Computer scam

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Wed. Sep. 20, 2017 7:55 am

Have you ever heard an Indian go off on a tirade.... :lol:
Best one was 'Steve' from Texas...
I strung him along for 10 minutes...
Then he figured he was had...
When I asked him why he had such a funny accent being from Texas... ;)

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Wed. Sep. 20, 2017 8:53 am

lsayre wrote:This site has pointers to some "cleaners" that will potentially find and kill the offending malware.

https://malwaretips.com/blogs/your-computer-has-been-locked-virus/
Looks like a good site.

I doubt any adware was able to get through the security suite "F Secure" supplied free by Spectrum. It routinely blocks many perfectly legitimate ads and even refuses to open many sites, or rather the site will not accept because ads are blocked.

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Wed. Sep. 20, 2017 9:17 am

Trust nothing...
If it touches the internet assume it can\will be hacked...
Perfect example here...
Was wondering why some of my suite of cleaners was marking CCleaner as malware...
Well before this news hit the public forums...
Now I know...
Multi layer defense... ;)
https://www.engadget.com/2017/09/18/piriform-ccleaner-hacked-malware-downloads/

top top

Post by top top » Sun. Sep. 24, 2017 3:00 pm

My tablet would get the "computer locked, call this phone number" thing. Using task manager to shut down did not help, nor did powering down and restarting. I think I had to use "system recovery" to get out, then it came back again a couple weeks later. I changed browser settings to open to a blank page. Now when it happens I can use task manager to close, then reopen the browser without problems.

When the telephone scammers want to repair my computer I ask them "What's a computer?" After unsuccessfully trying to explain it to me they just hang up.

Another one that calls a lot wants to reduce my credit card interest rate. Claims to represent the CC companies and they are monitoring my excellent payment history which qualifies me for a better rate. Then they ask for my balance and card number. Seems to me they would already know that if they're monitoring my account and represent the card company. I question their authenticity and get a long spiel assuring me of who they are, then ask again. One Indian guy after I told him I hear what you're saying but I don't believe you. I think you're running some sort of scam. He got a little upset and asked if I would believe him if he said he had a 24 inch ****. Some of these guys are fun to annoy.

Check out the video in this link.

https://www.wimp.com/what-happens-when-you-respond-to-spam-emails/

rjc862003

Post by rjc862003 » Tue. Oct. 31, 2017 5:23 pm

I am a pc tech by trade
big red flag here folks
Microsoft will never I REPEAT NEVER Call or Email You out of the blue. period

yes Microsoft support has been known on occasion to need remote access but this is always done as the support agents request
the tool they use is based on msdt/logmeinrescue
they will never call you with claims of a infection or problem with your computer period end you call them they don't call you

I thoroughly enjoy giving these Ashholes a vm to mess around with and let them run in circles wasting as much as there time as possible

cabinover
Stoker Coal Boiler: Hybrid Axeman Anderson 130
Baseburners & Antiques: Sparkle #12
Coal Size/Type: Pea, Buckwheat, Nut
Other Heating: LP Hot air. WA TX for coal use.

Post by cabinover » Tue. Oct. 31, 2017 6:48 pm

Both of those are great ideas for these scamming dirtbags. I had one I played with last week from, I'm guessing, Pakistan. His name was Eric Johnson. He asked me if I'd recently done anything to my computer to change it. I told him yes, I had done something to change it, I made the screen size bigger so I could see bigger boobies. I actually got him laughing and he offered to pay me for the sites. :lol:

I told him I'd wait for the check in the mail, call me back next week.

Return to “Technology”