Degree Symbols, Superscripts, Etc..., in Linux Mint (Ubuntu)

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW), ComfortMax 75

Post by lsayre » Tue. Oct. 11, 2016 7:13 am

I've installed the latest version of a flavor of the Linux Operating System called Linux Mint 18 (a spin-off of Ubuntu, with Linux in general being a spin off of UNIX), and in so doing I lost my ability to type in "special character set" characters. Then I remembered that I had left simple instructions on this forum on how to to set your keyboard up to access these, and in about a minute I was back in business again.

Example:
The temperature here presently is 43° F. (The special character here is the 'degree' sign.)

And here is how I did it: Typing Special Characters in Linux Mint the Easy Way

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Tue. Oct. 11, 2016 7:47 am

This is the OS I ended out going to. (I had posted earlier about looking for a new os). The only issue I have had with it was with my printer, as it wont print without color ink installed, (I refuse to buy color ink as to expensive the amount I print which is daily) so I use an old XP computer for that. Its my simple way of dealing with that, lol. Other than that it seems easy to use except for the password prompts, which I somewhat eliminated.

Which browser do you use? I use chrome as I like its bookmarking better than firefox, but they are both ok.

I'll keep your info handy in case I ever need it. Thanks

lsayre

Post by lsayre » Tue. Oct. 11, 2016 9:04 am

warminmn wrote:This is the OS I ended out going to. (I had posted earlier about looking for a new os). The only issue I have had with it was with my printer, as it wont print without color ink installed, (I refuse to buy color ink as to expensive the amount I print which is daily) so I use an old XP computer for that. Its my simple way of dealing with that, lol. Other than that it seems easy to use except for the password prompts, which I somewhat eliminated.

Which browser do you use? I use chrome as I like its bookmarking better than firefox, but they are both ok.

I'll keep your info handy in case I ever need it. Thanks
You only need to set your Linux system up to do special characters once. After that, it will be available to you always.

I prefer Firefox to Chrome.

davidmcbeth3
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea/anthra

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Tue. Oct. 11, 2016 10:44 am

ASCII Code has it .. ALT-179 maybe

lsayre

Post by lsayre » Tue. Oct. 11, 2016 11:16 am

davidmcbeth3 wrote:ASCII Code has it .. ALT-179 maybe
Works for Windows. Doesn't work in Linux.

For Linux or UNIX you must first hold down the CTRL and Shift keys, and then while doing this press the letter "u", and then enter the 4 digits that represent the Unicode # for each special character.

The method I linked to makes this process far easier for Linux than that, and at least as easy as Windows.
The steps to create the degree symbol (for example) are reduced to typing: ALT-oo

Return to “Technology”