FORD 8N Lovers in Here

jubileejerry
Baseburners & Antiques: Wehrle Acme Sunburst 112, Hot Blast wood/coal burner

Post by jubileejerry » Sat. Jan. 21, 2017 8:24 am

That does make things more difficult! The select-o-speed has been almost completely ignored by the aftermarket parts people, and I don't understand that. There are still thousands of them still running but no one is making some of the most important replacement parts like the input shaft and overrunning clutch on the early models. After '63 when the o.c. was eliminated they became very solid, dependable transmissions in my opinion, but for some reason the input shaft splines wear out faster on the diesels. At least someone is making reasonably-priced torque limiting clutches now. A good machine shop can replace the worn shaft splines and heat-treat them. Other new parts we need are the control cables and tubing, and a good PTO shift knob assembly. I've figured out ways to salvage some that were in pretty sad shape and make them work again but it takes a lot of time.

coalnewbie
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL AnthraKing 180K, Pocono110K,KStokr 90K, DVC
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Invader 2
Baseburners & Antiques: Wings Best, Glenwood #8(x2) Herald 116x
Coal Size/Type: Rice,
Other Heating: Heating Oil CH, Toyotomi OM 22

Post by coalnewbie » Sat. Jan. 21, 2017 7:11 pm

I have run into a nice Ford 3000. Do you have any words of wisdom?

jubileejerry
Baseburners & Antiques: Wehrle Acme Sunburst 112, Hot Blast wood/coal burner

Post by jubileejerry » Sat. Jan. 21, 2017 8:20 pm

3000's in good shape are great little tractors I think. I like the diesels better than gas. They are not cold-blooded and parts are easier to get. I'm having no luck finding vacuum-advance units for the distributors and points are a pain to change...there's no room to work in there. Gas tractors are usually cold-blooded because the intake manifold is full of coolant and the manifold stays cold until the whole engine is warmed up. Otherwise,I like them, especially with power steering.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sun. Jan. 22, 2017 9:24 am

coalnewbie wrote:I have run into a nice Ford 3000. Do you have any words of wisdom?
We had one a LONG time ago for a scraper tractor, it was a tough tractor...but I mostly remember it running like crap much of the time. Probably ignition issues and cold weather operation like Jerry mentioned. The 3000 went down the road when we got a 3020 John Deere diesel..which I greatly preferred to the Ford.

I'm with Jerry about the advantages of diesel power, but if you are looking at this for operation within your riding arena, the reduced fumes from the gas job would be an advantage. If someone would come up with an electronic solution for the ignition woes, that would be ideal.

Return to “Farming & Rural Life”