Fiber internet install

hotblast1357
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1984 Eshland S260 coal gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite pea
Other Heating: air source heat pump, oil furnace

Post by hotblast1357 » Thu. Oct. 29, 2020 6:25 pm

Well I am finally getting a internet service at the house, and at that it will be fiber! There has never been any services out here, just satellites options, so I will be canceling my dish tv, which is $95/month, and I am going with a 400 mbps download/20 mbps upload plan through spectrum for $75/month, I have Netflix and Hulu and Amazon prime already so I think we’ll survive without live tv.

At $75/month that includes spectrums modem/router, which is $5/month, should I go with this or purchase modem and router separately?

My plans here are,

security camera system that I want to view via my iPhone while away from my house, I want POE cameras, any suggestions? Need at least 5 outside cameras.

I am going to run cat6 to my smart tv.

Looks like everything else will be WiFi, two iPhones, two laptops, couple other small tablets. Only two adults here. House is small, 30x38, upstairs and downstairs though, would I be better with a router on each floor?

Obviously I want to do this cheap as possible lol I am purchasing 600’ of cat6 through my local electrical supply store, at .14cents per foot, I need about 400’ to go out to a camera by my gate, and then the other 200’ will take care of any cameras I want to install at the house, and then smart TV hook up.

Oh and I would like a camera in my boiler room, which is 80’ from the house, that will have to be WiFi.

Any and all thoughts/opinions/ and options are welcome!

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Fri. Oct. 30, 2020 9:18 am

If they have a less expensive package, I would start with that. I have their 100/10 plan, and it is more than adequate for us - and that is with us working at home, occasionally streaming on multiple TVs, etc.

See if they charge for a modem only - I don't think they do. Get your own router. I have a Google Mesh system (has multiple WIFI access points) and have been very pleased with it.

Qtown1835
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker '81 KA4 (online 1/16/17)
Coal Size/Type: WAS Lehigh Rice (TBD)
Other Heating: EFM SPK600

Post by Qtown1835 » Fri. Oct. 30, 2020 10:11 am

For cheap IP cameras the typical default seems to be HIK Vision. I did a small 2 TB PoE 8CH NVR and 6 IR MP bullet cameras for under $1000. Cams are like $115/ea, NVR was like $300 maybe. HIK connect app allows live viewing, playback, and configuration remotely. VMS has builtingin analytics like motion recording, facial recognition, trigger inputs and outputs, line detection, defocus detection, and a bunch of other stuff you will probably never use. HIK would be my recommendation unless you are looking for a Walmart or Costco solution.

**You will need RJ45s and crimper.

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Fri. Oct. 30, 2020 10:18 am

Use POE cameras, power over ethernet.

Keepaeyeonit
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood #8
Coal Size/Type: Nut & stove
Other Heating: 49 year old oil furnace, and finally a new heat pump

Post by Keepaeyeonit » Fri. Oct. 30, 2020 3:31 pm

Like Rob said, We have 100/10 from spectrum but regularly run 115/12 plus and that's plenty for the 3 of us ( one teen that is always testing out the bandwidth :lol: ) I would go with POE IP also but be aware that the max run with POE is 100M or 328'( maybe you can go more but that's what everyone says)
I have been toying around with adding IP cameras to the house but haven't done it yet and Hikvizion was a good contender for what I was looking for, May not be a issue with you but if you buy them on the black market( I.E Amazon,ebay, or an non-authorized dealer) you can't get any service from Hikvision. I was looking to buy from B&H Photo as their prices were very good and they are a authorized dealer.

hotblast1357

Post by hotblast1357 » Fri. Oct. 30, 2020 6:20 pm

Thanks everyone.

Watched a lot of YouTube videos last night, found this system to be pretty good.

Reolink 4K PoE Security Camera System, 4pcs Wired 8MP Outdoor PoE IP Cameras, H.265 8MP 8-Channel NVR with 2TB HDD Video Surveillance System for 24/7 Recording, RLK8-800B4 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07K734ZTW/ref=cm_sw_r_ ... UTF8&psc=1

I will deff talk with them about a lesser plan, I know 400/20 is excessive.

Rob do you have a spectrum modem for free?

Rob R.
Site Moderator

Post by Rob R. » Fri. Oct. 30, 2020 10:12 pm

Well, it is either free or included in the base price - there is no separate charge on the bill for it. Pretty sure I have also seen ads for their service that state "free modem".

rberq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1300 with hopper
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Anthracite Nut
Other Heating: Oil hot water radiators (fuel oil); propane

Post by rberq » Fri. Oct. 30, 2020 10:27 pm

For you guys in the middle of the install, or already using them -- I am considering Spectrum. I can go from 3 Mbps (DSL) to 100 Mbps for the same money. Do they install a single drop in the cellar, and you do the wiring from there on? Or do they run wiring all the way to each access point (TV, modem)? Due to COVID, I would let them into the cellar, but wouldn't want them running through the house. :?

Rob R.
Site Moderator

Post by Rob R. » Fri. Oct. 30, 2020 10:33 pm

I think they would be happy to stop at your basement if you have the wire run that far. When I signed up for internet in my guest cottage they sent me a "self install" kit.

rberq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1300 with hopper
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Anthracite Nut
Other Heating: Oil hot water radiators (fuel oil); propane

Post by rberq » Fri. Oct. 30, 2020 11:21 pm

Rob R. wrote:
Fri. Oct. 30, 2020 10:33 pm
I think they would be happy to stop at your basement if you have the wire run that far. When I signed up for internet in my guest cottage they sent me a "self install" kit.
Thanks. I'll look into that.
What is a ballpark estimate for installation charges? Tens of $$$, or hundreds of $$$? No great distances involved, just pole to house.

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Sat. Oct. 31, 2020 5:16 am

hotblast1357 wrote:
Thu. Oct. 29, 2020 6:25 pm
and I am going with a 400 mbps download/20 mbps upload plan through spectrum for $75/month,
As already mentioned you may want to consider lower end plan. Video is your biggest demand, just for some perspective BluRay HD might be 25mbps.... The "HD" from video services like Netflix etc. is only in the 6mbps range. 100/10 is more than adequate for most households.

hotblast1357

Post by hotblast1357 » Sat. Oct. 31, 2020 5:58 am

rberq wrote:
Fri. Oct. 30, 2020 11:21 pm
Thanks. I'll look into that.
What is a ballpark estimate for installation charges? Tens of $$$, or hundreds of $$$? No great distances involved, just pole to house.
There charging me $59 for the install, and that is running 500’ of fiber from the pole into the my downstairs, I do already have a blank conduit in the ground so it’s pretty easy for them, but I confirmed with them they would supply the fiber and install.

hotblast1357

Post by hotblast1357 » Sat. Oct. 31, 2020 6:09 am

Rob R. wrote:
Fri. Oct. 30, 2020 9:18 am
If they have a less expensive package, I would start with that. I have their 100/10 plan, and it is more than adequate for us - and that is with us working at home, occasionally streaming on multiple TVs, etc.

See if they charge for a modem only - I don't think they do. Get your own router. I have a Google Mesh system (has multiple WIFI access points) and have been very pleased with it.
Rob as far as the google mesh, it looks like the single packages covers 1500 sqft, my house is only 1140, so no need in the multiple package? Will I know one for downstairs though?

My plan was to mount a router downstairs, thinking it would coverage both floors? I don’t have much experience with routers, my last house had spectrum, but was almost 4 years ago..

Rob R.
Site Moderator

Post by Rob R. » Sat. Oct. 31, 2020 6:47 am

I think a single router will do the job for your home, but you might have to play with the location to get good coverage in the house, and out in your boiler building.

5 ghz provides better speeds, but at a reduced range (compared to 2.4ghz).

Is there any way you can pull an ethernet cable out to the boiler building? If you can, you can out a WiFi access point out there.

hotblast1357

Post by hotblast1357 » Sat. Oct. 31, 2020 7:16 am

Rob R. wrote:
Sat. Oct. 31, 2020 6:47 am
I think a single router will do the job for your home, but you might have to play with the location to get good coverage in the house, and out in your boiler building.

5 ghz provides better speeds, but at a reduced range (compared to 2.4ghz).

Is there any way you can pull an ethernet cable out to the boiler building? If you can, you can out a WiFi access point out there.
Well I am going to have to eventually when I build my shop off the boiler room, but I’ll have to put in some conduit, when I do the shop I’ll have the equipment here to do it, right now there is nothing.. I do want a camera out there to monitor the boiler though, I just don’t know if I can get WiFi to reach out there, it’s 80’ from the back corner (kids bedroom) of the house.

I am going to wire my smart tv, most of the streaming will be on that, but we of course will be streaming on both iPhones, and the kids device, and I upload videos to YouTube via my phone, well probably now laptop, I haven’t used my laptops in 4 years, who knows if they even work lol

Plans are to build a office in the downstairs when we finish it, and I would like to put a data rack in there, center of downstairs, so that all my cat 6 wiring comes from center of downstairs.

Return to “Technology”