Need New Laptop. Linux?

creek44
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by creek44 » Sun. Nov. 20, 2016 9:51 am

I am in need of a new laptop at home primarily for web surfing and considering options. Anyone have a recommendation for a reasonably priced computer already loaded with a linux operating system only. Presently using an HP Probook 4530s 64 bit Windows 7 pro with 4GB ram and AVG antivirus. Takes forever to start up ( always has and getting worse) and is running hot all of the time now when I start browsing. Thought about upgrading to 8GB ram and new cooling fan which would be a gamble. Unable to find a background program that may be slowing it down. Thinking a new linux system laptop would fit the bill for my basic computer needs at home since this one seems to be on its way out.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sun. Nov. 20, 2016 9:53 am

Why not install Linux on your current laptop?

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW), ComfortMax 75

Post by lsayre » Sun. Nov. 20, 2016 9:56 am

Rob R. wrote:Why not install Linux on your current laptop?
I agree, it's a breeze to install. I recommend that you download Linux Mint 18 (particularly the "Mate" edition) and burn it to a DVD. The download is free. Install from the DVD.

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Sun. Nov. 20, 2016 10:50 am

I did this myself a while back, switching my Windows 7 laptop to Linux after asking the same type of question here. Its easy to do. The only thing I tire of is all the password protection but I eventually figured out how to lessen it. I use Chrome browser mostly, but Mozilla works too and is what most Linux users seem to use. For web use you will not mind Linux. The picture program is not as good but good enough. If your techy Im sure you can troubleshoot that. I cant seem to figure out how to get adobe to work either and tried many ways and gave up as I don't need it badly.

You can install it as a stand alone or side by side with windows, or just load off of you usb or dvd for one time use to try it out.

creek44

Post by creek44 » Sun. Nov. 20, 2016 11:22 am

Thanks for the replies. Current laptop is iffy with its overheating and slowness. I would be willing to try the mint on this. Nothing to lose. I am assuming that it can be started from the dvd or usb once downloaded without starting windows to see how the computer behaves without windows if I understand you all correctly. Believe me, I am not anxious to buy another computer. It would be a winner if I could startup in linux to browse which is what I am doing mostly with this. When I need the Windows side for my other work related programs off line, I would still have that side if I understand correctly.

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Sun. Nov. 20, 2016 11:51 am

If you install it correctly you can run it side by side but Im not techy enough to explain how. Larry or Rob can I think.

Linux does not use much space for its operating system. Old 10 or 20 GB putes may even run well with it.

lsayre

Post by lsayre » Sun. Nov. 20, 2016 12:10 pm

As I recall, the install sequence will ask if you want to install it along side of Windows. Not having Windows, I've never concerned myself with this option. Proceed with caution, as if you lose Windows during the install it will be gone forever. No guarantees. Make a tested and functioning back-up of Windows first. Back up all data files also.

I believe the DVD will boot and run without being installed, albeit dog slowly.

Linux is not Windows. You will not be running Windows programs on it. There is the 'Wine" Windows emulator, but it has some issues (although it is continually improving). Actually it isn't an emulator, but a full OS that mimics Windows without using any actual Windows code. In typical humorous Linux fashion, Wine officially stands for "Wine Is Not an Emulator".

creek44

Post by creek44 » Sun. Nov. 20, 2016 12:59 pm

I appreciate the pointers from everyone. I have an old XP desktop machine or two that might be good for getting my feet wet with Linux without worrying about loosing the windows program on this laptop. I think I will start there to see how it goes. In the meantime, I will update the backup on my laptop to the external drive.

Rob R.
Site Moderator

Post by Rob R. » Sun. Nov. 20, 2016 1:01 pm

If all you need to do is browse the web, there is really no reason to use Windows (or keep it). Linux and Google Chrome for a web browser will work very well.

Burning a DVD for the installation is simple, and so is making a bootable USB drive. You will need the 64 bit version, and I agree with Larry that the "Mate" desktop is what you should use.

https://linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=220

One thing I will caution you about - do not just erase all of the partitions on the hard drive. One of them is likely a system restore partition, and/or for hibernation. You should be able to use the partition currently used by windows, which is likely the largest one.

Rob R.
Site Moderator

Post by Rob R. » Sun. Nov. 20, 2016 1:02 pm

creek44 wrote:I appreciate the pointers from everyone. I have an old XP desktop machine or two that might be good for getting my feet wet with Linux without worrying about loosing the windows program on this laptop. I think I will start there to see how it goes. In the meantime, I will update the backup on my laptop to the external drive.
The desktop machine would be a little more simple. That seems like a great place to start. Just erase the harddrive and install Mint as a stand alone OS.

lsayre

Post by lsayre » Sun. Nov. 20, 2016 6:50 pm

It is my understanding that the new (as of version 18) installer for Mint will (if you choose the option to place Linux along side of Windows) do all of the partition moving, shrinking, creating. etc. for you automatically. No longer do you need to mess with partitioning and creating partitions and moving and shrinking them etc...

I guy where I used to work (I've just recently retired) said he did it and it worked fine for him. No guarantees though!!!

creek44

Post by creek44 » Sun. Nov. 20, 2016 7:09 pm

Thanks all. Good to know. I will report my experience when I get into it.

BunkerdCaddis
Stoker Coal Boiler: Bairmatic-Van Wert
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Van Wert VW85H
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Saey Hanover II working when I feel the desire, Waterford 105 out on vacation, Surdiac Gotha hiding somewhere
Coal Size/Type: pea/nut/rice/stove-anthracite, nut/stove bit when I feel the urge
Other Heating: oil fired hydronic

Post by BunkerdCaddis » Tue. Nov. 22, 2016 6:42 pm

creek44 wrote:I have an old XP desktop machine or two that might be good for getting my feet wet with Linux
For what little it might be worth, my interweb surfboard is a 15 or so year old Pentium 4 (the one I'm using right now) running a version of Linux called Puppy Linux. It runs entirely in ram (I have 1GB) and can be done w/o a hard drive. It boots from a CD but does not run off the CD like a live disc. It's fast, fairly user friendly and intuitive. If it happens to hang up I just reboot and I have a fresh install ready to go. I have the latest version of FireFox with a bunch of add ons (the reason for the occasional hang up) and run two or three windows open with 5 to 10 tabs each, open at the same time. I also run Opera and Iron web browsers at the same time. If the power goes out so what, it just reboots. I am in no way knocking Linux Mint, I use that on a laptop I have and like it a lot also but it takes more power to run it than Puppy does. The only draw back? I don't think there is any active development on the OS itself anymore although there is an active user community, but I haven't kept up w/ that.

http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=puppy

Rob R.
Site Moderator

Post by Rob R. » Fri. Feb. 03, 2017 6:13 am

creek44 wrote:Thanks all. Good to know. I will report my experience when I get into it.
Did you ever take the Linux plunge?

Rob R.
Site Moderator

Post by Rob R. » Tue. Jan. 01, 2019 2:39 pm

creek44 wrote:
Sun. Nov. 20, 2016 7:09 pm
Thanks all. Good to know. I will report my experience when I get into it.
How did it go?

Return to “Technology”