Who uses Linux?

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Tue. Jan. 01, 2019 4:22 pm

Looking for a show of hands for those that run Linux on something at home or work.

What Distro do you run?
What type of machine are you running Linux on?
What do you use it for?

I started playing with Linux about 15 years ago, mainly just for something to fool around with. I never used it for everyday type activities until about 10 years ago, when it started to be a lot more useful out of the box.

I have been running a media server with Ubuntu Server Edition for 2 years, and it continues to run excellent. I run Manjaro Linux on my Dell desktop and use that for web browsing, and managing music & videos for the media server.

One of my kids also uses an old HP laptop with Manjaro Linux on it.

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW), ComfortMax 75

Post by lsayre » Tue. Jan. 01, 2019 4:35 pm

A few months ago I transitioned from Mint to MX-17. MX is a rolling Linux release, and it has upgraded itself to version 18.12. I started using Linux when OS/2 was on its way out. Except for work, I've never used Windows.

Rob R.
Site Moderator

Post by Rob R. » Tue. Jan. 01, 2019 4:41 pm

Manjaro is a rolling release also, and probably one of the most current.

lsayre

Post by lsayre » Tue. Jan. 01, 2019 4:46 pm

On Distrowatch, MX-Linux has recently exceeded the popularity of Mint. But Manjaro is #1.

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Tue. Jan. 01, 2019 4:51 pm

Mint 18.3 Cinnamon on a pretty old laptop.

It had 7 on it but I couldnt keep it running good so went to Linux. It does what I need it to do. i dont care for its picture editing or movie making ability but for general internet use its as good as Windows.

I do realize if I wanted to spend the time to add different programs I could get more out of it but I dont enjoy that kind of stuff. This old laptop runs pretty hot, has for a few years but it keeps chugging along. Yes I clean it often.

My next one might be a Chromebook.

D-frost
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman MK ll
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Yukon Eagle I (multi-fuel oil, wood/coal)
Baseburners & Antiques: Herald 'fireside oak'
Coal Size/Type: nut/stove-Blaschak/Lehigh

Post by D-frost » Tue. Jan. 01, 2019 5:47 pm

I run Linuxmint 17.3, 64-bit, Opera browser(old version-37). This wipes out 99% of the ads. This on an old Acer laptop. No business use, just internet, and I play solitaire. Works for me.
Cheers

BunkerdCaddis
Stoker Coal Boiler: Bairmatic-Van Wert
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Van Wert VW85H
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Saey Hanover II working when I feel the desire, Waterford 105 out on vacation, Surdiac Gotha hiding somewhere
Coal Size/Type: pea/nut/rice/stove-anthracite, nut/stove bit when I feel the urge
Other Heating: oil fired hydronic

Post by BunkerdCaddis » Tue. Jan. 01, 2019 8:54 pm

I've run some version of Puppy Linux on a 15 or so year old Pentium 4 I bought at a county auction as my main web surfing machine for at least 9 or 10 years. It was starting to get pretty slow with the newer video formats and and other junk on web based email etc. so I pulled it out and replaced it yesterday with my old photography machine (an I3 that came with win 7). It ran fine with Puppy but the browsers kept crashing (firefox and palemoon) so I put Mint 19 in and firefox still keeps crashing.

All in all though I have used or tried Puppy, Mint, Peppermint, PCLinux, Mandriva, Vector Linux, Kubuntu, Lubuntu and Xubuntu. I really liked Vector but it hasn't been updated in years. Puppy runs in ram so even on an old machine it is fast and boots from a cd. Any machine I have around that windows is out of date on gets Linux.

If it wouldn't be for the fact that I use Adobe Lightroom for photography my newest machine wouldn't be Windows, once I learn to use lightzone or darktable I won't buy Windows again.

cArNaGe

Post by cArNaGe » Tue. Jan. 01, 2019 9:24 pm

I run Ubuntu 16.04 LTS on a refurbed dell I bought on ebay. I originally used it for a steam cache server. Now it's used for a network storage, minecraft server for the kids, docker running a plex server and my unifi controller. I was thinking of running zoneminder and throwing a few POE ip cams up. Not sure if I will though.

Homesteader
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark II
Coal Size/Type: Nut, Stove
Other Heating: H.B. Smith oil fired boiler

Post by Homesteader » Wed. Jan. 02, 2019 9:25 am

I have a Dell laptop that came with win 10 and had all kinds of trouble running legacy hardware that needed USB-Serial adapters to communicate to the hardware. Windows would keep blue screening when it did its updates complaining about the VCP ports so I wiped the drive and installed Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon. No problems now whatsoever, very stable and faster machine using less resources than win 10. Also use Firefox with it and have no problems browsing.

BunkerdCaddis
Stoker Coal Boiler: Bairmatic-Van Wert
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Van Wert VW85H
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Saey Hanover II working when I feel the desire, Waterford 105 out on vacation, Surdiac Gotha hiding somewhere
Coal Size/Type: pea/nut/rice/stove-anthracite, nut/stove bit when I feel the urge
Other Heating: oil fired hydronic

Post by BunkerdCaddis » Wed. Jan. 02, 2019 6:47 pm

I see MX is a descendant of Mepis , So some questions mostly for Rob and Larry but also others, what do you like specifically about Manjaro or MX that separates them from the crowd? What desktops do you prefer and why? I don't see a lot of difference in the different desktops in my use so it doesn't mean much to me and I wonder why so many flavors sometimes...

lsayre

Post by lsayre » Wed. Jan. 02, 2019 6:56 pm

BunkerdCaddis wrote:
Wed. Jan. 02, 2019 6:47 pm
I see MX is a descendant of Mepis , So some questions mostly for Rob and Larry but also others, what do you like specifically about Manjaro or MX that separates them from the crowd? What desktops do you prefer and why? I don't see a lot of difference in the different desktops in my use so it doesn't mean much to me and I wonder why so many flavors sometimes...
For me, there were two reasons why I transitioned. I was coming across annoying flaws in the latest Mint, and it has become bloated and slow on my aging laptop. MX is very fast and everything simply works as expected. It even boots up about 5 times faster.

BTW, years ago I was a big fan of Mepis Linux.

Rob R.
Site Moderator

Post by Rob R. » Wed. Jan. 02, 2019 8:27 pm

BunkerdCaddis wrote:
Wed. Jan. 02, 2019 6:47 pm
Manjaro has a really nice version that uses the XFCE desktop environment, which is lightweight and quick. It also has an excellent installer, that does a great job of installing the correct drivers - even for new hardware. My Dell desktop has a Microsoft
multimedia keyboard with some nice features (extra buttons), and does not work in Mint or Ubuntu - but it worked out of the box with Manjaro. Power management also worked out of the box with my HP laptop.

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Tue. Jan. 08, 2019 12:14 pm

Rob R. wrote:
Tue. Jan. 01, 2019 4:22 pm
What Distro do you run?
CentOS
What type of machine are you running Linux on?
Migrating to this today, tomorrow.... Might be a very short outage. Big difference between current plan and new plan is the SSD's.

2 Core CPU Processor
4 GB Guaranteed RAM
100 GB RAID-10 SSD Storage
3 TB Premium Bandwidth
What do you use it for?
Coalpail.com of course.

Gnikhog
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 202
Coal Size/Type: nut (pea early/late season)

Post by Gnikhog » Tue. Jan. 08, 2019 2:51 pm

CentOS 6 on a home server, CentOS 7 on a workstation, and Fedora 29 LXDE on my laptop. I've been running linux for 15 years.

Return to “Technology”