High pressure steam

coalnewbie
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL AnthraKing 180K, Pocono110K,KStokr 90K, DVC
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Invader 2
Baseburners & Antiques: Wings Best, Glenwood #8(x2) Herald 116x
Coal Size/Type: Rice,
Other Heating: Heating Oil CH, Toyotomi OM 22

Post by coalnewbie » Thu. Jul. 26, 2018 6:13 am

My eldest has bought a little steam boat (sigh), yes .. runs on high pressure steam. He wants to move back to NY and play with it on the Hudson as he may have landed a job in the city. So what sort of of license does he need to operate it? He has a boat license. I know NYC has high pressure licenses but how about NYS. I think he should get a yearly inspection anyway but that is me being overprotective. Geez, my son is crazy too. He must have gotten it from his mother. Why can't he just buy a Corvette and run off with Stormy like any normal boy. Sigh.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Thu. Jul. 26, 2018 7:39 am

All power boats must be registered with NYS DMV, so they should be able to tell him if NYS requires an additional license for steam, or at least a yearly inspection.

The US Coast Guard has authority over all inland waterways and do a lot of the commercial and private boat inspections, so they may also be involved. I'll be at a car show next week with a friend who is a retired CG officer that was in charge of a crew that did those boat safety inspections in NYS - I'll ask him.

Paul

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Tue. Aug. 07, 2018 6:48 pm

Met up with my retired Coast Guard Officer friend that did boat inspections. Said he's never run into any regs about steam power on small boats.

When your son registers it with NYS DMV they might know if there's any restrictions,....but being NYS DMV they may only know how to confuse the issue. :roll:

The antique boat crowd has quite a few restored steam powered launches in their club. They may be able to help with answers.

Paul

Return to “Technology”