grumpy

Post by grumpy » Tue. Mar. 28, 2017 8:31 pm

Your data is now just a Trump signature away of being officially for sale

http://mashable.com/2017/03/28/house-vote-internet-data-privacy/#_gCGWKRaxkq0

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Tue. Mar. 28, 2017 8:58 pm

This might force people to stop being so stupid with what they put on HACKABLE cyber crap. Nice move Pres. Trump being they're to stupid to do it on their own. :)

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Tue. Mar. 28, 2017 9:30 pm

grumpy wrote:Your data is now just a Trump signature away of being officially for sale

http://mashable.com/2017/03/28/house-vote-internet-data-privacy/#_gCGWKRaxkq0
This is really bad bill, anything like this should be opt out instead of opt in. Keep in mind if this goes through you can prevent them sharing your info by opting out.

Also....if it's over https like coalpail.com your ISP will only know what domain you are visiting. They can't even tell what page you are requesting let alone what the contents are. As far as the ISP's I'd be much more concerned about the email. That can be hidden from them with encryption but it's PITA.

Overall this small issue compared to the data Google and other behemoths have on you... really.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Tue. Mar. 28, 2017 9:36 pm

Richard S. wrote:Overall this small issue compared to the data Google and other behemoths have on you... really.
That's for sure. I use the Google DNS servers and have a Gmail email address. :oops:

grumpy

Post by grumpy » Tue. Mar. 28, 2017 9:39 pm

This is really bad bill, anything like this should be opt out instead of opt in. Keep in mind if this goes through you can prevent them sharing your info by opting out.
I have not read the bill, but are you sure about this..?

Richard S.
Mayor

Post by Richard S. » Tue. Mar. 28, 2017 9:41 pm

freetown fred wrote:This might force people to stop being so stupid with what they put on HACKABLE cyber crap.
The issue is the ISP can analyze the data of what you are viewing. The new rule under Obama would have required customers to opt in to allowing them to share that data. This bill will reverse that and require action on the customers part to opt out....

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Tue. Mar. 28, 2017 9:44 pm

So basically, people are going to have to THINK. Now there's a dying art. :(

grumpy

Post by grumpy » Tue. Mar. 28, 2017 9:45 pm

So we can Opt out, but they won't make it easy for us to do that..

Richard S.
Mayor

Post by Richard S. » Tue. Mar. 28, 2017 9:51 pm

grumpy wrote: I have not read the bill, but are you sure about this..?
There is really good article on it here, this all stems from the reclassification to common carrier.

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2017/03/how-isps-can-sell-your-web-history-and-how-to-stop-them/

Richard S.
Mayor

Post by Richard S. » Tue. Mar. 28, 2017 9:52 pm

grumpy wrote:So we can Opt out, but they won't make it easy for us to do that..
No, it will be buried on some obscure web page....

grumpy

Post by grumpy » Tue. Mar. 28, 2017 11:05 pm

Richard S. wrote:
grumpy wrote: I have not read the bill, but are you sure about this..?
There is really good article on it here, this all stems from the reclassification to common carrier.

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2017/03/how-isps-can-sell-your-web-history-and-how-to-stop-them/
good post Rich,, thanks.

davidmcbeth3
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea/anthra

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Wed. Mar. 29, 2017 12:42 am

That's why (and for other good legal reasons) my wifi is unsecure and I am happy to have people use it w/o my knowledge.

One should not do anything over a "secure" wifi system that they would not do over an unsecured network because, in reality, its not that secure.

Someone hacks into your system and uses it for child *censored* .. guess who is going to either a) go to prison or b) get hit with a hefty legal bill defending themselves to stay out of prison ? Well, not the person with the unsecure wifi ... its the person with the "secure" wifi ... [assuming wifi owner-person is not trafficking child *censored* of course]

Turbogeno
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL Pocono
Hand Fed Coal Stove: VC Vigilant II at home and a military surplus tent heater at camp
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite, Rice and Nut
Other Heating: Oil hot water baseboard and DHW

Post by Turbogeno » Wed. Mar. 29, 2017 5:13 am

I'm on my second year with a VPN provider. I can surf (phone and home computer) from various places around the world and they claim they do not save or sell your surfing history. Some sites block their IP's but the vast majority of my surfing is (I hope) known only to me. Present company excepted. Once I upgrade the software on my phone I'll be able to turn individual app permissions on and off.
https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Wed. Mar. 29, 2017 8:08 am

T, do you really believe all that? I have NEVER trusted all this cyber crap & will continue to believe that ANYONE with the know how can get any info they want from anyone they want no matter how secure they claim to be. Like stated--GOOGLE does it & God knows who else! We have become so gullible as to these people caring about our privacy, it gets an occasional giggle from me--that's right--I said GIGGLE!! :lol: PS--the Government is the least of our worries in this area but we all need scapegoats!!

Richard S.
Mayor

Post by Richard S. » Wed. Mar. 29, 2017 11:12 am

freetown fred wrote:T, do you really believe all that? I have NEVER trusted all this cyber crap & will continue to believe that ANYONE with the know how can get any info they want from anyone they want no matter how secure they claim to be.
What he is using anonymizes his personal IP which is one way you are tracked especially if you have taken measures to block other things. Your ISP assigns an IP to the router, you are the only one in the entire world with that number. The limitations of tracking by IP is their can be any number of computers behind that router in the household. A VPN takes that a step further and is routing all their customers traffic through an IP. This by itself will not anonymize you but it's very big step.
Turbogeno wrote:Some sites block their IP's but the vast majority of my surfing is (I hope) known only to me.
This becomes problematic for someone running a server, when you have traffic coming from the same IP making multiple requests that is associated with potential unwanted behavior. For example DDoS attacks, bots searching for exploitable scripts and rogue bots scraping content. If there is few customers using that VPN to access this site you will all find it unavailable for short time.

On a side note if anyone finds that happening to them let me know.

Return to “Technology”