SSD's

Freddy
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Post by Freddy » Mon. Feb. 10, 2014 5:29 am

rberq wrote:what was the step-by-step process to "replace" the old hard drive with the SSD?
It came with software to clone it through a USB port. I did have to borrow a "USB to hard drive" connecting cable. So the procedure was: Hook new SSD to a USB port. Put in the software CD & follow instructions. After it's done cloning, shut down, unplug, remove old hard drive, put in SSD, plug back in. It took a while to clone....maybe over an hour? I just went away and when I came back a few hours later it was done.

One other thing.... I did buy a plastic "holder" to put the SSD into so it will fit into the old hard drove bay. That was $3 delivered from eBay.

Oh yes, treat it like any hard drive.... back stuff up as usual.

davidmcbeth3
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea/anthra

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Mon. Feb. 10, 2014 5:34 am

Freddy wrote:Solid State hard Drives! For Christmas I got two Samsung 120 Gig solid state hard drives. One for my work computer & one for this one. They replace the hard drive with the spinning platter & WOW! What a difference! They are much, much faster. This computer is full of junk. It takes forever to open.... I'm talking between 9 and ten minutes. It has a weather program that opens with it & that slows things up too. So, today my computer buddy & I got around to installing them. This computer now opens in less than 2 minutes. My shop computer used to take 5 to 6 minutes to open it now opens in 59 seconds. Heeeheee! Just thought I'd mention it in case someone is dreaming of more speed & less money LOL. On top of opening faster, when you ask it do process anything, it is Johnny on the spot. In my CNC program when you ask it to "calculate" a large file instead of taking 30 seconds it does it so fast it's hard to believe.
You must have gotten Jen's old PC...

Return to “Technology”