Coal Is Nice and Easy, but Some Still Burn Wood

Logs
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby
Coal Size/Type: Nut anthracite
Other Heating: Fireplace and wood burner

Post by Logs » Mon. Jan. 09, 2017 12:33 pm

I get about 80% of my heat from coal, but in those really cold days I need to get the woodburner fired up. Here is a good video on making a vice in the woods to sharpen your saw. I do most of my sharpening in my shop in a vice, but sometimes when your out in the woods and dull your chain on a rock or something in the tree, you need more than a touch up. Nothing's harder than trying to cut a log with a dull saw. :)

https://youtu.be/4fpHn00Ne8w

CoalisCoolxWarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: old Sears rebuilt, bituminous- offline as of winter 2014
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Buckwheat
Other Heating: Oil Boiler

Post by CoalisCoolxWarm » Mon. Jan. 09, 2017 12:53 pm

Good piece of adVICE, LOL!

windyhill4.2
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1960 EFM520 installed in truck box
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404 with variable blower
Coal Size/Type: 404-nut, 520 rice ,anthracite for both

Post by windyhill4.2 » Mon. Jan. 09, 2017 12:55 pm

I always carried extra chains, when/if they all got dull,i just headed back to the shop. For the last 15 yrs. I have had an electric chain sharpener & have not once even "touched up" a chain with a hand file since. I found it easier to change the chain to a freshly sharpened chain than to fool around hand filing the dull chain out in the cold. I always kept 6 chains in use so I did not need to sharpen each chain as it got dull,but could wait until 2 or 3 were dull to fire the sharpener up.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Mon. Jan. 09, 2017 12:59 pm

Thanks for posting that, Dave, neat trick.

My only concern is, that if my chain saw is so dull that it needs more than a touch up, it's gonna be tough to do all that cutting that making that stump-clamp requires.

Like Windy, I don't sharpen outdoors.

Back as a teenager, when I had summer jobs doing seasonal dock building, I learned that whenever we went into the woods to cut dock poles, it's easier to carry already sharpened spare chains in a Tupperware bucket, soaked with bar oil. Then, if a chain got dulled by cutting too close to the ground, a clean, sharp chain can be put on.

The dulled chain, which often has dirt grit in it that contributed to the dulling, went into a plastic bag to be flushed clean and re-sharpened back at the shop. My boss insisted we do that, because it was faster to get back to cutting, and better for the saw instead of running that gritty chain over the bar and sprockets.

Paul

Logs
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby
Coal Size/Type: Nut anthracite
Other Heating: Fireplace and wood burner

Post by Logs » Mon. Jan. 09, 2017 5:20 pm

Like Windy, I don't sharpen outdoors./quote

When I'm cutting in the woods I'm usually carrying a file , couple of wedges, small axe and a chainsaw or two.never needed extra chains. I think if you were cutting in one area and made it before you needed it , then it's a pretty good idea. They make a device that is skittle vice that has 2 spikes on it . You drive into stump and clamp bar in it for sharpening. Things have changed a lot since you and windydave cut wood back in the old days. :clap:

top top

Post by top top » Wed. Jan. 11, 2017 3:28 pm

A little off topic, but you would be amazed at how much we spend for firewood.

Return to “Farming & Rural Life”