McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Mon. Dec. 23, 2019 12:08 pm

As for mega solar farm,
You're safer than it may seem, those wheels will turn very slow...your approach is a good one to take. ;)

As for hemp, drying seems like what small scale tobacco growers have done in their sheds for centuries befor selling thier crop at tobacco auction...

BTW: Canada grows and exports some unprocessed hemp to the USA

Qtown1835
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker '81 KA4 (online 1/16/17)
Coal Size/Type: WAS Lehigh Rice (TBD)
Other Heating: EFM SPK600

Post by Qtown1835 » Mon. Dec. 23, 2019 7:52 pm

swyman wrote:
Mon. Dec. 23, 2019 2:51 am
Funny you mention that, I have been researching like crazy and went to an 8 hour seminar a few weeks ago. In reading all the hardships involved I have decided NOT to plant it. There are just to many unknowns and 2 of the biggest concerns for me is drying and selling. 1500-2000 plants per acre and to grow for oil you need to treat it like marijuana and dry the plant. I could probably dry maybe 2 acres in my shop but then I don't have the proper equipment to provide the environment to properly dry the plants. The cost is just more than I am willing to chance. Cost per acre to plant is around $10-12k then added cost for the drying equipment. If all that goes as planned we run into the fact that there is just not enough processors at the moment and processing equipment will bury you over $100k if you wanted to go that route then you would have to have the finances to purchase the product from farmers. Plus the bodies you would need to cut, hang, buck, and package. Just way to much risk for me to take and to many ways to fail. My buddy is going to lease my ground for a year and do it but I want no part. I wish him well but I predict it will be a disaster. Also seems that there will be a lot of farmers in the state jumping on the hemp train next year so the market will be flooded and processors will be slim....for now. I'm sure that will change as the industry takes off but need time for more equipment to be developed and seed companies to be able to produce a guaranteed product. They have feminized seeds but still are not guaranteed plus they need to stay under the current THC level of .03%. I have read that Kentucky was successful in raising the THC level to 1% and there are groups in Michigan lobbing to get that changed here which would help a lot.
I helped plant 50acres of business venture hemp farm for cbd. Super labor intensive since everything is essentially planted by hand with seedlings. We had a 4 row planter but it still requires 4 on the planter, driver, 2 people to walk behind and check plating depth and missed plants. Then you have irrigation... Miles of driptape, pumps, fertilizer injectors, etc. Our plants came from NC in a conditioned box trailer first order was 100k seedlings. Subsequent deliveries of 300k seedlings. $1/ea. Plants grew well then its time to harvest. Tried mechanized harvesting but it was met with challenges so it was loppers, haywagon and lots of help. After that you need a llace to dry like u mentioned, ended up installing 5 dry sheds fed with 1000gal tanks of propane to dry. Then on to stripping the buds and bailing into seed sacks, more time. After that you need to clean up 300miles of drip tape and 4miles of layflat. Oh and you need to find someone to buy all of that hemp of which the market is currently saturated... Good times

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Mon. Dec. 23, 2019 8:05 pm

Wow Qtown, thanks for that description. From my own cutting of ditchweed on farms, it is some tough stuff to cut. I cant imagine hand cutting a whole field of it.

swyman
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman-Anderson 260M Leisure Line AA-220 Boiler (FOR SALE)
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Pea

Post by swyman » Tue. Dec. 24, 2019 12:45 am

McGiever wrote:
Mon. Dec. 23, 2019 12:08 pm

As for hemp, drying seems like what small scale tobacco growers have done in their sheds for centuries befor selling thier crop at tobacco auction...

This was discussed at the seminar, the issue lies in our climate.....our climate during harvest is cold at night and usually hot during the day with humidity and with just hanging in a barn or shed is the perfect storm for mold.....if it doesn't start while still in the field. And you mention Canada sending over out of the field wet plants, they do offer complete services here also that will take the product right from the field but profits will dramatically decrease to the point of not making it worthwhile.

gaw
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Coal Size/Type: Rice from Schuylkill County

Post by gaw » Tue. Dec. 24, 2019 6:36 am

Qtown1835 wrote:
Mon. Dec. 23, 2019 7:52 pm
I helped plant 50acres of business venture hemp farm for cbd. Super labor intensive since everything is essentially planted by hand with seedlings. We had a 4 row planter but it still requires 4 on the planter, driver, 2 people to walk behind and check plating depth and missed plants. Then you have irrigation... Miles of driptape, pumps, fertilizer injectors, etc. Our plants came from NC in a conditioned box trailer first order was 100k seedlings. Subsequent deliveries of 300k seedlings. $1/ea. Plants grew well then its time to harvest. Tried mechanized harvesting but it was met with challenges so it was loppers, haywagon and lots of help. After that you need a llace to dry like u mentioned, ended up installing 5 dry sheds fed with 1000gal tanks of propane to dry. Then on to stripping the buds and bailing into seed sacks, more time. After that you need to clean up 300miles of drip tape and 4miles of layflat. Oh and you need to find someone to buy all of that hemp of which the market is currently saturated... Good times
Are you saying hemp looks greener from the other side of the fence?

Qtown1835
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker '81 KA4 (online 1/16/17)
Coal Size/Type: WAS Lehigh Rice (TBD)
Other Heating: EFM SPK600

Post by Qtown1835 » Tue. Dec. 24, 2019 9:11 am

gaw wrote:
Tue. Dec. 24, 2019 6:36 am
Are you saying hemp looks greener from the other side of the fence?
Thats a good way to put it. I had no vested interest in the crop. The "returns" can be great if the market is there but my understanding is that there is excess harvested hemp waiting to be processed. The market is currently saturated and buyers are only taking the best of the best crops. Others are left to sit on the sidelines hoping someone buys the product. I think the real money could be in the bulk processing of the hemp for wholesale CBD production. Who know really, could all be a fleeting fad, especially if PA and other states pass recreational MJ laws. The entire industry is really like the wild west at the moment.

Return to “Technology”