Smart meters

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Thu. Aug. 08, 2019 11:04 am

The RF power from a smart meter is less than the cell phone many of us hold to our head, and the length of exposure is considerably less as well. I have discussed this with folks much more knowledgeable than myself about RF exposure, and I would have no issue with a Smart Meter on my property.

Hydro Quebec implemented Smart Meters well ahead of the US, and went through all the same drama. I spoke to one gentleman that worked on the project, and his comment was that the people making the most noise about the meters were wearing tin foil hats long before anyone knew what a smart meter was. Take that for what it is worth, but in general I think the issue is overblown. Like anything, there are going to be rare cases where someone responds much differently than the general population (like an adverse reaction to medication).

snuffy, I am not dismissing the issues you have described - but I think we would agree that they are not typical.
coalnewbie wrote:
Thu. Aug. 08, 2019 10:50 am
Thought I would bury this here, one of lifes little problems. Shelleys mom died last night so I doubt I will post for a while.
Sorry to hear that. We will pick it up when you return. Take care.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Thu. Aug. 08, 2019 11:16 am

coalnewbie wrote:
Thu. Aug. 08, 2019 10:50 am
Thought I would bury this here, one of lifes little problems. Shelleys mom died last night so I doubt I will post for a while.
Sorry to hear that, Simon. My condolences to you all the family.

Paul
Last edited by Sunny Boy on Thu. Aug. 08, 2019 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Thu. Aug. 08, 2019 11:21 am

We've had the smart meters for both the electric and water meters here in my Village for quite a few years. There was a lot of publicity about the change over, but I have not heard one complaint, or anything negative in the local newspaper.

Paul

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Thu. Aug. 08, 2019 12:16 pm

Im sorry CN for your loss.

samhill
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: keystoker 160
Hand Fed Coal Stove: hitzer 75 in garage

Post by samhill » Thu. Aug. 08, 2019 2:10 pm

Sorry for your loss CNB!

lzaharis
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KAA-4-1 dual fuel boiler
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: former switzer CWW100-sold
Coal Size/Type: rice
Other Heating: kerosene for dual fuel Keystoker/unused

Post by lzaharis » Thu. Aug. 08, 2019 4:09 pm

I to am sorry for your loss cnb,

Bringing up my end of this I am still wondering if it my smart meter was the reason I had three heart blocks the night I had to go to the hospital. I have 2 titanium stents and that was one of the main concerns I had with the smart meter they stuffed in the new service they put on the side of the house at first.

I called the local utility and I mentioned to several people that I was concerned about this due to the pacemaker I am saddled with now and the woman that called me back said that she had never heard of any instance of a problem caused by a smart meter affecting a pacemaker or ones heart.
The smart meter in my disconnect box is less than 20 feet from where I am sitting and I will probably invest in a faraday cage for it as I am not comfortable with it. I was 10 feet away from it when I had my first heart block.
I was told the meter I have in the new disconnect is not a true smart meter but a digital readout meter only.

The night they stuffed me with a temporary pacemaker lead with the external pacemaker hanging on an IV pole while I was unconscious and then they placed a permanent pacemaker in me on Monday that later required a revision surgery on Tuesday due to one of the two leads not becoming fully anchored which they found the next afternoon when they tested the pacemaker with the magnet and reader for the first time after the implantation surgery the day before.

After having direct knowledge of a Wisconsin dairy farmers herd being poisoned by stray electrical current entering the water cups in his station barn and others having the same issue over the last 40+ years in watering tanks I have to wonder about stray current.

I have a close friend that went over to the local power plant with his buddies when he was growing up and they took a bunch of fluorescent bulbs with them to fool with and they would walk under the 34,500 AC three phase power lines on the right of way and the 8 foot fluorescent bulbs would light up instantly while they were standing under the power lines as they were holding them up over their heads.

I do know that my pace maker affects my am fm radios reception as I like to listen to it as it helps me fall asleep and if I lean over to change the station the radio reception is affected.

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Thu. Aug. 08, 2019 5:17 pm

lzaharis wrote:
Thu. Aug. 08, 2019 4:09 pm
I to am sorry for your loss cnb,

Bringing up my end of this I am still wondering if it my smart meter was the reason I had three heart blocks the night I had to go to the hospital. I have 2 titanium stents and that was one of the main concerns I had with the smart meter they stuffed in the new service they put on the side of the house at first.

I called the local utility and I mentioned to several people that I was concerned about this due to the pacemaker I am saddled with now and the woman that called me back said that she had never heard of any instance of a problem caused by a smart meter affecting a pacemaker or ones heart.
The smart meter in my disconnect box is less than 20 feet from where I am sitting and I will probably invest in a faraday cage for it as I am not comfortable with it. I was 10 feet away from it when I had my first heart block.
I was told the meter I have in the new disconnect is not a true smart meter but a digital readout meter only.

The night they stuffed me with a temporary pacemaker lead with the external pacemaker hanging on an IV pole while I was unconscious and then they placed a permanent pacemaker in me on Monday that later required a revision surgery on Tuesday due to one of the two leads not becoming fully anchored which they found the next afternoon when they tested the pacemaker with the magnet and reader for the first time after the implantation surgery the day before.

After having direct knowledge of a Wisconsin dairy farmers herd being poisoned by stray electrical current entering the water cups in his station barn and others having the same issue over the last 40+ years in watering tanks I have to wonder about stray current.

I have a close friend that went over to the local power plant with his buddies when he was growing up and they took a bunch of fluorescent bulbs with them to fool with and they would walk under the 34,500 AC three phase power lines on the right of way and the 8 foot fluorescent bulbs would light up instantly while they were standing under the power lines as they were holding them up over their heads.

I do know that my pace maker affects my am fm radios reception as I like to listen to it as it helps me fall asleep and if I lean over to change the station the radio reception is affected.
Interesting message. There are a lot of things that mess with pacemakers. Nothing would surprise me there.

Stray voltage and animals never works well. Why would it work with humans then? i need to try that fluorescent bulb trick on the powerline going thru my place.

The radio thing, try a battery radio. If that doesnt work try an older electric radio that has a wire ground on it. Dont ground in your outlets ground, use a ground rod. maybe others with pacemakers would know for sure.

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Thu. Aug. 08, 2019 6:40 pm

Sorry for your loss...
Post again when you can...

rberq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1300 with hopper
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Anthracite Nut
Other Heating: Oil hot water radiators (fuel oil); propane

Post by rberq » Thu. Aug. 08, 2019 7:24 pm

Rob R. wrote:
Thu. Aug. 08, 2019 11:04 am
The RF power from a smart meter is less than the cell phone many of us hold to our head, and the length of exposure is considerably less as well.
Seems like everywhere smart meters are installed, the same scare stories go around. Our smart meter is ten feet from our bed, and other than the ghosts that flit around it all night it hasn’t troubled us.

snuffy
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman SF250 & Mark III backup
Other Heating: Oil Hot Water

Post by snuffy » Thu. Aug. 08, 2019 7:52 pm

Coalnewbie
Condolences to your wife and you.

I just got my Mom discharged from outpatient rehab for a crushed tailbone and while being discharged my neighbor called telling me my Mom's neighbor fell Sunday afternoon (apparently while I was cutting her lawn) and she layed there till Tuesday afternoon till she could crawl to a phone and reach the neighbor. Man, one just never knows how and where tragedy strikes.

Regarding the smart meters and cell towers RF emissions is its penetrating power. While I'm not a biological researcher, I can envision the substance magnetite (in all of cells) being effected during cell division. What I don't see in the science is any discussion on genetic material being disarrayed when struck with RF energy. Given magnetite would be in the genetic material and it can be magnetically oriented, what happens to the genetic structuring (cancer?) I read one of the leading books on the subject matter "Electromagnetic Fields in Biology and Medicine" written by Marko Markov and on page 418 demonstrates a similar electromagnetic disturbance (dirty electricity) from a compact fluorescent bulb transient in the wire and through the air as was shown in the first 16 minute video clip. I also have a Trifield Natural EMF Meter and in my Livingroom I have on occasion had readings above 11 millivolts cubic meter that originates from a direct line of sight Verizion cell tower over 3000 feet away.

I have a love hate relationship with these towers, convenience is nice but do I really wish we had more control over what comes over the property line.

anthony7812
Stoker Coal Boiler: VanWert VA 400
Coal Size/Type: Buck/Anthracite

Post by anthony7812 » Fri. Aug. 09, 2019 12:42 pm

its hard to base what, when, how for this. Id be more concerned with the Variable drive compressor in most modern refrigerators. There should always be concern for anything bouncing RF but im more concerned with the amount of modern technologies (not meaning new just this century) utilizing equipment that generates EMF. Being this wonderful board is coal and heating look at the what we call new water pumps. Variable speed. Refrigerators- variable speed. Well Pumps - Variable speed. blowers on ac units - variable speed, heat pumps - variable speed. All this is being done and generating emf and creating dirty power. Call me crazy but playing with how we propagate magnetic fields based on frequency is more of a concern than RF on a power meter. And I say all with respect. Hell i swear when the whether starts to turn warmer or colder my friggen shoulder throbs like a mother.

lzaharis
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KAA-4-1 dual fuel boiler
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: former switzer CWW100-sold
Coal Size/Type: rice
Other Heating: kerosene for dual fuel Keystoker/unused

Post by lzaharis » Fri. Aug. 09, 2019 8:30 pm

The company in Europe that made the digital meter they put in my meter cut out box referred to it as a SMART METER. So it will be interesting to see if they respond to my e-mail. I asked them about installing a dumb meter.

I guess you can buy dumb meters from amazon and others.

So we shall see how far this goes I guess.

grumpy

Post by grumpy » Fri. Aug. 09, 2019 8:56 pm

Look for FCC on the front panel..

Return to “Technology”