BigBarney

Post by BigBarney » Mon. Jun. 04, 2018 9:33 am

This is the way to sort packages.....

Amazon is building one of these in Euclid OH to

serve their customers.

BigBarney

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Mon. Jun. 04, 2018 9:52 am

Thanks for posting those BB.

And all it takes is one nut or bolt dropped on the floor and over goes a stack. Then the resulting cascade of gridlock shuts the whole place down.

Cleanup needed on aisle 4, 5, 6, 7, ....... :lol:

Paul

rberq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1300 with hopper
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Anthracite Nut
Other Heating: Oil hot water radiators (fuel oil); propane

Post by rberq » Mon. Jun. 04, 2018 9:53 am

Great videos. Not how I would have envisioned a sorting facility. I wish there was a little more verbal explanation of how it works; for example, is each robot more or less self-controlled once it is set in motion, or are all of them simultaneously monitored and moved by a central computer, or some combination of the two?

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW), ComfortMax 75

Post by lsayre » Mon. Jun. 04, 2018 10:22 am

It will only be a matter of time before the few remaining humans in the videos are replaced by additional robotics.

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Mon. Jun. 04, 2018 11:06 am

Then they can spend more time enjoying their coal stoves,.... because all the oil, gas, and electricity it produces to power the grid will be needed to run robots and EV cars. :yes:

Paul

coalnewbie
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL AnthraKing 180K, Pocono110K,KStokr 90K, DVC
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Invader 2
Baseburners & Antiques: Wings Best, Glenwood #8(x2) Herald 116x
Coal Size/Type: Rice,
Other Heating: Heating Oil CH, Toyotomi OM 22

Post by coalnewbie » Mon. Jun. 04, 2018 11:13 am

Our mail man Ernie retired, a really great guy. Now he is replaced by a lazy old sow who leaves parcels at the gate in the rain if for some reason it does not suit her. I can't wait for a robot to replace her.

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Mon. Jun. 04, 2018 11:22 am

Good videos. Now I have another reason not to order from Amazon. i doubt I average 1 order a year from them. But Im sure they are not the only company doing that kind of stuff. I hate seeing humans replaced that way but I understand the cost reasoning behind it.

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW), ComfortMax 75

Post by lsayre » Mon. Jun. 04, 2018 11:29 am

What happens to all that stuff when humans who are displaced from work can't afford to buy it?

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Mon. Jun. 04, 2018 1:14 pm

warminmn wrote:
Mon. Jun. 04, 2018 11:22 am
Good videos. Now I have another reason not to order from Amazon. i doubt I average 1 order a year from them. But Im sure they are not the only company doing that kind of stuff. I hate seeing humans replaced that way but I understand the cost reasoning behind it.
Does that mean you won't be buying cars, trucks, computers, or cell phones, also ? :D

BTW, Blacksmiths said the same about the automobile replacing the horse. Guess what happened to employment ? It went up, not down. And so did wages and quality of living.

And guess what most early automotive manufactures were before they started building cars, ..... Yup, the majority of early car manufactures were blacksmiths. ;)

Over 30 years ago some said that computers would put lots of people out of work, but the opposite happened.

There's lots more robots in use today then there were 17 years ago and yet, unemployment is at a 17 year low,...... and if it drops slightly more it will be at a 40 year low. ;)

Heck, even George Jetson had a job to go to. :lol:

Paul

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Mon. Jun. 04, 2018 1:23 pm

Sunny Boy wrote:
Mon. Jun. 04, 2018 1:14 pm
Does that mean you won't be buying cars, trucks, computers, or cell phones, also ? :D

Paul
I havent bought a car in 4 years and it was used, a truck in 8 years and it was used, a computer in maybe 10 years but that was new and I use a POS Tracfone that was $10. :lol: All those bastards would be out of business if they relied on me for money :lol:

Im not so sure about robots creating more jobs than are lost but time will tell and perhaps you will be right.

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Mon. Jun. 04, 2018 1:31 pm

warminmn wrote:
Mon. Jun. 04, 2018 1:23 pm
I havent bought a car in 4 years and it was used, a truck in 8 years and it was used, a computer in maybe 10 years but that was new and I use a POS Tracfone that was $10. :lol: All those bastards would be out of business if they relied on me for money :lol:

Im not so sure about robots creating more jobs than are lost but time will tell and perhaps you will be right.
Somebody has to build, ship, program, maintain, and repair all those robots. The time to worry is when only robots are the ones building, controlling, and caring for robots. And I doubt we'll see that in our lifetime. ;)

Paul

rberq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1300 with hopper
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Anthracite Nut
Other Heating: Oil hot water radiators (fuel oil); propane

Post by rberq » Mon. Jun. 04, 2018 3:44 pm

Sunny Boy wrote:
Mon. Jun. 04, 2018 1:14 pm
And guess what most early automotive manufactures were before they started building cars, ..... Yup, the majority of early car manufactures were blacksmiths. ;)
My wife's great uncle is listed in the census as a body builder. Not quite what the term means today -- he built horse-drawn carriages, then graduated to wooden auto bodies. :) Once the woodies were gone he was ready to retire, so he had lucky timing in terms of employment.

coalnewbie
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL AnthraKing 180K, Pocono110K,KStokr 90K, DVC
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Invader 2
Baseburners & Antiques: Wings Best, Glenwood #8(x2) Herald 116x
Coal Size/Type: Rice,
Other Heating: Heating Oil CH, Toyotomi OM 22

Post by coalnewbie » Mon. Jun. 04, 2018 4:10 pm

Where was he when my Ash wood based chassis Morgan car twisted and I had to throw the car away.

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Mon. Jun. 04, 2018 5:32 pm

rberq wrote:
Mon. Jun. 04, 2018 3:44 pm
My wife's great uncle is listed in the census as a body builder. Not quite what the term means today -- he built horse-drawn carriages, then graduated to wooden auto bodies. :) Once the woodies were gone he was ready to retire, so he had lucky timing in terms of employment.

The demand for automotive wood workers exceeded the number of carriage and wagon trade workers it replaced. At least up until 1934 when all-steel construction started to replace wood framing in car and truck bodies. Some all wood woodies were still being built into the 1950's.

Paul

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Mon. Jun. 04, 2018 5:59 pm

rberq wrote:
Mon. Jun. 04, 2018 9:53 am
Great videos. Not how I would have envisioned a sorting facility. I wish there was a little more verbal explanation of how it works; for example, is each robot more or less self-controlled once it is set in motion, or are all of them simultaneously monitored and moved by a central computer, or some combination of the two?
I would imagine combination of the two with primary control from central location. The bot likely knows it's location based on some kind of positioning system, see how it's set in a grid with what appears to be little marker in the middle? That is likely relayed to a central control along with where it wants to go and the bot is given green light to operate over the next block(s).

It's entirely possible they may be able to work independently. That may even be built into the system as redundancy in case something goes wrong with central control. That would not seem as efficient as centrally controlled which can control the flow of traffic over the entire floor.

Return to “Technology”