Need input on a combination alarm / security camera system.

Pauliewog
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska 140 Dual Paddle Feed
Baseburners & Antiques: Fame Rosemont #20, Home Stove Works #25, Glenwood #6, Happy Thought Oak, Merry Bride #214, Sunnyside, Worlds Argand #114, New Golden Sun , & About 30 others.
Coal Size/Type: Stove, Chesnut, Pea, Rice / Anthracite

Post by Pauliewog » Sat. May. 11, 2019 12:32 am

I recently purchased a property with a 3,000 sf former automotive repair / alignment garage about 10 miles from our house.

The garage is on approximately 1 acre, in a residential area and at this point will primarily used to store our motorhome, excess unrestored stoves, welders, equipment and tools that I accumulated over the past 50 years in business.

My thoughts are to install approx 8 motion activated cameras, 4 on the outside and 4 on the inside with a 1 Tb hard drive.

There is an old existing Radio Shack alarm system with a strobe light and siren .

The building was added on a few times throughout the years and has 3 garage doors, 2 man doors, 1 motion detector, and a dozen windows.

The original owner passed away and the keypad code unfortunately went to the grave with him.

These are some of my thoughts and concerns:

1. Since I live 20 minutes away I would prefer not to have the siren screaming for a half hour or more in the event of a problem or malfunction.

Possible Solution: Install a timeout relay on the siren?

2 Hate the thoughts of paying for a dedicated phone line and then also pay a company like ADT to monitor it.

3. Installing Internet to monitor cameras from my cell phone?
Is there a reasonable plan out there for that type of service?

4 Add another cell phone sim card compatable monitoring system.? I hate Verizon already and frown on giving them another dime. :oops:

5. Talk to neighbors and pay them to tag on their wifi ? I hate comcast too. :lol:

I'm there almost every day so as far as the cameras I would have plenty of hard drive space even if they were on continuous. But at the same time it would be nice to be able to check on the property from home or on my phone if I want.

I would like to be able to get an alert on my phone if a motion detector went off inside the building or if a window or door was broken into. Then again if that were to happen it would be nice to be able to access the cameras.

Bottom line is what do you guys think the most economical route is to take? :idea:

Paulie

LeoinRI
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Fonderies de Lion
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: J.S. Peckham Chicago #10, Weso, Our Glenwood 111, Sougland Excelsior 183

Post by LeoinRI » Sat. May. 11, 2019 6:02 am

Good morning
What I have for the off grid cabin in Maine is a cellular game camera. 3 years ago our best option was
https://spartancamera.com/spartan-gocam/

As a Verizon customer I added it to our plan for $5/month as a "connected device". I also use Spartan's web connection for an additional $3/month. The phone sends text messages and an email with a "thumb" image. Full quality image is on the SD card in the camera. Law enforcement is 45 minutes away, the nearest neighbor 2 miles. In our case the primary goal was to detect a break-in preventing an open door/window allowing entry of critters, rain, and snow for months.
Leo

tsb
Stoker Coal Boiler: Binford 2000
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL Pioneer top vent
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Saey Hanover II
Baseburners & Antiques: Grander Golden Oak , Glenwood # 6
Coal Size/Type: All of them

Post by tsb » Sat. May. 11, 2019 7:57 am

Make friends with the neighbors and give them your phone number.

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Sat. May. 11, 2019 7:10 pm

you can get pretty good security camera system for not a lot of money, depending on features and quality, etc... most now have remote internet access (if you have internet at the garage). You might be able to remove power from security system, remove batteries if it has them , it might reset to factory. changing factory settings, found on internet.
=========
When you power on the preset factory code will be in effect if your code was lost. This code is [1234]

To change it:

1. Press[*]
2. enter the current code, eg. [1234]
3. enter your new code 4 digits any you choose
4. Press[*] a final time to complete the code entry.

Note: if you take longer than 10 seconds to complete step 2, 3 or 4, the pad will automatically reset to the old code.
You would have to begin again with step 1.

If you make an error while programming, press [#] to clear and begin again.

Pauliewog
Baseburners & Antiques: Fame Rosemont #20, Home Stove Works #25, Glenwood #6, Happy Thought Oak, Merry Bride #214, Sunnyside, Worlds Argand #114, New Golden Sun , & About 30 others.

Post by Pauliewog » Sat. May. 11, 2019 8:18 pm

LeoinRI wrote:
Sat. May. 11, 2019 6:02 am
Good morning
What I have for the off grid cabin in Maine is a cellular game camera. 3 years ago our best option was
https://spartancamera.com/spartan-gocam/

As a Verizon customer I added it to our plan for $5/month as a "connected device". I also use Spartan's web connection for an additional $3/month. The phone sends text messages and an email with a "thumb" image. Full quality image is on the SD card in the camera. Law enforcement is 45 minutes away, the nearest neighbor 2 miles. In our case the primary goal was to detect a break-in preventing an open door/window allowing entry of critters, rain, and snow for months.
Leo
Thanks Leo. That sounds like a good option for one section of the property. The video system that I'm looking at only has 60' of cable per camera and states that you cannot connect two cables together to extend them. That particular camera would be located about 125' from the building and I can mount it in a tree on the edge of the property.

As much as I hate to, I will get over to Verizon and see what type of plans they currently offer.

Paulie

Pauliewog

Post by Pauliewog » Sat. May. 11, 2019 8:25 pm

tsb wrote:
Sat. May. 11, 2019 7:57 am
Make friends with the neighbors and give them your phone number.
That is probably my least expensive option, but I really have to make friends with a half dozen of them since it seems like the ones I've met are rarely home. :D

Paulie

Pauliewog

Post by Pauliewog » Sat. May. 11, 2019 8:39 pm

WNY wrote:
Sat. May. 11, 2019 7:10 pm
you can get pretty good security camera system for not a lot of money, depending on features and quality, etc... most now have remote internet access (if you have internet at the garage). You might be able to remove power from security system, remove batteries if it has them , it might reset to factory. changing factory settings, found on internet.
=========
When you power on the preset factory code will be in effect if your code was lost. This code is [1234]

To change it:

1. Press[*]

Note: if you take longer than 10 seconds to complete step 2, 3 or 4, the pad will automatically reset to the old code.

Thanks Dave !

I don't have Internet at the garage and wouldn't have any need for it other than to monitor the security cameras.

I hoping to find a reasonable Internet provider that offers a plan geared for minimal use.

Thanks for the tip on resetting the keypad code. I will definitely give that a try and let you know how I made out.

I do know when I removed the keypad cover ........... That the tamper switch, strobe, and siren work fine. :o :lol:

Paulie

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Sun. May. 12, 2019 12:47 am

do you have Comcast at your home...
If so you could use the xfinity hot spot from one of the neighbors to your shop...
Might need to invest in a good antenna but better than a monthly payment...
A good commercial NVR will set you back $500...
But you get 16 POE channels built in...
The cameras about $150 each...
But will do all you ask plus two way audio...
POE is good to 300 feet...

mntbugy
Hand Fed Coal Stove: D S 1500, Warm Moring 400
Baseburners & Antiques: Art Garland 145,GW114 ,Clarion 115, Vestal 20 Globe,New Royal22 Globe, Red Cross Oak 56,Acme Ventiduct 38,Radiant Airblast 626,Home Airblast 62,Moores #7,Moores 3way
Coal Size/Type: stove and nut and some bit
Other Heating: Propain

Post by mntbugy » Sun. May. 12, 2019 8:11 am

You can do the low cost method.

Get yourself a billy goat for inside the building and some guinea fowl for the out side.

Fertilizer for your green house and food on the table.

KingCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 1 comforter stove works all iron coal box stove, seventies.
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner, GW #6, GW 113 formerly Sir Williams, maybe others at Pauliewog’s I’ve forgotten about
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anth.
Other Heating: none

Post by KingCoal » Thu. Jun. 06, 2019 2:54 pm

have to fence in the "chickens" to keep them around, long enough for an air rifle sniper to take them out one by one.

the goat won't fare any better.

I had friends experience a string of break ins at several houses they were refurbing to flip. bums stripped out all the wiring , copper, sheet metal. took the furnaces, water heaters, etc, etc.

they asked about putting dogs in the houses and were disappointed by not following my advise against it. because the thieves were not just so brazen to break in again and take the same stuff all over again but heartless enough to kill the dogs at 2 of the houses in the process.

sadly the visible restraints, like window and door bars and locks are only good enough to keep honest people from going beyond curiosity.

our experience at the lumber yard is that we needed multiple motion cams and spots outside and inside with the cams rolling for 5 seconds before the spots come on. pretty amazing how every time there's an unauthorized visit to the property or an entry, when the cams start at the first motion but the lights are delayed when the lights do come on the jerks ALL look right at the light ( which is right next to the cam )

we also have budget enough for instant feed to an alarm company and the city police. we only use sirens on the inside of the buildings not outside with in the fencing.

Paulie, I know you'll get this figured, it's just 'digital' rigging and you are well on your way.

steve

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Thu. Jun. 06, 2019 3:41 pm

You can have the cameras roll 24/7 and only alert on motion...
sending a small snippet of video...
Some also let you determine what area to alarm on...
Two way audio is fun also...

cArNaGe

Post by cArNaGe » Fri. Jun. 07, 2019 1:33 pm

I would build my own system, but there are some good systems out there. I would go with POE ip cameras.
https://ipcamtalk.com has lots of info.

The cliff notes will start you in the right direction. https://ipcamtalk.com/wiki/ip-cam-talk-cliff-notes/

Pauliewog

Post by Pauliewog » Sun. Jun. 09, 2019 10:24 pm

WNY wrote:
Sat. May. 11, 2019 7:10 pm
=========

To change it:

1. Press[*]

Thanks Dave ! That did the trick to reset the code for the existing alarm system.

I disconnected the siren for now and kept the outside strobe light in the alarm circuit.

Until I decide on a security camera system and an Internet provider I prefer not to have the siren blasting for 20 minutes or more until I get there if the alarm is triggered.

In the meantime I may look for an adjustable countdown timer to limit the siren to a minute or so until I am able to control it remotely.

Paulie

Pauliewog

Post by Pauliewog » Sun. Jun. 09, 2019 10:38 pm

CapeCoaler wrote:
Sun. May. 12, 2019 12:47 am
do you have Comcast at your home...
If so you could use the xfinity hot spot from one of the neighbors to your shop...
Might need to invest in a good antenna but better than a monthly payment...
A good commercial NVR will set you back $500...
But you get 16 POE channels built in...
The cameras about $150 each...
But will do all you ask plus two way audio...
POE is good to 300 feet...
So far Comcast looks to be my best option. I got rid of Cable and Internet at the house five years ago and went with a good antenna in the attic.

We have Verizon for our cell phone carrier and pretty much use that for our Internet needs. They are getting ridiculous so looks like it's time to switch back to Comcast.

Paulie

Pauliewog

Post by Pauliewog » Sun. Jun. 09, 2019 10:46 pm

CapeCoaler wrote:
Thu. Jun. 06, 2019 3:41 pm
You can have the cameras roll 24/7 and only alert on motion...
sending a small snippet of video...
Some also let you determine what area to alarm on...
Two way audio is fun also...
That's exactly what I'm looking at. Thinking maybe a 1 or 2 Terabyte hard drive, about 8 to 10 cameras, with cell phone notification only on cameras near the two entry doors and inside the building.

Paulie

Return to “Technology”