Wi-fi without internet

hotblast1357
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1984 Eshland S260 coal gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite pea
Other Heating: air source heat pump, oil furnace

Post by hotblast1357 » Thu. Nov. 22, 2018 8:31 am

Hey everyone, I’m out in the sticks, no hi speed internet access...

What I want is to have wi-fi to control things via iPhone and maybe watch some remote cameras around the property.

Farthest reach will be 100’.

I can just use a router to enable w-fi connection between devices without any internet connection correct?

What’s a good cheap router for this?

Jjones6840
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Hot blast 1357m
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: Electric/heatpump

Post by Jjones6840 » Thu. Nov. 22, 2018 8:54 am

You should be able to, as a home network, but you will only be able to access it from a device within range of the router. The other issue you will run into which isn’t a big deal, is you will have to switch between WiFi and cellular data if you wish to access internet on your phone. You won’t be able to do both at the same time. I just unplugged Ethernet from my router to check, and I still had my cameras working. The only thing I can’t remember is if you need internet to initially set up the router

titleist1

Post by titleist1 » Thu. Nov. 22, 2018 9:01 am

If i understand correctly that you are going to use the phone when home to access the local network devices, then yes a wireless router can be used to have a local wireless network to devices around the house. The length of the wireless reach may or may not get to the 100' it depends on the location you choose for the router and how many things block the path. I had to use an extender (I have it mounted outside under the eave) to reach the camera on the pole barn about 180' away from the base wireless router.

There are some new fangled networking devices that you plug into an outlet various places around the house to give good coverage in a mesh type set up. I haven't messed with those since the network i put in about 10 years ago has worked fine for my purposes. I bet some others here know more about them and which to recommend.

You should not need internet access to set up the router, you can cable to it using a laptop to configure the LAN. (Maybe a tablet can do this as well don't know about port options on a tablet).

hotblast1357
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1984 Eshland S260 coal gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite pea
Other Heating: air source heat pump, oil furnace

Post by hotblast1357 » Thu. Nov. 22, 2018 9:21 am

Ok yes that’s all I want to do is view thing at the house while in range..

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Thu. Nov. 22, 2018 7:58 pm

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074MGY628/ref= ... 00189&th=1

2.4 and 5 ghz...
And does the AC and N standards
under $40...

Return to “Technology”