Sometimes I Want to Throw My Computer Out Window

jpete
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mk II
Coal Size/Type: Stove, Nut, Pea
Other Heating: Dino juice

Post by jpete » Sat. Sep. 21, 2013 12:20 pm

I often want to throw Windows out of my computer. :)

DePippo79
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Oak 40, Stanley Argand No. 30, Glenwood Modern Oak 114, Stanley Argand No. 20 missing parts.
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite. Stove and nut size.
Other Heating: Oil hot water.

Post by DePippo79 » Sat. Sep. 21, 2013 8:20 pm

Yep, two minutes ago wanted to open a news article on my home page and IE wouldn't open it. Had to close and use Firefox.

DieselBob

Post by DieselBob » Sat. Sep. 21, 2013 11:30 pm

Not to sound like a a## but is there a reason you keep trying to deal with IE. I gave up on that years ago when it was integrated into windows instead of being a separate software package. I also think some of the issue is vista. The wife had it on her old laptop and it seemed to take forever to do somethings like searches and launching some applications. I bought her a new laptop with Win7 and it is light years faster doing everything including start up and shutdown compared to vista. Myself I went to a dual operating system of Linux / WinXP_Pro on a old IBM Thinkpad with only a Intel(R) CPU T2400 @ 1.83GHz and 2.0 GB of memory. I use Linux 98% of the time and WinXP_Pro the other 2% of the time for applications I haven't been able to get to run on Wine.

DePippo79
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Oak 40, Stanley Argand No. 30, Glenwood Modern Oak 114, Stanley Argand No. 20 missing parts.
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite. Stove and nut size.
Other Heating: Oil hot water.

Post by DePippo79 » Sun. Sep. 22, 2013 6:39 pm

No, just habit I guess. Sucker for punishment I guess. It could probably be my firewall or antivirus protecting it. Like I said very computer illiterate. Richard(mayor) never had any problems with this site.

Horace
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman ST8-VF8 / Frankenstove

Post by Horace » Sat. Sep. 28, 2013 9:07 pm

DieselBob wrote:I use Linux 98% of the time and WinXP_Pro the other 2% of the time for applications I haven't been able to get to run on Wine.
Can you run those applications in Virtualbox? I run Linux Mint 15 and use VirtualBox to run WinXP for the few applications for which I have not found a Linux/open source replacement. It's a lot faster and easier than dual-booting since it runs under Linux. The only problem that you might run into is lack of memory. You have to allocate some of your memory to VB that Linux will then not have access to.

If the other 2% is running games, then keep doing what you're doing.

Return to “Technology”