Ford 8N or Jubilee

ASea
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Kast Console II
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Coal Chubby
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114, Glenwood 30 "Estate" Warm Morning 120
Coal Size/Type: Sherman Anthracite Nut/Stove from C&T Coal
Other Heating: Peerless Boiler with Cast Iron Baseboards

Post by ASea » Sat. Feb. 07, 2015 10:56 pm

I am looking at homes with 2-5 acres. Would a Ford 8n or Jubilee be good enough for that acreage? I am open to suggestions. The Farmall Cub seemed cool but didn't appear as substantial.My price range is around $2 to 3000 hoping to find a unit with a few implements. I was looking to use it for snow removal,lawn mowing and maybe to plow a large garden. I plan on getting chickens turkeys and pigs when I get settled. I have entertained the thought of 2 or three small cows who knows.

Thanks

olpanrider

Post by olpanrider » Sat. Feb. 07, 2015 11:07 pm

Got a Harry Ferguson TO-30 very similar to a 8n. have 7.5 acres and a long driveway it has never failed me plowing snow, tilling the garden or drilling the holes for my 32x48 pole barn.

ASea
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114, Glenwood 30 "Estate" Warm Morning 120

Post by ASea » Sat. Feb. 07, 2015 11:11 pm

I had heard you cant use a PTO tiller due to the tractor being to fast? I also heard the sherman step down slows the pto speed?

olpanrider

Post by olpanrider » Sat. Feb. 07, 2015 11:18 pm

yes its a little fast but I don't have much trouble making several passes.. get the tiller spinning then drop it as you enter the garden not the best way to do it but it works.

ASea

Post by ASea » Sat. Feb. 07, 2015 11:25 pm

Good to know. Would I benefit from a sherman stepdown tranny? I am hoping to have an acre garden and can most of what we eat. They seem sturdy and do ok in the snow with chains. My Great Grandfather had an old 8n I wonder where it is?

olpanrider

Post by olpanrider » Sat. Feb. 07, 2015 11:33 pm

if it doesn't slow the pto a Sherman step down splitter would be nice.

Scottscoaled
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520, 700, Van Wert 800 GJ 61,53
Baseburners & Antiques: Magic Stewart 16, times 2!
Coal Size/Type: Lots of buck
Other Heating: Slant Fin electric boiler backup

Post by Scottscoaled » Sat. Feb. 07, 2015 11:47 pm

The slowest speed on a Sherman tranny is still the same as a stock 8n's

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sun. Feb. 08, 2015 4:26 am

Your Grandfather was a wise man! It's not so much about the tractor but the operator :)My Grandfather always said-- "ya gotta be smarter then what your working with" :clap: toothy AND, just remember, them thar small cows tend to become BIG cows--at least up this way. ;) Simon, I'm pretty sure that bush hog is a JD from back in the 40's--50's she was buried in a neighbors tree line & works fine--main seal is bad but works well & don't leak with grease instead of gear oil:)

Attachments

IMG_0003.JPG
.JPG | 101.6KB | IMG_0003.JPG
Last edited by freetown fred on Sun. Feb. 08, 2015 5:20 am, edited 3 times in total.

coalnewbie
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL AnthraKing 180K, Pocono110K,KStokr 90K, DVC
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Invader 2
Baseburners & Antiques: Wings Best, Glenwood #8(x2) Herald 116x
Coal Size/Type: Rice,
Other Heating: Heating Oil CH, Toyotomi OM 22

Post by coalnewbie » Sun. Feb. 08, 2015 4:30 am

It's not so much about the tractor but the operator :)
Wise words as usual. I just love our Jubillee, it's a potent machine in the right hands. That extra weight, hydraulic power and 5-7 HP is well worth it and is used daily and we have owned it for 16 years.. Although I must say I still have a soft spot for our old 8N, it served as well for years also. Best tractor line ever made, although my JD 40S is a contender too when coupled to a 4' Bush Hog (original).

ASea

Post by ASea » Sun. Feb. 08, 2015 8:00 am

Thanks for all the replies. I see allot of Dearborn attachments out there as well. I wouldn't mind the two bottom plow and the flail mower. There is a company called SSB that makes modern aftermarket loaders and front mount snowblowers specifically for the Ford N series. Pretty cool

SheepDog68
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Alaska Kodiak
Coal Size/Type: Harmony Nut, Lehigh Nut
Other Heating: Happy thoughts, good wool and a little propane.

Post by SheepDog68 » Sun. Feb. 08, 2015 8:06 am

There were a number of good tractors in that size range. Either go with what was common in your area or your favorite.

SD

ASea

Post by ASea » Sun. Feb. 08, 2015 8:14 am

We have lots of old Fords on craigslist. Not unusual to see them at a tractor dealer. They seem to be way more straightforward to work on.Lot's of parts for the N series still in production. I just cant see spanding more than $5000 on a tractor. I looked at e New JD 4x4 with a few attachments and it was $30,000 for a new tractor :shock:

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sun. Feb. 08, 2015 8:20 am

Don't look over a diesel 801 series. My dad got one last year and it is a great little tractor. No problems with ethanol gasoline. :)

Ford 801 Powermaster

ASea

Post by ASea » Sun. Feb. 08, 2015 9:04 am

I wouldn't mind an old diesel. I don't know much about them. The biggest issue with any diesel I have heard of seems to be injectors every so often. No turbo to worry about. Is the Ford diesel that much more powerful? I hear the 850 had power steering that would be nice with a loader

jubileejerry
Baseburners & Antiques: Wehrle Acme Sunburst 112, Hot Blast wood/coal burner

Post by jubileejerry » Sun. Feb. 08, 2015 9:56 am

I'd like to put in my 2 cents here. I've had a little experience with it. Both tractors you mentioned are fine tractors for most kinds of acreage work, but there are issues with them you should watch out for. If you get an 8N, look for a late one with the better steering gear and side distributor, not the one down by the front pulley. The early steering gear was known for being loose and letting the front wheels shimmy. To check the bearings on any 48-64 Ford steering gear, put your thumbnail under the steering wheel and turn the wheel a little way left then right and see if it raises and lowers above your thumbnail. If it does, the bearings are bad in the steering shaft. A big weak point on both 8N's and Jubilee's was the rear axles and hubs. Stand beside the tractor and push it sideways at the top of the rear tire and see if it clunks or wobbles, and watch the big axle nut on the end. A lot of them are loose and it's not a cheap fix. 51 and 52 8N's have an extra seal on that rear axle that helps keep grease out of the brakes, which was another weakness in early 8N's. You can tell a tractor that has the extra seals by a bulge in the axle housing just inboard of the outer bearing and brake backing plate.

The Jubilee had its own problems. It still had the axle issues the 8N's had, but the hydraulic system had a habit of hiccuping all the time. It was called the "Jubilee Heartbeat". There were 7 recalls done on them to attempt to solve the problems but a lot of customers didn't bring them in to get them fixed. The original vane pump is a square-bodied unit and to my knowledge there aren't any parts available for it any more. In those days the customer could have had a new piston pump with a round body and 6 head bolts installed for $50 and again some of them didn't want to spend the money. I'd try to stay away from anything with a vane pump on it. Now it's expensive to convert one to the later pump.

As far as tilling tractors they kind of suck, since as has been mentioned before, first gear is too fast. There is a way to make them work better. If you have a Sherman with 3 ranges, the under drive range slows the tractor down pretty good but it also slows the pto speed down. The way I found to help that was to use a tiller made by Befco out of North Carolina. They have a model T40 that was my favorite because it has a chain drive in the case with interchangeable sprockets. One is bigger than the other so when you interchange them it speeds up the rotor, gaining back most of the speed lost to the Sherman. You can do a fairly decent job of tilling then.

The 8N doesn't have live hydraulics or live pto and while it's not impossible to do the work you want to do you will have to plan ahead so you get the lift working when you want it to. At least the Jubilee has live hydraulics. There was a mickey mouse aftermarket kit some people put of Jubilee's to make a kind of live pto for it but none of them I have ever seen worked right. Here's where my 2 cents comes in...I'd rather have a 5-speed tractor with a live pto, starting with 1955 up to 64. There is a code you can look for on those 600 and 800 tractors on the left side of the transmission bell housing right behind the starter on a flat spot where you will also find the serial number. You would be looking for a 6 as the middle number, which will tell you it has a live pto. The first number, a 6 or 8 will tell you it's a utility tractor with a 134 engine (gas) or a 144 engine (diesel) for the 6 or a 172 engine for the 8. The middle number can be a 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, or a 7 or 8 for later Select-O-Speed tractors. That number tells what transmission, hydraulic or guage systems the tractor has. A 4 is a 4-speed with guages and hydraulic lift, a 5 is a 5-speed with hydraulics, guages and standard pto and a 6 is the same thing with a live pto and double stage clutch. The last number is a 0 or a ! which tells about what year the tractor was built. A 0 is between 1955-57 and a 1 is between 58-62. One of the nicest tractors, but really hard to find at least around here is a 661 which is the newer version of the Jubilee with the best hydraulics and a live PTO and a much slower first gear. If possible, I'd suggest trying to find a 660, a 661, an 860 or 861. Lot's of times you can find them for about the same price as a Jubilee because all the "collectors" are wanting them because of the name. If I had those tractors to choose from all in similar condition I'd not pick the Jubilee if I was getting one to use. I hope you don't mind my long-winded answer. Jerry

Return to “Farming & Rural Life”