I Bought Myself a PS4...

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Tue. Mar. 22, 2016 7:38 pm

As some of you know I spend some time at my Grandmothers and with only a crappy laptop anything beyond cards is just not doable. My cousin lives nearby we're having a lot of fun with it. Last time I really played console games was back in the 90's. Mostly Sega with friends in the early 90's, and some one player games for PS1 and PS2 late nineties. Gran Turismo was my favorite which I will be getting as soon as it's available.

Getting back to the PS4 so far so good, no really big complaints about the system itself.

It came with Call of Duty Black Ops which I have only played briefly. Getting the handle on using the stick for aiming is difficult however it appears I can use my wireless logitech keyboard and mouse which I don't have here at the moment. I'm assuming I'll be able to map the controls to the mouse and keyboard and then I'll get back to that game.

Grand Theft Auto V, it's great game but same thing with that, aiming with the stick is difficult. I realize there is auto aim feature but that seems like cheating. When I played GTA3 on the PC I'd switch between the controller for driving and the keyboard and mouse for everything else.

I purchased Madden 15 used, can't see spending $40 more. This is much more complex than when we used to play it on Sega. Certainly going to be very fun once I learn how to play it well. The one complaint I have about this is limited options for 2 players sitting on a couch. I'm not going to be spending the time trying to achieve rewards etc. I have not really looked into it but it would be really nice if two players could just create their own fantasy team with historic players and just go at it without having to go through all the bullshit. If anyone has any insight on how to do this easily then let me know.

Rory Mcilroy golf, this disc almost got the axe. There is no way to start a two player game when you first put the disc in. There is a very long thing that goes through the directions on how to play it and some long ass 9 holes with videos of Rory Mcilroy in between. It's only after this that you can too the main options screen. You only have to do it once but WTF kind of BS is that? The game itself once you get to play it is really good. Two complaints about this game, the first is same problem with football, you can create a custom player but need to play challenges to improve them and unlock better clubs etc. I just want to play the game 1v1, be cool if those options were available from the start. The second complaint has to do with the cinematics after a shot, they come up evert time. The guy doing a fist pump, shaking his head or whatever.... You either have to wait about 10 seconds or the player in control has to click X. It's just annoying after a while, to quote my cousin waiting to take his shot.... "Click X or die..." :lol:

Last but not least I got NHL15, this by far is best game I have at least for 1v1. This may be greatest game I have ever played and that is saying something because I have been playing games since Atari 2600.

johnjoseph
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Other Heating: pellet stove, oil boiler

Post by johnjoseph » Tue. Mar. 22, 2016 7:46 pm

My teen sons have a PS4 with many of the games you mentioned plus more. I can't play games with them cause they hand my "Ass" to me every time. They play online with their friends which saves having a house full of teen boys! Have fun! :)

davidmcbeth3
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea/anthra

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Tue. Mar. 22, 2016 9:42 pm

I got a PS3 .. not getting PS4 due to $$$ for online play (I don't play too often ~ those 5 yrs olds on COD just kill ya w/i 5 seconds)

Richard S.
Mayor

Post by Richard S. » Tue. Mar. 22, 2016 9:54 pm

I won't be doing any online playing and won't even play the sports unless my cousin is here. Have to keep it fair or it won't be any fun.

Hockey and golf is like putting on an old shoe, I wasted many hours in my 20's on them and they are almost the same. I'll pick up on the Football in time, it's just much more complicated which is good thing in the long run.
davidmcbeth3 wrote:those 5 yrs olds on COD just kill ya w/i 5 seconds)
I'm no newbie to first person shooter games, just need a keyboard and mouse to be effective. I don;t see how that stick could ever be as good as a mouse.

Richard S.
Mayor

Post by Richard S. » Wed. Mar. 23, 2016 11:10 am

Richard S. wrote: I have not really looked into it but it would be really nice if two players could just create their own fantasy team with historic players and just go at it without having to go through all the bullshit. If anyone has any insight on how to do this easily then let me know.
I have this half solved, I downloaded a community roster file called Madden Greats which adds some of the greatest players to the team you have. For example Reggie White, Jerome Brown, and Akers for Philly among some others and they show up in two player exhibition game.

I also figured out how to do draft in franchise mode, if I can just figure out how to do two team draft from all these players I'll be in business. That doesn't look possible so I may have to do it manually.... Save the file and bam.... 1v1 with the greatest players.

If anybody has any directions how to do this other way let me know.

Richard S.
Mayor

Post by Richard S. » Wed. Jun. 07, 2017 11:05 pm

Soo.... about 6 months ago my cousin and I were playing golf, he comes over about once a week. We were having a smoke outside after the ninth hole and I said lets just go play hockey. Haven't stopped playing hockey since This is the best game I have ever played at least as far as 1v1 goes sitting on the couch.

Best goal so far.... it doinked off my goal bounced off the head of the guy I had coming in putting it into my own goal. Sucks to be me but it was hilarious.

The physics are amazing and attention to detail is also amazing, the Gatorade bottle the goalie keeps on the goal for example can get knocked off by a puck.

We use the all star teams and play for money to keep it interesting, nothing crazy. Buck a point, $5 for shut out except overtime, $5 for each consecutive overtime(we do continuous overtime), $10 for 10 point lead and game instantly is over. Everything is stacked. It goes back and forth and payout occurs when it reaches $65 payable only in beer. :D

Footlball could be really cool but it's just too complicated for both of us to learn only playing once a week. I don't play those games unless my Cousin is here to keep things competitive. If I were 20 again palting 2 or 3 times a week it would of been great. Golf was fun for while but it got to the point it just felt like you were going through the motions and felt like a job.

snuffy
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman SF250 & Mark III backup
Other Heating: Oil Hot Water

Post by snuffy » Fri. Jun. 09, 2017 7:28 pm

I'd like to find a 1980's Asteroid "machine." Quarter after quarter, hour after hour, spinning and fishtailing in outer space circling asteroids taking out all the dust. Maybe I should go out for a drive now!

Richard S.
Mayor

Post by Richard S. » Fri. Jun. 09, 2017 7:39 pm

You can play Asteroids with M.A.M.E but you really need a controller, you can use PS3 and Xbox controllers on a PC if you have them

M.A.M.E is an emulator that faithfully emulates the game including inserting a coin.... you donlt actually need a coin but have to hit a button to emulate it. It supports thousands of arcade games including Asteroids.

http://mamedev.org/

snuffy
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman SF250 & Mark III backup
Other Heating: Oil Hot Water

Post by snuffy » Sat. Jun. 10, 2017 8:08 pm

Thanks Richard. I'll spend my silver quarters and not have remorse.

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Sat. Jun. 10, 2017 8:19 pm

snuffy wrote:Thanks Richard. I'll spend my silver quarters and not have remorse.
I wasted a lot of money on asteroids myself! Its still my fav vintage game. If you happen upon an old 1980's Atari, theres an asteroids game thats awful close to the same. I can look up the exact model if you are interested. When I sold my atari back when they were bringing $100 on ebay, I kept my atari game :D The game cartridge isnt worth much, the console is, but probably $30-50 now, maybe less.

If you want the original, you'll have to watch on various auction sites but I imagine they show up. Its not going to be cheap.

Richard S.
Mayor

Post by Richard S. » Sat. Jun. 10, 2017 8:25 pm

You can play Atari with Stella.... Keep in mind both Stella and M.A.M.E are not reproductions. They are emulations of the original game. they take the software from the original game and then emulate the hardware so it can be played.

Richard S.
Mayor

Post by Richard S. » Sun. Jan. 21, 2018 8:42 pm

So.... Hockey was getting a little boring. Probably played at least 1000 games over the past few years. We are going to mix it up a little and do our own draft to create are own all star teams.

In the meantime I found this gem hiding among the cheap fire games.

Yep, that's a remake of the original Gauntlet. Really good game for two or more people to play.

Richard S.
Mayor

Post by Richard S. » Sun. Jul. 01, 2018 9:31 pm

The first of the latest two games I bought is Skyrim. Played two of the others on PC in the past. This is not a new game and doesn't take full advantage of the PS4's capabilities.

The other one is by far the most visually stunning game I have ever played, Gran Turismo. I Spent a lot of time playing earlier versions and have always been a fan of racing games going back to games like Need for Speed on the C64 and of course night driver on Atari. I played Test Drive and Pitstop so much on the C64 the Atari joystick was permanently bent forward.

This is a real racetrack in Germany called Nürburgring, if you are from PA think of ripping along a narrow country road, it's literally just like that. Jump to the 2:30 mark for the start of those sections. total track length is 13 miles, that is not a typo.

The picture displayed here is actually taken in game.

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Sun. Jul. 01, 2018 10:51 pm

Or you take a ride on the real thing...
Gotta love the Germans and their racetracks...
http://nurburgring.org.uk/ring-taxi.php

The driver...

My favorite clip nice perspective...

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW), ComfortMax 75

Post by lsayre » Mon. Jul. 02, 2018 9:06 am

That racing game is awesome!

Return to “Technology”