Fiat-Allis Dozers, Still Getting the Job Done

waldo lemieux

Post by waldo lemieux » Sat. Apr. 01, 2017 4:56 pm

Rob, how many acres do you guys farm? Is it a dairy or just crops (I hope)? Thats an impressive dozer, Ive never seen mud caulks like those. Best stay off the pavement in August....

coalnewbie
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL AnthraKing 180K, Pocono110K,KStokr 90K, DVC
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Invader 2
Baseburners & Antiques: Wings Best, Glenwood #8(x2) Herald 116x
Coal Size/Type: Rice,
Other Heating: Heating Oil CH, Toyotomi OM 22

Post by coalnewbie » Sat. Apr. 01, 2017 4:58 pm

I guess there is money in dirt. I must keep looking as I must have missed it. :D

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sat. Apr. 01, 2017 8:43 pm

waldo lemieux wrote:Rob, how many acres do you guys farm? Is it a dairy or just crops (I hope)? Thats an impressive dozer, Ive never seen mud caulks like those. Best stay off the pavement in August....
About 30 acres is all we have now. Up until a few years ago it was over 1000. Dad had an opportunity to sell the farm and retire, and by that time my brother and I had gone into different careers. My brother is an independent contractor that installs drainage tile for other farms. At this point I think he is the biggest East of the Mississippi. I guess you could say I am an adviser of sorts...I help with the maintenance of the equipment and an occasional spreadsheet, but I am not involved in the day to day operations. Most of the time, that is fine with me - those guys work in terrible conditions. For one thing, they start putting tile in as soon as the frost is out...which is a lot sooner than any farmer gets out into the field. They work in the wettest fields with the biggest mosquito's, through the summer heat, and their season goes until Xmas, or when the frost gets too deep.

I expect the heated & air conditioned cab on this D8T will be a welcome upgrade to the open station on the previous machine. The cooling system should be fantastic - the fan is hydraulic drive, and it reverses itself to keep the debris blown off the screens & radiator.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Wed. Apr. 12, 2017 8:55 am

The new machine is exceeding our expectations. It is operating in a field that is so wet you can't drive a tractor or John Deere Gator in it. The wide pads keep it from sinking, and the mud growsers send it forward.

101,000 lbs with a full tank of fuel.

Attachments

Qtown1835
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker '81 KA4 (online 1/16/17)
Coal Size/Type: WAS Lehigh Rice (TBD)
Other Heating: EFM SPK600

Post by Qtown1835 » Fri. Apr. 21, 2017 9:45 am

Rob thats an awesome machine. its fun to watch them work. The power is outstanding, with 300hp and takes enough fuel to heat a house for a month :)

Return to “Farming & Rural Life”