The Lock Picking Lawyer

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Tue. Sep. 14, 2021 1:20 am

Be aware, you will never look at that front door lock the same. :D I knew many locks were easy to open but the ease at which this guy opens them is a bit scary. Most of the time he is picking them but other times he is just exploiting design flaws that require no skill. Some of these flaws are along the lines of "You have got to be kidding".

Kwikset Ultra Max ...........lol

Electronic lock, apparently many of these types of locks are quite vulnerable to same thing.

Mechanical push button:

Opened with a fork

Anyone can open it.

Freddy
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Post by Freddy » Tue. Sep. 14, 2021 8:10 am

Fun stuff. I was maintenance man at a motel for a couple years and re-keyed a bunch of locks. It was interesting and fun. I learned a lot, but I never got good at picking locks. It's a real art.

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Tue. Sep. 14, 2021 9:23 am

Picking locks is pretty easy once you understand the process. The key is the amount of force on the tension bar, the rest does itself almost.

Richard S.
Mayor

Post by Richard S. » Tue. Sep. 14, 2021 12:13 pm

It's not something I had any knowledge of but I do now. I watched one of these videos and lost a few hours of my life watching others. Haven't tried it yet but I'm pretty confident I can open a lot of cheap locks. Those cheesy locks you see on lock boxes for example, the pick he uses is just a squiggly piece of metal and he rakes it back and forth on the pins and they open immediately. There is no skill involved for those at all and you could make the tool in short time out of a paper clip.

What is more interesting to me is the exploitation of the flaws, if you watch that last video I posted it's a beefy lock and requires skill to pick. However you can open it with nothing more than a hammer, punch, screwdriver and allen key. It makes no sense to engineer a lock that could easily be opened by removing accessible set screws even if they have some type of security head.

Some of the stuff is humorous, he took one of those low costs safes and simply cut it open with a circular saw that had a metal cutting wheel. That's something I would of thought of myself but the point is people are trusting this thing is going to secure their valuables and it's not going to secure anything.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Tue. Apr. 12, 2022 12:08 pm

Old saying, "locks only keep an honest man, honest."

Used to get a laugh at the old Master Lock TV ads where they shoot a lock with a 44 magnum and the lock does not open. What they never show is, if you hit the lock body on top, it's surprising how little force is needed to drive the lock body off the shackle.

Paul

mntbugy
Hand Fed Coal Stove: D S 1500, Warm Moring 400
Baseburners & Antiques: Art Garland 145,GW114 ,Clarion 115, Vestal 20 Globe,New Royal22 Globe, Red Cross Oak 56,Acme Ventiduct 38,Radiant Airblast 626,Home Airblast 62,Moores #7,Moores 3way
Coal Size/Type: stove and nut and some bit
Other Heating: Propain

Post by mntbugy » Tue. Apr. 12, 2022 12:11 pm

Robbers only carry stuff out locked doors. They never carry anything in an unlocked door... :what: :clap:

Richard S.
Mayor

Post by Richard S. » Tue. Apr. 12, 2022 12:21 pm

It's only as strong as the weakest link. In a lot of those videos they start out with "I could pick this in few seconds but I'll show you another way to open it....."

Granted it's relying on security bit which you can buy at any hardware store but the point is you don't need one. He does evaluate them for what they are criticizing or endorsing them for their intended purpose.

Return to “Technology”