Time to Update Stereo Receiver...What to Look at?

KLook
Other Heating: Wishing it was cold enough for coal here....not really

Post by KLook » Thu. Dec. 08, 2016 9:11 pm

And a good thing, modern receivers do not have turntable inputs. At all. I have a 15 year old Yamaha that does not accept them. I pulled out my old Pioneer turntable and repaired it only to find I had nothing to plug it in to. :( I have to buy a converter to amplify the signal from it. I have all the above listed paraphanalia and it is nice and convenient but not like the old power setups.

Kevin

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Thu. Dec. 08, 2016 10:04 pm

Looking to update the entertainment center also...
For now can only look as the three in daycare/preschool consume most free cash...
Amazon #1 good price too at $350...
Still have my old Yamaha it wants to live forever...
It too lives in the cave...
Plays very nice with my Crate piano speakers...
Sounded better than the JBL Studio's which were the speaker at that time...
Have to do some work on the Crate speakers horns went some how...
Maybe it was the bridged Crown's for the big block parties... ;)

titleist1

Post by titleist1 » Fri. Dec. 09, 2016 9:32 am

The speaker rebuild was a fun project for last winter. I read through the Polk forums and learned a lot. Rebuilt the crossover circuits and replaced one of the tweeters. Learned you can drop big $ on the components but figured with my reduced hearing the semi high end caps and resistors were fine. Turned out good, I could definitely hear the difference from before and after even on the speaker that didn't have the blown tweeter.

titleist1

Post by titleist1 » Mon. Dec. 26, 2016 8:35 pm

The Yamaha sound bar is in and connected, the Samsung blu ray / DVD / CD player is in and connected. Removed old CD player, VHS-DVD player and c-rappy receiver that fit where the Onkyo could not. The spaghetti of RCA plugs / wires / speaker wire all replaced with one HDMI cable and one fiber cable....whatta mess it was compared to new cabling.

Sound bar didn't sound good at all under the TV shelf - I thought I'd made a mistake buying it. Moved some stuff off the top of the EC, placed the sound bar up there and there was a HUUUUGE improvement in sound quality. Decorating committee hasn't yet seen the improvements I made.

I don't think I need to get the receiver at this point. iPod plays through sound bar via bluetooth which is good enough for those compressed files. I am real happy it turned out to be only a $200 upgrade. The Onkyo/Denon/Polks live on downstairs where I don't get bothered about the serious music being too loud or being the wrong genre.
Last edited by titleist1 on Tue. Dec. 27, 2016 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

cabinover
Stoker Coal Boiler: Hybrid Axeman Anderson 130
Baseburners & Antiques: Sparkle #12
Coal Size/Type: Pea, Buckwheat, Nut
Other Heating: LP Hot air. WA TX for coal use.

Post by cabinover » Tue. Dec. 27, 2016 5:37 am

Hope you didn't buy a Sony BluRay. Worst POS I have ever purchased. Constantly having to reset connection between it and wifi and they are only 15' away from each other.

Netflix is good though.

Hang on to that old stuff, it'll just keep on working.

Return to “Technology”