GOOGLE

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Tue. Oct. 20, 2020 10:54 am

Justice Dept. files monopoly suit against GOOGLE today.

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Tue. Oct. 20, 2020 12:08 pm

Thats about time. Amazon needs it too. Maybe another or two.

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Tue. Oct. 20, 2020 1:02 pm

You can add Twitter and Facebook to that list.

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Tue. Oct. 20, 2020 1:19 pm

STOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Next will be COALPAIL.COM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Tue. Oct. 20, 2020 2:04 pm

Long overdue for the lot of them.

No worries about Coal Pail, Fred...... I doubt that even wood burners think they are being censored here. Maybe just a few malcontent pellet stove types. :lol:

Paul

johnjoseph
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Other Heating: pellet stove, oil boiler

Post by johnjoseph » Tue. Oct. 20, 2020 4:20 pm

Let's shut down Twitter, Facebook and ALL social media.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Tue. Oct. 20, 2020 8:51 pm

johnjoseph wrote:
Tue. Oct. 20, 2020 4:20 pm
I think CB radio should come back...it was the original social media. 8-)

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Tue. Oct. 20, 2020 9:00 pm

Yep it was Rob, but it also went to hell in a hand basket!! :(

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Tue. Oct. 20, 2020 9:11 pm

freetown fred wrote:
Tue. Oct. 20, 2020 9:00 pm
Yep it was Rob, but it also went to hell in a hand basket!! :(
Well, the general population went to *censored* - and radio followed.

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Wed. Oct. 21, 2020 4:43 am

Sunny Boy wrote:
Tue. Oct. 20, 2020 2:04 pm
Long overdue for the lot of them.

No worries about Coal Pail, Fred...... I doubt that even wood burners think they are being censored here. Maybe just a few malcontent pellet stove types. :lol:

Paul
The censoring is side topic at best. Google controls the most popular search engine, the most popular video service, the most popular email service and own the the largest digital advertising company... among other things like their massive private infrastructure. Fact is it's just too damn big and powerful. It's an issue whether they are censoring things or not. It would be like Ford owning the tire company, gas company, spark plug company, trucking company etc. with no other competing companies anywhere near them.

As far as the censoring goes social media sites like Twitter or even this one have specific section of the law granting them immunity from the liability for the actions of their users, if you post something illegal I'm not liable for that. More importantly for me the site owner you can't sue me me for any actions I take when I remove it or if for example I add a link in your post pointing to other information. The moderators would be covered under this as well. The internet as you know it would grind to a halt without this law.

The argument being made is if these social media giants want to censor political speech they should lose that immunity from civil litigation.

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Wed. Oct. 21, 2020 12:01 pm

Will Google be treated like Bell telephone ?

Paul

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW), ComfortMax 75

Post by lsayre » Wed. Oct. 21, 2020 1:38 pm

johnjoseph wrote:
Tue. Oct. 20, 2020 4:20 pm
That's not how Anti-Trust law works. It doesn't put corporations out of business. Rather, it can force a corporation to split itself into several 'nominally' fully independent corporations which would all likely be required to operate with less efficiency and at higher prices thereby. Or it can directly force a company to raise its prices to government established high minimums such that others in the same business who were formerly being crushed out of existence by its ability to provide goods at low prices can economically compete and survive. The former was done to Standard Oil, and the latter was done to Alcoa post WW2.

Companies like Amazon, PayPal, and EBay, which get a "percentage cut" of each transaction, if pursued by Anti-Trust, would most likely be forced to raise their 'cut' percentage such that upstarts could compete.

So the answer to monopoly breaking is always higher prices for all. It's the government way.....

johnjoseph
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Other Heating: pellet stove, oil boiler

Post by johnjoseph » Wed. Oct. 21, 2020 3:05 pm

lsayre wrote:
Wed. Oct. 21, 2020 1:38 pm
That's not how Anti-Trust law works. It doesn't put corporations out of business. Rather, it can force a corporation to split itself into several 'nominally' fully independent corporations which would all likely be required to operate with less efficiency and at higher prices thereby. Or it can directly force a company to raise its prices to government established high minimums such that others in the same business who were formerly being crushed out of existence by its ability to provide goods at low prices can economically compete and survive. The former was done to Standard Oil, and the latter was done to Alcoa post WW2.

Companies like Amazon, PayPal, and EBay, which get a "percentage cut" of each transaction, if pursued by Anti-Trust, would most likely be forced to raise their 'cut' percentage such that upstarts could compete.

So the answer to monopoly breaking is always higher prices for all. It's the government way.....
I was being facetious...I know how antitrust laws work. I also realize it will cost the tax payers/consumers. However, we have to much government meddling as it is across the board; if businesses can't compete that's their problem. Same idea with giving out corporate welfare to save large conglomerates in the business industry....to much meddling.

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Wed. Oct. 21, 2020 3:10 pm

lsayre wrote:
Wed. Oct. 21, 2020 1:38 pm

When "Ma Bell" was broken up into all the seven "baby Bells" it created the competition that lowered prices of long distance and phone equipment. That competition benefited consumers. I was one of them and I saved a lot monthly on long distance to my spread-out family and by installing my own phones and wiring.

Paul

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW), ComfortMax 75

Post by lsayre » Wed. Oct. 21, 2020 3:13 pm

Sunny Boy wrote:
Wed. Oct. 21, 2020 3:10 pm
When "Ma Bell" was broken up into all the seven "baby Bells" it created the competition that lowered prices of long distance and phone equipment. That competition benefited consumers. I was one of them and I saved a lot monthly on long distance to my spread-out family and by installing my own phones and wiring.

Paul
I'm referring to free market monopoly break-up. Ma-Bell was a government made monopoly.

Return to “Technology”