The Hunt for an FEL

titleist1

Post by titleist1 » Sun. Feb. 28, 2016 9:24 am

Well, after many years of my neighbor being generous and letting me use his Deere 955 FEL it has moved on to one of his grandson's. I traded the weed eating along his road front in the summer to use it for snow removal and coal bin filling in the winter. He has moved in with one of his kids and his equipment has begun moving on to the family members.

So I have begun the search for a similar size loader. I am looking at older units, something like a Kubota B2100 or B2400. Only hard requirement is I need the bucket to lift to 5.5' and extend about 2.5' from the front of the tractor like the 955 to dump into the hatch on my coal bin. I am sure I will find other uses besides snow and coal, a back blade would be nice for the stone driveway occasionally; loading & unloading rehabbed stokers would also be nice. An engine hoist for rehabbing lawn tractors would also be useful.

Any thoughts on what I should be checking on various loaders from your experience? Any makes / models that I should stay away from?

SWPaDon
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 1600M
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous
Other Heating: Oil furnace

Post by SWPaDon » Sun. Feb. 28, 2016 10:31 am

I used search tempest, and I only found one close to the horsepower range you specified with 200 miles of Rising Sun, Md.

This one is a little smaller: **Broken Link(S) Removed**

titleist1

Post by titleist1 » Sun. Feb. 28, 2016 10:39 am

I have been scanning CL itself regularly and there are a few candidates within 75 miles. Search Tempest seems to miss quite a few, not sure why that happens but I also notice the same thing when using it to look for stokers and lawn tractors to rehab.

I did see that 750, which is a little pricey when compared to the other listings. I am hoping to find something in the $7500 range from what I have seen listed.

SWPaDon

Post by SWPaDon » Sun. Feb. 28, 2016 11:07 am

Yes, Ive also found that Search Tempest misses a lot. I also found when I was searching for a subcompact that the used ones were darn near the price of a new one. One needed to go back to 20 years old on them to get a low price.

coal stoker
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1986 EFM DF520
Coal Size/Type: Rice/Anthracite
Other Heating: oil fired boiler

Post by coal stoker » Sun. Feb. 28, 2016 3:16 pm

Here is John Deere
**Broken Link(S) Removed**
CS

SWPaDon

Post by SWPaDon » Sun. Feb. 28, 2016 3:20 pm

coal stoker wrote:Here is John Deere
CS
Nice one. Not that it matters a whole lot, but it has twice the hours on it for a thousand dollars less thn the one listed in Delaware above.

coal stoker
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1986 EFM DF520
Coal Size/Type: Rice/Anthracite
Other Heating: oil fired boiler

Post by coal stoker » Sun. Feb. 28, 2016 3:27 pm

Both machines have low hours.
But $1000.00 dollars is still $1000.00.
If we are looking for homeowner use all these machines fit the bill.
CS

SWPaDon

Post by SWPaDon » Sun. Feb. 28, 2016 3:51 pm

coal stoker wrote:Both machines have low hours.
But $1000.00 dollars is still $1000.00.
If we are looking for homeowner use all these machines fit the bill.
CS
Sure is, that's why I said "not that it matters a whole lot". With proper maintenance that machine will probably outlast any of us.

I am curious what else he found locally, though.

titleist1

Post by titleist1 » Sun. Feb. 28, 2016 5:10 pm

Here are some from the area...I don't think I'll have any trouble finding something around here (within 2 hour drive). I was more interested in what you guys have and what you did or didn't like about them and/or what gotcha's to look out for in the machines you have run.

The 855 is one I hesitate to go take a look at. More than I want to spend and I don't want to talk myself into it once it is in front of me!!

The MF is probably a no go because parts for that model are real hard to find. The 2100 looks interesting. I emailed for a few more pics before taking a ride to see it in person.
SWPaDon wrote:Yes, Ive also found that Search Tempest misses a lot. I also found when I was searching for a subcompact that the used ones were darn near the price of a new one. One needed to go back to 20 years old on them to get a low price.
Don...did you end up finding one and if so what did you get?

grumpy

Post by grumpy » Sun. Feb. 28, 2016 5:17 pm

I am on my second Kubota, very happy with them. Take a look at the links I posted for you, lots of good info there....

The enclosed JD looked OK, The cab can cost $4000.00 for a tractor like that.. btw

SWPaDon

Post by SWPaDon » Sun. Feb. 28, 2016 5:58 pm

titleist1 wrote:Here are some from the area...I don't think I'll have any trouble finding something around here (within 2 hour drive). I was more interested in what you guys have and what you did or didn't like about them and/or what gotcha's to look out for in the machines you have run.

The 855 is one I hesitate to go take a look at. More than I want to spend and I don't want to talk myself into it once it is in front of me!!

The MF is probably a no go because parts for that model are real hard to find. The 2100 looks interesting. I emailed for a few more pics before taking a ride to see it in person.
SWPaDon wrote:Yes, Ive also found that Search Tempest misses a lot. I also found when I was searching for a subcompact that the used ones were darn near the price of a new one. One needed to go back to 20 years old on them to get a low price.
Don...did you end up finding one and if so what did you get?
I got a Massey Ferguson GC2400. I would have gotten the Kubota if the brake pedal would have been on the left side. Mine will lift to almost 6 feet in the air, but I don't think it has the 2 1/2 foot clearance in the front that you need.

If I had it to do over, I would have gotten the Kubota.

I also edited your list above. If you can swing it, get that one. I agree with Grumpy.

grumpy

Post by grumpy » Sun. Feb. 28, 2016 6:47 pm

What ever you do don't buy too small !!!

SWPaDon

Post by SWPaDon » Sun. Feb. 28, 2016 7:00 pm

grumpy wrote:What ever you do don't buy too small !!!
I agree 100%.
Mine is the perfect size for what I do here. I mow the grass, till my small garden, move a little dirt and stuff from time to time, move snow from my 100 ft driveway with the FEL, I use the front mounted snowblower when necessary (after about 18 inches it goes on), and I put coal in my basement via the chute I built. I would love to have a cab for wintertime use though.

grumpy

Post by grumpy » Sun. Feb. 28, 2016 7:10 pm

Return to “Farming & Rural Life”