Almost Ready to Cut the Cord

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Wed. Jan. 29, 2020 3:53 pm

True Rob, the 100 MBPS would surely be enough I think..

Lightning
Site Moderator

Post by Lightning » Wed. Jan. 29, 2020 3:59 pm

Current speed test with the Apple TV
Its probably fast enough for 4 families all at the same time :lol:

Attachments

20200129_155743.jpg
.JPG | 250.3KB | 20200129_155743.jpg

Lightning
Site Moderator

Post by Lightning » Wed. Jan. 29, 2020 4:04 pm

Meanwhile back at the ranch, I also ran a 200 ft ethernet cable to the salon on it's own router down there. All the clients can jump on the wifi if they wanna and I can stream music videos on the music studio side.

But yeah, this is happening.. Spectrum is getting all their equipment back and we're only gonna use the high speed internet..

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Wed. Jan. 29, 2020 4:13 pm

Lightning wrote:
Wed. Jan. 29, 2020 3:51 pm
I get what yer saying Paul :) we were suppressed for so long with lousy internet that when Spectrum showed up, I said gimme the fastest one, I dont care :lol:
I was the same way with my old internet provider. Every time there was a storm coming from Ithaca our internet went out. Then, even when it was working it got slower and slower each year as more people signed up and used up bandwidth. :x

But when Spectrum was taking over, I compared prices and also checked around and found out that things work fine with just a fraction of those high speeds they are always trying to sell....... :roll:

Paul

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Wed. Jan. 29, 2020 5:03 pm

Lightning wrote:
Wed. Jan. 29, 2020 4:04 pm
Meanwhile back at the ranch, I also ran a 200 ft ethernet cable to the salon on it's own router down there. All the clients can jump on the wifi if they wanna and I can stream music videos on the music studio side.

But yeah, this is happening.. Spectrum is getting all their equipment back and we're only gonna use the high speed internet..
I am unsure I would want customers (or anyone for that matter) on my wifi. Now Im not real techy but thats your home internet and if they do anything shady.... its your IP address. Most people have smartphones now and dont need your wifi anyway so its not worth the risk.

Streaming is really where its at now for shows and movies other than free over air tv. A lot of free channels are getting moved to other frequencies in the coming months and for a year or two so you may get more channels, or possibly lose them too, I guess. Its when they go from VHF to UHF or visa versa that can change it. And then the 3.0 crap after that. You'll need a new converter box in the coming years too... always something.

Lightning
Site Moderator

Post by Lightning » Wed. Jan. 29, 2020 6:05 pm

warminmn wrote:
Wed. Jan. 29, 2020 5:03 pm
I am unsure I would want customers (or anyone for that matter) on my wifi. Now Im not real techy but thats your home internet and if they do anything shady.... its your IP address. Most people have smartphones now and dont need your wifi anyway so its not worth the risk.
I appreciate the concern but I don't think it'll be a problem. Our cell tower service barely works here so it's a bonus for the sauna clients to have a wifi connection.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Wed. Jan. 29, 2020 7:01 pm

I would have the salon setup as a guest network - that way they can't access anything you have shared/visible on the main network.

As for someone doing something illegal via your WiFi, I think that is pretty low risk.

Lightning
Site Moderator

Post by Lightning » Wed. Jan. 29, 2020 8:21 pm

I'll have to explore the guest network setup, I'm not familiar with how to do it. But that is a good idea, thank you.

Meanwhile, tonight I put our log ons on the Apple TV module for Netflix, Amazon Prime video and CBS All Access. We have a "borrowed" log on for Hulu. Just watched a really good movie on Amazon Prime Video. I added several apps like Cartoon Network and Boomerang for the kids and the Science Channel Go among other learning and discovery channels. My wife gets a free 1 year of Apple TV+ with the iPad she bought for her business. I cant imagine us needing anything else.

The picture quality seems to be HiDef. I think this is gonna be great. Later on I can add Roku boxes for the Kids' rooms. Quite honestly I think we'll get more out of our TV than with the cable subscription.

I thought I would miss DVR capability but everything seems to be on demand so no need to record anything.

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Wed. Jan. 29, 2020 8:34 pm

I probably used the wrong word with illegal and I didnt elaborate near enough... Here is an example of what I know has happened in past years on ebay as a single example. If you are a buyer or seller on ebay and you let someone sign in on your IP address, that persons account is tied to yours forever. Down the line, that person doesnt pay for a bunch of stuff and is kicked off ebay, then you (the one who let him sign in) can no longer sell on there, and possibly not buy, as they dont take risks and can spare members. They swept the place almost clean about a dozen years ago because so many people had numerous accounts under different names, used friends accounts etc. I personally know innocent people this happened too that lost their online stores this way. It is still done from what Ive read on their forums but not on as large a scale. I am sure other websites do the same thing. I just dont consider it worth the risk myself to let customers use a home network for really no needed benefit. They can have human contact and talk to each other instead, like people should do, instead of being on their facebook page. And thats my opinion and Im sticking to it ;)

Perhaps doing what Rob has been mentioned free's you from these things, I have no idea.

There are so many apps on my roku box, I love it. Lots of free ones with movies. Even the PBS channel has lots of interesting stuff. I have never used the apple one. I have a theater set up here and watch a lot of stuff with it.

Lightning
Site Moderator

Post by Lightning » Mon. Feb. 03, 2020 5:42 pm

Part of working my Spectrum bill down is replacing the equipment that they "rent" to you at a monthly rate. I bought the modem below, and after getting on the phone with Spectrum to activate the new modem I performed a speed test. Amazingly enough, this modem seems to outperform the rental modem.

I bought a separate WIFI Netgear router also.

Attachments

Screenshot_20200203-173640_eBay.jpg
.JPG | 102.3KB | Screenshot_20200203-173640_eBay.jpg
20200203_172958.jpg
.JPG | 197.3KB | 20200203_172958.jpg

Rob R.
Site Moderator

Post by Rob R. » Wed. Feb. 12, 2020 9:48 am

Nice Lee. I bought my own modem about 5 years ago (Zoom brand) and it has worked flawlessly. I have two different routers, although the second one is only used as a wireless access point. My main one is a Linksys WRT1900ACS, and I run DD-WRT firmware on it.
warminmn wrote:
Wed. Jan. 29, 2020 8:34 pm
I probably used the wrong word with illegal and I didnt elaborate near enough... Here is an example of what I know has happened in past years on ebay as a single example. If you are a buyer or seller on ebay and you let someone sign in on your IP address, that persons account is tied to yours forever. Down the line, that person doesnt pay for a bunch of stuff and is kicked off ebay, then you (the one who let him sign in) can no longer sell on there, and possibly not buy, as they dont take risks and can spare members. They swept the place almost clean about a dozen years ago because so many people had numerous accounts under different names, used friends accounts etc. I personally know innocent people this happened too that lost their online stores this way. It is still done from what Ive read on their forums but not on as large a scale. I am sure other websites do the same thing. I just dont consider it worth the risk myself to let customers use a home network for really no needed benefit. They can have human contact and talk to each other instead, like people should do, instead of being on their facebook page. And thats my opinion and Im sticking to it ;)

Perhaps doing what Rob has been mentioned free's you from these things, I have no idea.
The guest network I described above would not prevent the situation you described. In order to avoid that, you need a separate IP address from your ISP for the second network. Many of them will issue you a second IP address for a small monthly fee. You would have the cable modem, then a network switch, and then the two routers.

Lightning
Site Moderator

Post by Lightning » Wed. Feb. 12, 2020 6:03 pm

I did see a tab for "guest network" while configuring the salon router. I'll have ta learn how to set it up :)

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Wed. Feb. 12, 2020 10:18 pm

The guest tab will give you the ability...
If properly setup...
to isolate the guest network from your family network...
They could not, for the most part, be able to backdoor their way in to see your computers...
Or print 'neked pictures on your home printer...
It will not though give the guest network a different public ip address for the guests...

wilder11354
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman SF260 Boiler
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Coal Size/Type: nut or pea, anthracite
Other Heating: crown oil boiler, backup.if needed

Post by wilder11354 » Thu. Jan. 28, 2021 2:03 pm

So i am working on cutting cable TV from Spectrum, right now i am test driving a Roku device. Activating it automatically installed 7 premium channels that will switch to payable services. I unsubscribed from them immediately and am trying complete free streaming channels. Good 1080P picture, sound bar works thru optical connection. Had to back in TV setting to disable its speaker and back to sound bar for Roku port.

Rob R.
Site Moderator

Post by Rob R. » Thu. Jan. 28, 2021 2:15 pm

Pluto TV, The Roku Channel, and Tubi are three good ones that are free.

Return to “Technology”