Getting Fustrated Now.

wilder11354
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman SF260 Boiler
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Coal Size/Type: nut or pea, anthracite
Other Heating: crown oil boiler, backup.if needed

Post by wilder11354 » Wed. Jul. 24, 2013 8:25 pm

sunday, went up and baled about 3 acres of hay. Half way done pan kicker started to barely clear wagon gate, looked setting was on 3 for kicker, cranked it up to 6, still same turn all the way up to 8.....no difference, now hitting top edge of wagon gate. So I check obvious things, belt tension, fluid level. all good, tuurn on tractor and pto for baler, walk back by kicker, hand trip the pan, it cycles fine. bale again, 2 bales its hitting gate. Leave running walk back again... Loud buzing from line to kicker control valvve. Hmmm... ok maybe pressure regulator is chattering, never replaced O rings inside it. Check them, replaced one, and cleaned out again. test ran tonite , was quiet at first before tripping pan.. trip, and buzzings there again, now I listen by pump on bottom of baler by flywjeel, NEW pumps noisey. got about 1200 bales thru baler, but pump runs all the time when PTO is engaged. so figure about 10>14 hours time on pump. Ran baler for 20 minutes per JD tech to break in pump before baling. All new fluid, new suction screen in tank, new rubber lines, control valve cleaned rebuilt, pan cylinder cleaned and rebuilt. theres steel lines that run length of baler under it for pump lines, I flushed them out with several gallons mineral spirits, and bleew out with air, and also brake cleaned beyween mineral spirit flushes. Flush was comingout clean when I was done.. all done before new pump was installed on baler. Guess I will have to call hydraulic shop order new pump, and see if they will warranty this thing.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Wed. Jul. 24, 2013 8:47 pm

It's just farmin my friend ;) Sorry she's givin ya trouble:(

Freddy
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Post by Freddy » Wed. Jul. 24, 2013 9:53 pm

Snow blowers never die in July.

Balers never die in January.

Sorry to hear the baler is giving you fits. I hope you get it figured out & going real soon. Hang in there.

Dave 1234
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1948 International boiler, EFM S-20 stoker
Coal Size/Type: Buck,

Post by Dave 1234 » Wed. Jul. 24, 2013 10:23 pm

Oh no, not the kicker !
Take a look at the latch valve cylinder. It needs to release after pressure is built in the main thrust cylinder or the action of your kicker will be lazy . The book has a measurement for the springs, if they are broken it will not work. or the seal in that small plunger are bad. Look too at the hardened rolled that the latch rides on.
Hope this gets you going .

Dave

samhill
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: keystoker 160
Hand Fed Coal Stove: hitzer 75 in garage

Post by samhill » Thu. Jul. 25, 2013 8:01 am

Could be worse, there are a lot around here that haven't got their first cutting yet, we are ready for our second with a brand new kicker but can't get enough dry days strung together. I guess we're lucky to be on well drained flatland & not have too much at that.

waldo lemieux

Post by waldo lemieux » Thu. Jul. 25, 2013 6:32 pm

Wildman

By the time you get that thing purring along youll never have to think about trouble shooting it again. the thing'll fart and youll know just which part to look at . And if your in an area with lots of those evil machines, you could turn your knowledge it into money.If not its alot like learning a wife,once ya get her figured out itll be smooth sailing, me, I had to call the coast guard long ago....three different times :oops: toothy

wilder11354

Post by wilder11354 » Thu. Jul. 25, 2013 10:34 pm

reinstalled control valve, went thru press regulator in it. There was one o-ring that had a slight nick, and one backing ring eroded some, so put double o-ring in that grove. test ran it, kicks good(cold), but theres still a buzz in pressure line. went down on knees and got close to pump on baler...its chattering at pump. SOooooo pump needs to come off and go back to hydraulic shop to be warrantied. They're not sure if it will be rebuilt or replaced, they will know saturday morning when I drop it off. personally its new, so I want a NEW pump for $650. not a bad one rebuilt.

Flyer5
Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure Line WL110
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line Pioneer

Post by Flyer5 » Tue. Jul. 30, 2013 8:57 am

Could it be air in the system. The buzzing sounds like it may be cavitation.

coalnewbie
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL AnthraKing 180K, Pocono110K,KStokr 90K, DVC
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Invader 2
Baseburners & Antiques: Wings Best, Glenwood #8(x2) Herald 116x
Coal Size/Type: Rice,
Other Heating: Heating Oil CH, Toyotomi OM 22

Post by coalnewbie » Tue. Jul. 30, 2013 9:51 am

Air in the hydraulics, is it foaming at the pump and are you using the right lubricants? I had exactly that issue and when I drained out the system completely and refilled bingo it was fixed.

Dave 1234

Post by Dave 1234 » Wed. Jul. 31, 2013 11:37 pm

Wilder,
We put up a good bunch today. ...... I forgot one tip we have learned about the pan kickers. The oil tank needs a good VENT . As the system works if the vent is not adaqit the pump starves for a steady supply of oil .

Dave

fifthg
Verified Business Rep.
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: warm morning # 500
Baseburners & Antiques: Peninsular Western Hot Blast No.44K and Reading Foundry & Supply Co.

Post by fifthg » Thu. Aug. 01, 2013 5:57 am

if everything is new,pump ,hoses,oil to proper level,etc.,and pump still cavitates,I would check to see if hoses and piping on suction side of pump are tight and look for a rub through on piping.problems there will allow your pump to suck air,it would cavitate then,a sure sign of suction side leak would be foamy oil

whistlenut
Stoker Coal Boiler: AA130's,260's, AHS130&260's,EFM900,GJ & V-Wert
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Franks,Itasca 415,Jensen, NYer 130,Van Wert
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska, EFM, Keystoker, Yellow Flame
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska, Keystoker-2,Leisure Line
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Alaska, Gibraltar, Keystone,Vc Vigilant 2
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Ford, Jensen, NYer, Van Wert,
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwoods
Coal Size/Type: Barley, Buck, Rice ,Nut, Stove
Other Heating: Oil HWBB

Post by whistlenut » Thu. Aug. 01, 2013 9:53 am

:idea: Remember Murphy's Law, even though you think you have covered all the bases, perhaps some foreign material DID or has gotten into the valving or piping. I sure sounds like a suction side issue, and as you know, it does not take much of a leak to create havoc.......or a huge piece of rubber or crap to disrupt flow.

I might suggest that you go investigating when your mind is clear, and not incumbered with the pressures of the day. Good luck! :idea: :oops: :!:

Dave 1234

Post by Dave 1234 » Mon. Aug. 05, 2013 10:37 pm

Great day to bale. Did you figure out what was the cause of issues with the kicker ?

Dave

Flyer5
Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure Line WL110
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line Pioneer

Post by Flyer5 » Wed. Aug. 07, 2013 12:34 pm

Wilder check your inbox

wilder11354

Post by wilder11354 » Tue. Aug. 20, 2013 9:13 pm

4 weeks later, Eatons Preliminary report on hydraulic pump: failure of pump to to excessive high pressure spikes in system. Huh??? how so I ask myself. go talk to bill H, local JD tech... looks at me and says don't see how thats possible, regulator in system is designed to operate at 2200PSI +/- 200psi. Pumps designed for a max pressure of 3400PSI +/- 200 psi. JD tech says even if regulator fails to high side it still will only produce max pressure its designed for, and if it did fail to high side bales would have been flying over hay wagon and there would have been no change in kicker by turning down kicker control from tractor seat. So now the BS banging heads with eaton thru hydraulic shop I bought new pump thru begins.

JD tech also said before the center section of pump and impeller shaft bushings would have wore out due to high pressure, the pump would have blown itself apart by cracking body, or blowing seals out on thrust plates, and pulley input shaft seal. if pressure was as high as it would have had to been to eroded (roll aluminum) center cavity section.

Big corps definitely don't like backing up there product when it fails.. no wonder why over seas companies are looked at as better producers, they stand behinf thier product... cheaper to have a happy customer, and buy again then piss off, and never buy again.

Return to “Farming & Rural Life”