Losing My Email Provider

lowfog01
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Mark II & Mark I
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea

Post by lowfog01 » Sun. Apr. 23, 2017 3:22 pm

Hi guys,

We just got word that verizon is getting out of the email business. Does anyone have any recommendations for a new email server? We'd like to make the move sooner rather then later but have had verizon for forever and have no idea what's out there. Thanks, Lisa
Last edited by Richard S. on Sun. Apr. 23, 2017 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved to technology forum

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sun. Apr. 23, 2017 3:33 pm

I have been very happy with Gmail.

Outlook.com works well also.

davidmcbeth3
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea/anthra

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Sun. Apr. 23, 2017 4:00 pm

Rob R. wrote:I have been very happy with Gmail.

Outlook.com works well also.
Outlook is terrible now ... IMO

Not a fan of gmail

Yahoo?

rberq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1300 with hopper
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Anthracite Nut
Other Heating: Oil hot water radiators (fuel oil); propane

Post by rberq » Sun. Apr. 23, 2017 4:01 pm

I have used Google (gmail.com) for some years now.
Free, works pretty well, integrates well with Google calendar to send reminders of birth dates, dentist appointments, and so on.
I get very little in the spam folder, so Google must be sending most obvious junk to oblivion.

I had Yahoo mail before Google. Also free and works OK, but given the uncertain future of the company I have largely stopped relying on it. Plenty of spam still comes through, but most of the raunchy stuff I used to get has stopped.

Microsoft has Hotmail, which I think is comparable to Google, but I have never used it. I don't know if you need Microsoft Outlook in order to use Hotmail.

With all these, I believe your mail is all stored in the cloud, not on your computer. So with any of them you sell another little piece of your soul. :cry:

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Sun. Apr. 23, 2017 4:07 pm

I agree with David. outlook hotmail is not very good anymore. (I think thats what David meant by outlook) I have a hotmail address I use for all my business, had it for years so don't want to dump it, but I dislike its changes.

I also have a yahoo email and I like it. It has a news link you can check on that is decent.

Im unfamiliar with any others.

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Sun. Apr. 23, 2017 4:26 pm

Ifyou look around you can get your own domain [email protected] TLD is short for top level domain and there is bunch of them including .com

[email protected] :D

Might cost you like $10/year. You don't need to have web hosting services, some registrars have full email services and will at the very least have email forwarding. For example if you forward it to [email protected] and Verizon decides they no longer want to provide that service you just go to the domain registrar and forward it to [email protected]. In other words as long as you keep paying the bill you can't lose the email address.

Richard S.
Mayor

Post by Richard S. » Sun. Apr. 23, 2017 4:28 pm

warminmn wrote:I agree with David. outlook hotmail is not very good anymore. (I think thats what David meant by outlook) I have a hotmail address I use for all my business, had it for years so don't want to dump it, but I dislike its changes.

I also have a yahoo email and I like it. It has a news link you can check on that is decent.

Im unfamiliar with any others.
You know you don't need to use the web interface for those accounts?

Thunderbird for example can be set up to retrieve email from them.

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Sun. Apr. 23, 2017 5:52 pm

I use the Windows Live mail that came with Windows 7. I find it easier and faster to use than an online service line Gmail, or AOL. My internet provider (Frontier) also has webmail that my account goes through so that I can also check emails if I'm away from home - even after I've downloaded to my Live Mail program.

Paul

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Sun. Apr. 23, 2017 6:10 pm

Rocketmail is another.

snuffy
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman SF250 & Mark III backup
Other Heating: Oil Hot Water

Post by snuffy » Sun. Apr. 23, 2017 6:32 pm

I got the same issue. Verizon has been a complete pain in the arse. I'm contemplating a free site called jumble.io - it has encryption built in but based in Switzerland. I wish duckduckgo had email in addition to its search engine which I use exclusively. It's starting to get creepy seeing near simultaneous ads on my laptop and TV even though I don't use Comcast internet.

Richard S.
Mayor

Post by Richard S. » Sun. Apr. 23, 2017 8:03 pm

Sunny Boy wrote: so that I can also check emails if I'm away from home - even after I've downloaded to my Live Mail program.
That depends on how you set up the email client. there is either POP3 or IMAP. POP3 downloads the messages to your local machine. The Inbox, Sent, trash and whatever else you have only exist on the local machine.

If you use IMAP all those folders exist on the server. Messages you have downloaded can be stored in various ways including offline but by default if you delete a message on one computer when you open the inbox on the other computer it will sync up with the server and delete the local copy on the other machine.

Richard S.
Mayor

Post by Richard S. » Sun. Apr. 23, 2017 8:32 pm

snuffy wrote: I'm contemplating a free site called jumble.io - it has encryption built in but based in Switzerland.
As I expected the recipient will need to register with that service to read the encrypted email.

https://www.jumble.io/how-it-works

The way public/private key encryption works is the public key is given to the person that wants to send you something encrypted. The public key can only be used to encrypt an email/file. When they send it to you the private key can be used to decrypt it. This prerequisite that the person sending you an encrypted email/file has your public key is the primary reason email encryption is not widely used.

These keys are always generated on the local machine, if at any point in the process the private key/password for the private key is in the possession of someone else then it's not secure. I would assume this service is just facilitating the generation of these keys locally and the the exchange of the public key but I'd research it more.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Sun. Apr. 23, 2017 8:42 pm

Richard S. wrote:
Sunny Boy wrote: so that I can also check emails if I'm away from home - even after I've downloaded to my Live Mail program.
That depends on how you set up the email client. there is either POP3 or IMAP. POP3 downloads the messages to your local machine. The Inbox, Sent, trash and whatever else you have only exist on the local machine.

If you use IMAP all those folders exist on the server. Messages you have downloaded can be stored in various ways including offline but by default if you delete a message on one computer when you open the inbox on the other computer it will sync up with the server and delete the local copy on the other machine.
Richard,
If I understand what your saying, your describing what sounds like an "and/or" situation. Not so.

When I open Windows Live Mail in my desktop, it automatically goes online and downloads any new emails since the last time I opened that program.

I can then reply to those messages, or file them in folders that I create within the Live Mail program on my desktop, store them on flash drive, or delete them.

I can then go online to my webmail account at my internet provider and all those messages, plus others that I downloaded at previous times, but haven't deleted in webmail yet, are all there in my webmail account. Including all the ones I just deleted within my Live Mail program in my computer. I can then reply to them from webmail, delete them there at webmail, or move them to any folders that I want to create within my webmail account. So if I somehow screw-up and delete an email by accident in Live Mail, I can go to webmail and still reply, or cut/paste that email into Live Mail to reply to it, or store it in one of my Live Mail folders.

I only use on computer with the Live Mail. Any other computer I use is away from my office so I go to my webmail account. But, no matter what I do in Live Mail the only way to delete messages in webmail is to actually log into my webmail account and delete them there.

Paul

snuffy
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman SF250 & Mark III backup
Other Heating: Oil Hot Water

Post by snuffy » Sun. Apr. 23, 2017 8:54 pm

There's always a fly somewhere.

A column written by Susan Estrich (sp?) in today's Sunday paper echo's this creepiness of data collection by these large providers.

I've spent a large part of my career creating and analyzing demographic data so I know to much already about how these small, seemingly useless nuggets of data (like color preference), can be used to manipulate how and what we do.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sun. Apr. 23, 2017 9:19 pm

I have an outlook account - I use the IMAP settings to access the email from our laptop. I just find it simplier and faster than the web interface. I can delete/move items just fine without logging into the web interface.

Return to “Technology”