Dump Trailer Tires: Radial or Bias?

Berlin

Post by Berlin » Fri. Feb. 03, 2017 6:12 pm

windyhill4.2 wrote:
Berlin wrote:In my experience a good - not chinese made - bias tire will blow out less catastrophically and less frequently than a radial for high speed trailer use. Radials get better fuel economy, bounce less, and wear longer, but, there will be a higher failure rate of radials in trailer service. Some of the equipment rental places swear by using LT radials on trailers instead of trailer tires - better quality, fewer failures if you want to go radial.
:roll: ^^^^^
This kind of uninformed ,uneducated thinking is the same as the one about retreads on big truck tires..... Tire tread rubber collected from the highways has proven that tread loss on new tires is more frequent than it is from tires that have been retreaded. Most all tread loss & tire failures like blowouts are caused by UNDER-INFLATION,piss poor maintenance on the tires.
The only way one could claim more failures on radial trailer tires than the bias trailer tires is..... bias tires on frequently used trailers wear out b4 they age to the point of blow out.... radials last longer & if not on a trailer that sees high yearly mileage will last long enough to get old enough to fail. I would still rather run radials on my trailer & throw them away with decent tread depth than to subject myself to the disadvantages of bias tires bouncing everything to death.

I just bought a brand new trailer for my business,i made them install radials.I bought from a dealer who sells trailers from major manufacturers. My preference would have been to have bought from a family run trailer manufacturer in a nearby town.... BUT,when talking to them about a trailer,i asked about radials being installed.The old guy I was talking to informed me with his mis-informed,uneducated rant about how that radial tires were no good & would fail as soon as they warmed up. His mistaken claim was that the steel belts heat up & that is the end of the tire. I asked him if he runs radials on his car... NO, he runs bias ! Well,anyone that thinks bias tires are better needs to spend a few yrs in a semi pulling trailers with radials vs the bias tire equipped container chassis trailer...... then report back to us your findings. :gee:
The issue of LT tires being used on a trailer was brought up earlier & I explained then how the LT tire would not likely be available in a heavy enough load rating in the size the OP was posting about.LT tires usually have 16/32"+ tread depth vs 10/32"on the trailer tire. The deeper tread will run warmer,will wear more erratically,will likely run more miles b4 wearout,which will likely mean it will get even older than the typical radial trailer tire,putting the LT tire into that failure category.
NOT uninformed and uneducated. YOU are WAY off base there. I wouldn't have bothered commenting if I was just pissing in the wind. Thinking that trailer radials are the way to go vs. bias or LT's shows that you have little experience, tire dealer or not. I don't give a *censored* about semi tires.

windyhill4.2
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1960 EFM520 installed in truck box
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404 with variable blower
Coal Size/Type: 404-nut, 520 rice ,anthracite for both

Post by windyhill4.2 » Fri. Feb. 03, 2017 7:42 pm

Berlin, it is just plain stupid to call someone way off base & non-experienced when you obviously know very little about tires period.
FACT : Trailer radial tires are far better than bias trailer tires for most uses. I did mention the exception earlier.

Fact: An LT tire in 15" will not have sufficient load rating,at least not in the size that the OP posted about. :)

windyhill4.2

Post by windyhill4.2 » Fri. Feb. 03, 2017 7:58 pm

Berlin.... if you can post a link that shows LT225/75R15 tires with the same load rating in either D or E (8 or 10ply) as the ST225/75R15...
I am always ready to learn something new,but so far I have not found the LT to match the ST load capacity for this size.

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Sat. Feb. 04, 2017 9:42 am

Google my friend...
Got nuttin' in this fight... ;)
Well I do have a small 3500 lb 6x8...
Just an interest in the load ratin' debate...
Looks to be a fair amount of higher rated radials...
Just an aside...
Put higher rated Toyo's on the truck and they wore better...
http://blog.tirerack.com/blog/make-driving-fun/power-king-towmax-str-vs-towmax-str-ii-trailer-tires
http://tires.tirerack.com/tires/Trailer%20Tires%20Load%20Range%20E
https://www.google.com/search?q=+LT225%2F75R15+tires+#q=lt225%2F75r15+load+range+e
Carry on... :lol:

windyhill4.2

Post by windyhill4.2 » Sat. Feb. 04, 2017 11:12 am

CapeCoaler,thanks for those links....
Verified what I posted early in this thread.... no LT tires with D or E load rating in the 2257515 size.

MAYBE... if one hunted the www hard enough & long enough,they could find some oddball company to order them from,but availability in a pinch would be a bummer.
For the 15" tire size,it seems like going with the ST tire is a must,unless one upgraded to 16" wheels & then LT tires are a very good choice. :)

coalkirk
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1981 EFM DF520 retired
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Jotul 507 on standby
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite/rice coal

Post by coalkirk » Thu. Feb. 09, 2017 9:38 am

When I bought my trailer it had original load range D tires that had plenty of tread but were older. Tires do wear out just sitting. The rubber degrades from UV. I bought new Maxxis load range E ST 225/75R tires. They are marked "For trailer use only." No complaints. As I recall they were about $180.00 each.

Something else I remember from a conversation with LSfarm a few years ago is that the radials run much cooler. He made a trip from PA back to home with a full trailer at high speed and was checking them with a laser thermometer along the way.

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Thu. Feb. 09, 2017 10:50 am

Don't see radials on construction trailers.

windyhill4.2

Post by windyhill4.2 » Thu. Feb. 09, 2017 11:18 am

coaledsweat wrote:Don't see radials on construction trailers.
Construction trailer as in a jobsite trailer ?

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Thu. Feb. 09, 2017 11:41 am

windyhill4.2 wrote:
coaledsweat wrote:Don't see radials on construction trailers.
Construction trailer as in a jobsite trailer ?
Yes.

VigIIPeaBurner
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystoker Koker(down)
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vermont Casting Vigilant II 2310
Other Heating: #2 Oil Furnace

Post by VigIIPeaBurner » Wed. May. 03, 2017 1:18 pm

Thank to all who put up a lot of good information - plus a few good discussions :what:

I went with the local tire guys recommendation and put on 4 each Supercargo ST225/75R15 LRE. I also replaced the spare with the same. I was a bit torn about putting the money to balance them and decided it'd be a good idea to try and reduce any additional squirming that might go un-noticed. Right out of the shop I could tell the difference. Smooth trailing even trailing. I've hauled 2 big loads of wet blocked logs to my friend's house clocking around 80 miles in 2 round trips. Feels good loaded and I think it takes the bumps in the road easier. Unloaded there's a big difference.

All 4 OEM bias tires that were on the trailer were nearly bald. They'd bounce at slow or fast speeds. I checked the date stamps on them. All were from mid 2010. If they had usable tread or not, it was time (maybe past time!) to change. Next job is to grease up the bearings and check torque on the lugs. Also have to set up a new WDH shank. New tow vehicle sits a bit higher and the hitch needs more drop to keep the rig level.

CoalHeat
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Baseburners & Antiques: Sears Signal Oak 15 & Andes Kitchen Range
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Post by CoalHeat » Wed. May. 03, 2017 1:22 pm

OOOH! That sounds good!

windyhill4.2

Post by windyhill4.2 » Wed. May. 03, 2017 2:01 pm

VigIIPeaBurner wrote:Thank to all who put up a lot of good information - plus a few good discussions :what:

I went with the local tire guys recommendation and put on 4 each Supercargo ST225/75R15 LRE. I also replaced the spare with the same. I was a bit torn about putting the money to balance them and decided it'd be a good idea to try and reduce any additional squirming that might go un-noticed. Right out of the shop I could tell the difference. Smooth trailing even trailing. I've hauled 2 big loads of wet blocked logs to my friend's house clocking around 80 miles in 2 round trips. Feels good loaded and I think it takes the bumps in the road easier. Unloaded there's a big difference.

All 4 OEM bias tires that were on the trailer were nearly bald. They'd bounce at slow or fast speeds. I checked the date stamps on them. All were from mid 2010. If they had usable tread or not, it was time (maybe past time!) to change. Next job is to grease up the bearings and check torque on the lugs. Also have to set up a new WDH shank. New tow vehicle sits a bit higher and the hitch needs more drop to keep the rig level.
Thanks for the follow-up.No surprise to me as to how you are liking the radials on your trailer,i've used both & hope to never run bias again.Radials definitely take some of the bounce out of the bumps on the road.

Return to “Farming & Rural Life”