ,anthracite for both

Post by windyhill4.2 » Sat. Feb. 25, 2017 8:33 am

titleist1 wrote:Freddy...do I remember correctly that yours is a 655? Having the front snowblower and cab is a sweet set up! Can you please post a pic of your snowblower on the tractor - Does it attach on the loader arms themselves?

I've looked at blowers, but the loader has always worked well for the small amount of snowfall we get here. I am sure living in the snow belt the blower would be a better choice.
A blower certainly is more worthwhile the farther north one lives. We who live towards the southern areas of major snowfall do get more slushy ,heavy,wet snows. I can remember 10+" of heavy wet slushy snow a number of times in the past 5- 10 yrs that tend to just clog a snowblower.A loader or plow work best for that wet snow,but the deep fluffy snowfalls are easiest to deal with by using a blower.

lzaharis
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KAA-4-1 dual fuel boiler
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: former switzer CWW100-sold
Coal Size/Type: rice
Other Heating: kerosene for dual fuel Keystoker/unused

Post by lzaharis » Sat. Feb. 25, 2017 10:08 am

EarthWindandFire wrote:I have a new Honda 9-hp wheeled Snow blower. She does a great job, but I have 4 residential driveways to do. Two of those belong to my elderly neighbors, so I take care of them.

I'm thinking of getting a sub-compact tractor that can use a front-mounted snow blower and possibly a rear-mounted snow plow.

The thing is, I just lost my dog, a beautiful 200-lb Mastiff. So, I'm kinda having an early mid-life-crisis. It's either a Tractor, Harley Davidson or a Corvette. But, I'm also paranoid and have lost many friends to motorcycle accidents and heart attacks from shoveling snow, which is why I bought the Honda a few years ago. I'm hoping the Tractor can take my mind off losing my dog.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but engines under 25 horsepower aren't yet required to have emissions equipment which makes them more reliable and less expensive to repair and maintain?
============================================================================

Good Morning Mark,

This model year 2015-16 is the last year before the Tier 4 regulations require all the extra crap.
Why they simply do not install a catalytic converter on them I will never understand!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The smaller older "Tier 2 and 3" diesels sold are now being detuned by advancing the timing turning the three cylinders into "paint rattle cans" and many people including myself are affected by engine vibrations.

When the engines start running at a higher RPM the rattle can reduces somewhat and what Kubota has done is install rubber mats on the open station tractors to absorb the vibration.

Many dealers tell the customers there is no vibration but you can end up with sub compact or compact mule that will vibrate right up into the steering wheel at low and high idle and that is never good.

It can be overcome by simply correcting the fuel setting on the injection pump and bringing the 3 cylinder engines back to the proper idle to eliminate the rattle can syndrome. The smaller JD 3 cylinder engines are Iseki indirect injection engines. The smaller 3 and four cylinder Kubota engines are also indirect injection engines where a portion of the fuel delivered is returned to the fuel tank.

(changing the fuel settings will violate the warranty(if new) but the engine will not be damaged)
saying that installing a a catalytic converter for this engine will work with no engine issues.

The smaller 2018 engines are soon to to be burdened with the Tier 4 crap.

If you can purchase a mule now or invest in a good used JD 3020 with gear drive and shuttle shift
as you will have plenty of power, no pollution control crap and no loss of power from the use of an automatic transmission. These smaller engines were used for everything including irrigation pumps and generators.

Its easy enough to change the fuel settings by just getting the the few tools you need and an engine repair manual from Foley Engine Service in Massachusetts to set the proper low idle by changing shims and have a tractor that you can enjoy using.

I got so sick from the exhaust fumes from my old firewood processor that I purchased a catalytic converter for the engine and it worked very well and I no longer became ill from the fumes made by the Honda GX 340 gas engine.

The sub compact and compact tractors offered today have their engine exhaust directed under the engine and frame like a small pickup truck or car and that can get really nasty at times if there is no wind.

Some owners of these tractors change the exhaust to direct above the operators station and away from the tractor but a change like this would prevent you from using a front end loader unless you can take it to a muffler shop to have them install the exhaust piping and drill a hole in tractor hood to allow the exhaust pipe to exit through the hood.

The Older JD3020 row crop tractors have the vertical exhaust and do not have that issue.

If you visit http://www.TractorByNet.com you will be able to learn much more about this issue.

plumberman
Stoker Coal Boiler: coal gun 130
Coal Size/Type: pea
Other Heating: solar dhw/samsung mini split/oil

Post by plumberman » Sat. Feb. 25, 2017 6:49 pm

i vote for the harley, [rocker c]. you got the snow blower end covered. look at the bright side, if you get killed on the scooter you were having fun, probably from thinking about fond memories of your pup. instead of the road you were travilen!

ps. thats the scooter I got and it is a total blast. plus I feel your pain just had to put my beagle down this week. yes I have the organ donor part checked on my license. then in time when harley doesn't cut it you add a new pup to the picture. [time heals most wounds, so sorry for the loss] :bighug:

coalder
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: harman sf 160
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: wood parlor stove

Post by coalder » Sat. Feb. 25, 2017 8:22 pm

Sorry to hear of your loss. I currently have two beagles that are 13 & 14 years old; so the handwriting is on the wall.
As far as tractors go, I have a Kubota GR 2010. It has 20 hp Kohler engine hydrostatic drive system, all wheel drive, completely shaft drive and damn near a zero turn unit. I purchased it in 2011 with a mower & snow blower. For my application it is without a doubt the best tractor I have ever owned. With chains it's great. & in heavy snow you just have to take your time. Good luck.
Jim

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Mon. Feb. 27, 2017 10:33 pm

1978 Yanmar 155d...
loader and back hoe...
Gears, 4 wheel drive and a diesel...
Bucketing snow sucks here sloppy wet heavy and sticks to the bucket...
Good for clearing the road/drive intersect...
Get a front blower heated cab 4 wheel drive and hydro...
here is my input check out this video this is my ideal...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FgobCL_-Rk

windyhill4.2
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1960 EFM520 installed in truck box
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404 with variable blower
Coal Size/Type: 404-nut, 520 rice ,anthracite for both

Post by windyhill4.2 » Mon. Feb. 27, 2017 10:43 pm

Snowblowers work great with dry snow... :D

If wet snow is a pain in the bucket,just imagine the pain in the snowblower it would be to clear out. :mad3:

I much prefer moving the wet slop with a bucket or blade,i hate cleaning that slop out of a snowblower. :(

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Tue. Feb. 28, 2017 12:20 am

Now this is the cab I would like Santa... ;)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtM1b9WvzMQ
This guy does some nice mods...
The rubber flap mod seems to solve the wet snow plug up
Snowcrete do a google search for these guys...
Killer blowers they have some wild youtube vids of nasty snow and more...
http://fairmfg.com/products/industrialsnowblowermodels/632si-industrialsnowblower
Yes a very different animal but when in Rome... ;)

coalnewbie
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL AnthraKing 180K, Pocono110K,KStokr 90K, DVC
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Invader 2
Baseburners & Antiques: Wings Best, Glenwood #8(x2) Herald 116x
Coal Size/Type: Rice,
Other Heating: Heating Oil CH, Toyotomi OM 22

Post by coalnewbie » Tue. Feb. 28, 2017 6:37 am

Wow, the elite talking. I spent less in total than a Kubota attachment. This is winter chores being done and in the summer it has a cat 3 hitch and I pull the manure cart everyday. Rubber tracks. Perkins 4 cylinder diesel - fabulous (not a good cold starter until you get the technique) ... Parts are easy and reasonable.

I have a scrap 7' snow plow ready but I am too lazy to fit it. The 5' (indexable) makes a killer ice machine due to the weight. I am saving up for the corvette but I am too stiff and old to get into one. My cab has LED lights, killer heater, defrost, wipers and a backup camera - a cheap addition but really useful. I love it to death. Perhaps a good vinyl wrap would be fun.

jimg
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520 Highboy
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Columbia Kitchen Range in pieces, Monarch Kitchen Range in house
Coal Size/Type: Rice for EFM and Stove/Nut for hand fired

Post by jimg » Tue. Feb. 28, 2017 11:44 am

I have a 2008 Kubota BX2350. I use the FEL for snow removal on a 100' paved driveway and it works well. Use it for too many other things to mention.. I have been very satisfied with this purchase, my only complaint being that year they had a plastic hood which is subject to stress cracking around the attachment points on the frame. Not sure which years they put them on, but the older and newer ones have metal hoods.

Probably around 650 hours on it with zero problems. I do all my own maintenance on this and am a stickler about keeping to the recommended service schedule.

Jim

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Thu. Mar. 02, 2017 6:28 am

Wow, the elite talking.
You can join the elite any time, just get rid of your horses. :)

I do like that snow buggie you have - not sure on availability though. Have never seen one for sale outside of Maine or NH.

k-2
Stoker Coal Boiler: K2- Keystoker
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Stoker Stove
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by k-2 » Tue. Feb. 13, 2018 5:19 pm

Any one have one of those small kubotas with the loader and backhoe. (most uses ones only have the loader)How do you like it and would you buy the same thing again?

snuffy
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman SF250 & Mark III backup
Other Heating: Oil Hot Water

Post by snuffy » Sat. Feb. 17, 2018 7:48 pm

Sounds safe to assume that my Wheelhorse 414 with 48" snow blade is worth more than the $800 I paid for it 20 years ago? I too usually do my elderly neighbors drive ways but my newest tire chains scars asphalt driveways pretty badly.

Return to “Farming & Rural Life”