Hay Is Awesome up Here This Year

nuthcuntrynut
Stoker Coal Boiler: wl110 leisure line
Coal Size/Type: rice
Other Heating: ussc pellet stove

Post by nuthcuntrynut » Sun. Jul. 28, 2013 5:21 pm

my Lord hay is thicker than the hair on my exwifes' back! I'm using an old 990 international haybine and wow,it's all she wants to get the hay knocked down. is everyone noticing a big difference in hay crop this year? I may have to put a leantoo on the south side of my barn to hold the extra hay.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sun. Jul. 28, 2013 6:07 pm

YES--it has sucked---rain, rain, flooding fields are like quagmires--are you just doing first cutting---mucho weeds:( sorry ncn, but you asked ;) Friends in Chazy having the same situation

nuthcuntrynut

Post by nuthcuntrynut » Sun. Jul. 28, 2013 6:15 pm

it had been so wet up here I didn't start till mid July, the hay was sucking water laying on the ground, and the Ruts in thefield were wicked, over the last two weeks it's been good weather. the fields dried out nicely, but I'm all alone so the going is slow, need a round baler, just don't like the prices.besides with the spouses horses square is better. raining now, suppose it's back to square one again. did get about half done so far

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sun. Jul. 28, 2013 6:21 pm

Yes, we've gotten some up round & square, but good Lord, bobbin & weaving between storms has been awful--so much hay on the ground just getting chopped & fed now--a lot of it just going to DOT for mulch. What would you be looking for round baler wise? My neighbor has lost a good portion of 400 acres of corn--he ain't real happy. I'm just real thankful I've got most of my winter horse square bales put up--about 50 bales shy--if push comes to shove, I can grab that out of neighbors barns

nuthcuntrynut

Post by nuthcuntrynut » Sun. Jul. 28, 2013 6:29 pm

well a nice 4x4 would be great, I only put up on about 60 acres, so a older baler, maybe small Hesston, or the like

wilder11354
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman SF260 Boiler
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Coal Size/Type: nut or pea, anthracite
Other Heating: crown oil boiler, backup.if needed

Post by wilder11354 » Sun. Jul. 28, 2013 6:36 pm

I started late also, dropped one field about 12 acres put up around 1200 sm sq out of it, still have about 7 more windrows x320' or so long, double rowed(mulch now) in it to do, 45 # approx per square. kicking a sq every 7-9 secs in wagon. dropped a smal patch last weekend, maybe an acre got 120 or so sq., have another 12 acres to do, that will pretty much fill barn to roof beams, and maybe leave a small place to park tractor if I stack it right. Then I have another 40 acres to do, but that I want to sell right out of field as I bale, so if anyone knows anybody that wants it, will make a sweet deal on price for them. Park trailer(s) friday night, they will be ready to haul sunday afternoon.

nuthcuntrynut

Post by nuthcuntrynut » Sun. Jul. 28, 2013 6:49 pm

u got better hay than I do, of course mine hasn't seen any fertilizer for about 7yrs orbetter, it's time for some, even though I have allot nicer hay than normal, but allot of undergrowth thatslows me down a bit. and my property is quite rocky, so for time being discbine is out, that and the cost of one is wicked!

wilder11354
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman SF260 Boiler
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Coal Size/Type: nut or pea, anthracite
Other Heating: crown oil boiler, backup.if needed

Post by wilder11354 » Sun. Jul. 28, 2013 7:03 pm

only fertilized it once 2 years ago, about 100 pounds an acre, 10-20-30., 2 years after I reseed the fields. What it needs is LIME!!! I cut with CIH 8340 sickle mower cut in second high, mostly this season because its late. Bale w JD 336 which I just completely rebuilt this winter/spring. But its down for now, new hydraulic pump on kicker is rattling and buzzing. Hopefully will get it back for this coming weekend, so I can start dropping hay wednesday late afternoon, for weekend baling.

nuthcuntrynut

Post by nuthcuntrynut » Sun. Jul. 28, 2013 7:07 pm

it'salways something, I just hobbed a wagon up to get it through another year, there'salways next yr.

009to090

Post by 009to090 » Sun. Jul. 28, 2013 7:41 pm

2nd cutting about to begin down here. Hay is THICK-THICK-THICK. First cutting yielded 50% more round bales than last year. Yep, it is the never-ending rain, with periods of sunshine in between.
The tobacco plants are about 5ft tall. :fear: Gonna be a bumper-crop.

SMITTY
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520 Highboy
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler

Post by SMITTY » Sun. Jul. 28, 2013 11:49 pm

If I don't mow my lawn soon, I'll have to hay that! :| Been about 3 weeks ...

Yeah everything in our garden is in overdrive this year, along with the fruit trees and blueberry bushes. Been so busy I haven't had a second to pick any - can see the branches in the distance almost touching the ground from all the massive berries on there. 8-) Hopefully the birds will save me a few. One of our apple trees is spitting out apples like crazy! Ground is totally covered. I'll have to round them all up before I mow. Got to get to work on that still too! ;) Don't even know wtf kind of apples these are. Yellow skinned, and taste like *censored*. Pasty - no juice at all. I figure booze is all they'd be good for.

nuthcuntrynut

Post by nuthcuntrynut » Mon. Jul. 29, 2013 9:07 am

SMITTY wrote:If I don't mow my lawn soon, I'll have to hay that! :| Been about 3 weeks ...

Yeah everything in our garden is in overdrive this year, along with the fruit trees and blueberry bushes. Been so busy I haven't had a second to pick any - can see the branches in the distance almost touching the ground from all the massive berries on there. 8-) Hopefully the birds will save me a few. One of our apple trees is spitting out apples like crazy! Ground is totally covered. I'll have to round them all up before I mow. Got to get to work on that still too! ;) Don't even know wtf kind of apples these are. Yellow skinned, and taste like *censored*. Pasty - no juice at all. I figure booze is all they'd be good for.
booze or deer bait

Mark (PA)
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1953 EFM520 Highboy

Post by Mark (PA) » Mon. Jul. 29, 2013 9:18 pm

Also doing second cutting.

Finished all the first cutting right BEFORE we started into the "WET" spring.. Or summer that is! heh.

The second cutting yeild is up also like other say. So thats great.

nuthcuntrynut

Post by nuthcuntrynut » Mon. Jul. 29, 2013 9:27 pm

i don't even want to think about second cut, if I get through this year with any skin left on my knuckles I'mlooking forward to deer season and fall :drunk: lol

Return to “Farming & Rural Life”