Salting the Mine

NoSmoke
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: New Yoker WC90
Baseburners & Antiques: Woods and Bishop Antique Pot Bellied Stove
Coal Size/Type: Stove/Nut/Pea Anthracite
Other Heating: Munchkin LP Boiler/Englander Pellet Stove/Perkins 4.108 Cogeneration diesel

Post by NoSmoke » Mon. Nov. 24, 2014 7:17 pm

As most people know, I have 4 daughters and they are of very precious ages; 1, 7,8 and 9. In short that means they are just old enough to understand things and yet still listen to us as parents, want our advice, and are not yet solely entertained by electronic gizmos. That might not apply to the 1 year old, but she just thinks she is a midget 8 year old anyway who just tags along with her older sisters.

The girls were all excited about rocks and minerals this year after we told them about slate, granite and gold that was discovered a few miles from us. We doubted we could find gold, but we like to get the girls outside whenever possible and so we set out to discover some geodes. There are only so many places you can take a 1 year old on a backpack, so we picked our paths carefully, but low and behold, we found some next to some huge boulders next to one of our fields.

Of course I might have salted the mine so to speak by getting up really early, planting some geodes that we bought at a local souvenir shop and helping the girls to "discover" them. It was all in good fun as you can see in the photos, taken with the self-timer on the camera as we had some snacks from our laborious mining! :-)
Kaelyn Backpack (2).JPG
.JPG | 320KB | Kaelyn Backpack (2).JPG

scalabro
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40, PP Stewart No. 14, Abendroth Bros "Record 40"
Coal Size/Type: Stove / Anthracite.
Other Heating: Oil fired, forced hot air.

Post by scalabro » Mon. Nov. 24, 2014 7:19 pm

4 beautiful girls.

You are doomed...lol!

samhill
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: keystoker 160
Hand Fed Coal Stove: hitzer 75 in garage

Post by samhill » Mon. Nov. 24, 2014 7:28 pm

I just love the smiles that only a little one can produce. It's great that you both get out & enjoy time together. By the way, just how many bathrooms are in the house & it's never too early to start stocking TP. ;)

waldo lemieux

Post by waldo lemieux » Mon. Nov. 24, 2014 8:22 pm

Good for you Dad :up:

waldo

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Mon. Nov. 24, 2014 8:27 pm

Nice story.
Raising the kids to be gold diggers?

NoSmoke
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: New Yoker WC90
Baseburners & Antiques: Woods and Bishop Antique Pot Bellied Stove
Coal Size/Type: Stove/Nut/Pea Anthracite
Other Heating: Munchkin LP Boiler/Englander Pellet Stove/Perkins 4.108 Cogeneration diesel

Post by NoSmoke » Tue. Nov. 25, 2014 6:03 pm

That would be a resounding YES!

Even at the tender of age of 18 months, the youngest can say money, and also likes to play with our spare change, and worse yet; when the offering plate at church goes around, she is reaching for it.

That was NOT learned behavior but she has already learned money is a big part of life.

(As for the other 3 girls, we have to equate purchases in terms of "American Girl Dolls". They know each one costs $100 so for us to explain what a $1000 coal purchase would be, we would say, "We bought 10 American Girl Dolls worth of coal."

Which leads me to my next point; the loudest sound in the world is when 4 little girls screech that high pitched girl screech when the American Girl Doll catalog comes in the mail!

davidmcbeth3
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea/anthra

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Wed. Nov. 26, 2014 6:17 am

Hey my grandfather had girl after girl after girl ... #13 was a boy and they stopped having kids at that point ....

And did you notice the bear in the woods right behind ya?

Return to “Farming & Rural Life”