Almost Ready to Cut the Cord

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Fri. Aug. 03, 2018 10:39 am

Lee, Don't neglect to provide grounding/bonding of mast and of coax entry.

grounding ota antenna

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Fri. Aug. 03, 2018 2:33 pm

My parents and brother will soon have a lot more streaming options. Previously they could only get DSL internet, which was marginal for most streaming applications. Our local phone company has run a fiber optic cable down their road, and offers a very fast internet package for a reasonable price.

My brother has been sick of the slow internet for a while, so he offered to dig the trench if dad bought the conduit. Phone company told dad that black plastic water line was fine, so I think dad got the better half of the deal.

Started at 7am, just finished the 1200' trench. Sucked a pull line through with a Shop Vac.

Attachments

IMG_1350.jpg
.JPG | 470.4KB | IMG_1350.jpg
IMG_1349_01.jpg
.JPG | 494.7KB | IMG_1349_01.jpg
IMG_1351.jpg
.JPG | 535.1KB | IMG_1351.jpg

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Fri. Aug. 03, 2018 3:36 pm

Rob, unfortunately, I'm thinkin we all know they start with a real reasonable price. I hope it works out well for you guys.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Fri. Aug. 03, 2018 4:09 pm

I agree Fred. The fiber service is through the same company they have been using for the last 30 years. Pricing has been relatively flat, so I hope this follows suit.

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Fri. Aug. 03, 2018 7:00 pm

Update - I put on my tin foil hat and recruited my daughter to be the "antenna operator". Basically, I moved it around the yard and had her hold it still while I did channel scans. I couldn't find a signal hot spot. It turns out that the best place for the antenna was where I originally placed it lol. Except for a spot on the roof, it's the only place I saw as high as a 43-44 signal quality, with the signal amp tied in. I still have more testing to do from the roof top and more research to do on TV Fool forums.

Interestingly enough, I pitched the antenna 90 degrees (pointing NEE) and picked up 4 more channels. WPSU (Penn State) with three sub channels which is actually directly south of here. It must be bouncing off a hill somewhere. I can't get both towers at the same time (CBS - WIVB to the NNW and WPSU to the south but antenna pointing NEE)

8 channels so far.
It's not over yet.

I'm curious what will happen once the trees lose their leaves.

Lightning
Site Moderator

Post by Lightning » Fri. Aug. 03, 2018 7:09 pm

Another noteworthy thing. While I'm doing channels scans, I notice the scan hang up several seconds right where those channels would be, that it just won't bring in. I know the signal is here. It's just getting enough of it is the issue.

My wife is wondering if I'm getting a little fanatical about it hahaha.

snuffy
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman SF250 & Mark III backup
Other Heating: Oil Hot Water

Post by snuffy » Fri. Aug. 03, 2018 8:11 pm

Lightning,
Keep in mind you are searching for a conventually measured signal ranging from 25.11" down to 2.5" depending on antenna size and broadcaster assigned frequency according to wxtofly.net/wavecalc

Grumpy,
I didn't save the article only the date on my calendar as we'll have about 50+ receivers to reprogram. Not sure if you'll be able access a site called BCAP. It appeared about mid July.

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Fri. Aug. 03, 2018 8:20 pm

Lightning wrote:
Fri. Aug. 03, 2018 7:00 pm
Update - I put on my tin foil hat and recruited my daughter to be the "antenna operator". Basically, I moved it around the yard and had her hold it still while I did channel scans. I couldn't find a signal hot spot. It turns out that the best place for the antenna was where I originally placed it lol. Except for a spot on the roof, it's the only place I saw as high as a 43-44 signal quality, with the signal amp tied in. I still have more testing to do from the roof top and more research to do on TV Fool forums.

Interestingly enough, I pitched the antenna 90 degrees (pointing NEE) and picked up 4 more channels. WPSU (Penn State) with three sub channels which is actually directly south of here. It must be bouncing off a hill somewhere. I can't get both towers at the same time (CBS - WIVB to the NNW and WPSU to the south but antenna pointing NEE)

8 channels so far.
It's not over yet.

I'm curious what will happen once the trees lose their leaves.
Your daughter needed a tin hat too! :lol:

I saw your early morning post and it was calm and foggy here, when I can pick up the most. So I rescanned and had channels from wassau Wisconsin, close to 200 miles. I lose them as soon as there is a breeze or fog lifts. Thats how it works. Ive had Green Bay before but lose it in an hour. Guess what Im saying is foggy and calm will "probably" bring in the most stations in a scan. Im in an optimum location though.

Dont feel bad if it never works better as you already have gained a couple good stations. I see a TV antenna tower in your future.... ;)

grumpy

Post by grumpy » Fri. Aug. 03, 2018 8:31 pm

Grumpy,
I didn't save the article only the date on my calendar as we'll have about 50+ receivers to reprogram. Not sure if you'll be able access a site called BCAP. It appeared about mid July.
I searched, nothing about TV..

Lightning
Site Moderator

Post by Lightning » Fri. Aug. 03, 2018 8:33 pm

Actually, I was just looking up roof mounts. I'm interested in using a tripod roof mount and adding a 10 foot 1.5 inch diameter metal electrical conduit for a mast. That'll put it at 35 feet.

Also, researching combining two of these antennas to increase gain. So far I've learned that they must be side by side and roughly three feet apart so that the signal wave doesn't come in out of phase and cancel each other out. Also must use same length coax to join them for the same reason. Neato stuff.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Fri. Aug. 03, 2018 9:22 pm

I don't know Lee, I bought a radio shack outside antenna--put it up maybe 8' above roof peak, got 12 channels--3 locals included they are out of Binghamton-if I turn it 180* I get 14 channels out of Syracuse--I'm afraid I gotta run with your wifes thinkin!! No remote turner so I stick with Binghamton stations. LOL

grumpy

Post by grumpy » Fri. Aug. 03, 2018 9:36 pm

Also, researching combining two of these antennas to increase gain. So far I've learned that they must be side by side and roughly three feet apart so that the signal wave doesn't come in out of phase and cancel each other out. Also must use same length coax to join them for the same reason. Neato stuff.
This can be very difficult to achieve.. Not sure about the side by side, first what POL are you looking at vertical, horizontal, circular ? well I would rule the last out, and I do not keep up on this stuff but It could be one or the other or both in the market your trying to get..

My experience is broadcasting to satellites and receiving from them, wish I could help more..

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Fri. Aug. 03, 2018 10:18 pm

here is your altitude adjustment...

Lightning
Site Moderator

Post by Lightning » Sun. Aug. 05, 2018 9:41 am

I went to nocable.org and got a report with my proper address. How is it that I can get WPSU which is indicated by the red dot (meaning difficult) and WIVB indicated with a green dot (meaning easy) but not the ones in between. I must be missing something.

I suspect that there is a multi path issue meaning the signal is being reflected and arriving at the antenna at different times which is confusing the decoder.

Still learning, but I have a feeling this can be solved, somehow. Like I mentioned earlier, I can see the channel scan hang up for a few seconds right where it's trying to bring in those other towers.

Attachments

Screenshot_20180805-093415.png
.PNG | 400KB | Screenshot_20180805-093415.png

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Sun. Aug. 05, 2018 10:09 am

I get channels that Im not supposed to and dont get ones I should. It can be many things.

Example: There is a station my Dad should get but cant and there is a cell phone tower (or radio tower, I dont know which) right in the path a few miles from him and I assume thats why. Your problem could be similar or something different, or no reason at all. Different electrical things can interfere too.

One station I get I can see the tower out my window with binocs. Its about 5 miles away. That is one station I lose easily. Some things just dont make sense and never will.

Return to “Technology”