Thinking of New Smart Phone...

oliver power
Stoker Coal Boiler: KEYSTOKER Kaa-2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93 & 30-95, Vigilant (pre-2310), D.S. 1600 Circulator, Hitzer 254

Post by oliver power » Sat. Feb. 25, 2017 12:54 pm

I've never been on this board till now. Didn't know it existed till now. Anyways, I'm thinking of updating my smart phone. I have an older smart phone. For the most part, I use it only as a phone. I don't even have texting. I use to check the weather, when on job sites. However, it is old, has a small screen, and is harder to see now.

My employee's have bigger smart phones. One is a Motorola, and he likes it. The other employee's phone has so many buttons on it, every time he hands me his phone, I hit buttons by mistake. I don't like that about his phone.

I also considered an I-phone. From what I'm told, the apple format is completely different, and would take some getting use to. I don't think that would be a big deal, as I hardly know the phone I have. I've considered getting an apple computer in time. People who have apple computers say they'd never go back to windows. I'm no computer wiz. So, I hope I used the proper terminologies.

Would like to text, look at weather, flashlight, decent camera, play u-tube video, etc..

Anyways; I'm looking for advice / opinions. If you were to buy a new smart phone, what would you buy? What brand, model, and why? If it matters, I have Verison. I Thank You for any feed back.
Last edited by oliver power on Sat. Feb. 25, 2017 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

davidmcbeth3
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea/anthra

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Sat. Feb. 25, 2017 12:56 pm

I have not been happy with any cellphone carrier or phone.

I don't have one.

Just posted to say welcome to the forum.

oliver power
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93 & 30-95, Vigilant (pre-2310), D.S. 1600 Circulator, Hitzer 254

Post by oliver power » Sat. Feb. 25, 2017 1:25 pm

davidmcbeth3 wrote:I have not been happy with any cellphone carrier or phone.

I don't have one.

Just posted to say welcome to the forum.
Wish I could say I don't have one..... Being in business, I have people contacting me all the time. So, I almost need a cell phone. As long as I have to have one, I'd like to take advantage of the up to date features :) .

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sat. Feb. 25, 2017 1:47 pm

Motorola G4 from Amazon. Great reception and battery life, nice screen.

Turbogeno
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL Pocono
Hand Fed Coal Stove: VC Vigilant II at home and a military surplus tent heater at camp
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite, Rice and Nut
Other Heating: Oil hot water baseboard and DHW

Post by Turbogeno » Sat. Feb. 25, 2017 1:49 pm

It doesn’t sound like you need a lot. People trade in perfectly good phones every day and some have big screens. There's many websites that sell them. I wouldn’t do that unless it was a reputable seller who offers a warranty. You could get an older model or a refurb from a carrier. Or go new. They'll all have the features you want and others you may want to use in the future. Calendar, email, alarms, etc. I like the Android os because it's more customizable. I hacked my Samsung Note 4 and have root access. If you get an Apple you’ll probably get used to it quickly. There are probably hundreds of YouTube videos that show the basics of both phones.

grumpy

Post by grumpy » Sat. Feb. 25, 2017 1:58 pm

FYI

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sat. Feb. 25, 2017 3:13 pm

Remember when you were THINKIN about changing stoves--how'd that work out??? just sayin! :clap: toothy

oliver power

Post by oliver power » Sat. Feb. 25, 2017 4:05 pm

freetown fred wrote:Remember when you were THINKIN about changing stoves--how'd that work out??? just sayin! :clap: toothy
:oops: :oops:

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Sat. Feb. 25, 2017 4:35 pm

If you like a big screen, look at the Samsung Note. I've had two. Zero trouble, long battery life, BIG screen.

CoalHeat
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Baseburners & Antiques: Sears Signal Oak 15 & Andes Kitchen Range
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Post by CoalHeat » Sat. Feb. 25, 2017 8:50 pm

I also considered an I-phone. From what I'm told, the apple format is completely different, and would take some getting use to. I don't think that would be a big deal, as I hardly know the phone I have. I've considered getting an apple computer in time. People who have apple computers say they'd never go back to windows.
I have only had an iPhone, so I really can't recommend one phone or another. As far as the difference when moving to an Apple product, it's not a big deal. I went all Apple in 2011, iMac, then an iPhone, and then an iPad. And yes, I would never go back to Windows. I will have had the iMac for 6 years this coming June, so far zero issues and it's still working fine.

gaw
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Coal Size/Type: Rice from Schuylkill County

Post by gaw » Sun. Feb. 26, 2017 12:31 am

I like my Samsung phones. The wife has an IPhone. I may get a Google Pixel next time around but that’s a few years from now. I prefer the android format over the Apple but that is probably because I started with android.

Whatever you get buy an Otter Box to keep it safe.

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Sun. Feb. 26, 2017 7:19 am

My son got a Google phone he hates it. He is convinced it is out to get him.

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Sun. Feb. 26, 2017 7:50 am

2 iPhones later, latest is 6s, love it, never had a problem, had a flip phone for many years. didn't think I ever wanted a smart phone.

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Sun. Feb. 26, 2017 10:47 am

I really love this android Samsung Galaxy 6 I'm currently using. It takes awesome pics and video, it does pretty much everything a computer can do. I actually prefer using it instead of the computer to post on the coal board and social media. It's just more convenient. For example, to post pictures with the computer I gotta get out the camera, take pics, upload to computer, edit (if any) which requires an editing program, re save the picture, then I can finally upload and post it. With the Galaxy 6, simply take the picture, editing is right in the gallery, and upload. It's all right here in the palm of my hand. Love it.

My wife uses the iPhone. She likes it, I don't. Whenever I do something with her phone (I help her free up space since it's constantly jammed up) I wanna throw it.

Return to “Technology”