Gopro Cameras

tsb
Stoker Coal Boiler: Binford 2000
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL Pioneer top vent
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Saey Hanover II
Baseburners & Antiques: Grander Golden Oak , Glenwood # 6
Coal Size/Type: All of them

Post by tsb » Sat. Feb. 09, 2013 3:28 pm

Anybody have any experience with the GoPro video cameras.
There are some twisties on the way to Cherry Springs that I
would like to film on the scooter this summer.

Flyer5
Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure Line WL110
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line Pioneer

Post by Flyer5 » Sat. Feb. 09, 2013 5:51 pm

tsb wrote:Anybody have any experience with the GoPro video cameras.
There are some twisties on the way to Cherry Springs that I
would like to film on the scooter this summer.
They look neat. I was looking at them at cabellas last week. No experience but a lot of shots on u tube using them.

SMITTY
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520 Highboy
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler

Post by SMITTY » Sat. Feb. 09, 2013 6:59 pm

My buddy bought one a couple years back. We had a hell of a time trying to get the video to the computer. Computers ain't our thing. :lol:

It did take some good video though. He mounted it facing rearward on his bike. Problem was you could never tell when it was on or off. He'd hit the button thinking he turned it on, then I'd tail him on my RD at over 100 mph through residential neighborhoods causing all kinds of mayhem for the vid, then find out it wasn't even on. Then, we'd get back and find we taped the dismount of the camera and the walk into his house! :lol: I hate electronics ....

He ended up selling both his bikes last year for a '12 Camaro. I assume the cam system went with it.

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Sat. Feb. 09, 2013 8:53 pm

SMITTY wrote:My buddy bought one a couple years back. We had a hell of a time trying to get the video to the computer. Computers ain't our thing. :lol:
It's a standard video and stored on flash. Shoudn't be be any issues with getting it to the computer, for cameras or anything like this I never install anything from the manufacturer unless necessary. Plug it in and turn it on, let windows automatically install the driver. You should be able to go into my computer and see the camera/cam. Browse for the files and copy them to your HDD just like moving any files around.

playing it is only small issue if you have XP or an version of Vista that hasn't been updated.

oros35
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Cozeburn OWB burning Bit
Baseburners & Antiques: 1912 Smith & Anthony Hub Heater #215

Post by oros35 » Mon. Feb. 11, 2013 12:10 pm

I have one. For the price they are awesome! Very good quality, lots of options, best out there for motorsports or any kind of action sports in my opinion.

Any video editing can be challenging if your not experienced at it. The Ceneform studio software that is the gopro software is ok, I'm not that impressed with it, but it gets the job done. I'd like to find some better editing software, but most I've seen are not cheap.

I did about 30 days of time-lapse video with my gopro. That was the purpose of me buying it. I had a 30gig SD card and swapped it out about every 6 days. The batteries last about 2 1/2 hours, or you can plug it in to the wall with a usb adapter. Editing was challenging, but eventually I got it to work.

I also got the wifi backpack and tether it via wifi to my smart phone. It's amazing how well that works. I have the Hero2, where you have to buy the wifi seperate. I think the new Hero3 has it built in.

I plan to buy another one this summer. That way when I go autocross racing, I can have one inside the car, and one outside. With the Wifi, and my smart phone, I can hit record on the phone screen, and have multiple cameras turn on with one button.
It's truely amazing how much you can do with these cameras!!!

Richard S.
Mayor

Post by Richard S. » Mon. Feb. 11, 2013 12:34 pm

oros35 wrote: I'd like to find some better editing software, but most I've seen are not cheap.

This isn't professional stuff but Video Studio should be all you need. Little bit of history, these applications were originally made by Ulead which was bought out by Corel. Ulead had professional video software including DVD Workshop which was considered the second best DVD authoring application available. The only better one was Sceneartist and used by Hollywood but that cost thousands... In any event Corel dropped the professional applications and folded a lot of the professional features into these consumer applications.

Video Studio:
http://www.corel.com/corel/product/index.jsp?pid=prod4650075

Or they have Movie Factory:
http://www.corel.com/corel/product/index.jsp?pid=prod3430136

Both will get you from camera to disc. Video Studio focuses on editing features and minor disc authoring (menus etc.) features. Movie Factory is the opposite focusing on disc authoring and minor editing features.

There is a 30 day trial for both.

SMITTY
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520 Highboy
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler

Post by SMITTY » Mon. Feb. 11, 2013 12:50 pm

He was trying to email the vid to me so I could post it here on the forum. He tried & gave up. Guess it was just too big to send.

My computer, when I first got it, used to automatically pop a window whenever I plugged in a camera, etc. Now I have to go and LOOK for the damn camera in My Computer. :roll: I'd update the system, but there's some bullshit that keeps blocking it. Get one of those 0800x00 whatever codes. All the solutions to the problem on the net DON'T WORK on my computer .... of course. :roll: :x

Been like this since day one. Then one day the computer froze up and gave me a blue screen. When I restarted, it asked me if I wanted to revert back to a previous time (time travel! :lol:). Fearing the computer would be hopelessly f'ed if I didn't, I chose to revert. Then I was suddenly able to update Windows for a brief period, until the code returned later on. Ended up with a bunch of strange quirks that I just learned to deal with. Now I don't bother. If I can get online, that's good enough for me. If not, this computer will go in the 'THOUSAND DOLLAR PILE" with the rest of them. What a joke these things are. They've got you bent right over a barrel ... :mad:

Richard S.
Mayor

Post by Richard S. » Mon. Feb. 11, 2013 2:39 pm

SMITTY wrote:He was trying to email the vid to me so I could post it here on the forum. He tried & gave up. Guess it was just too big to send.
Most ISP's limit attachments on emails from 2 to 10MB. Any video of any length is going to be much larger than that unless you drastically reduce the bitrate and some other tricks.
My computer, when I first got it, used to automatically pop a window whenever I plugged in a camera, etc. Now I have to go and LOOK for the damn camera in My Computer. :roll:
In XP right click on the camera Icon/drive letter in My Computer and select properties. Under the auto play tab you can select what options you want.
I'd update the system, but there's some bullshit that keeps blocking it. Get one of those 0800x00 whatever codes.
If you have been running the same install for years the best thing to do is clean install. Start a new topic. ;)

tsb

Post by tsb » Mon. Feb. 11, 2013 5:07 pm

Thanks for the replies. I don't need the camera until
this summer so I'll poke around a little more.
The time lapse feature does spark my interest.

titleist1

Post by titleist1 » Mon. Dec. 02, 2013 11:03 am

anyone with new gopro experience to add to this thread?

I am thinking about getting one for the kid (which means I get to use it too!) for Christmas. It would be used for bike riding and skiing, probably hiking as well.

tsb

Post by tsb » Mon. Dec. 02, 2013 11:49 am

I did by one and use the time lapse feature.
The lens is very wide angle so you get a lot of
distortion that needs to be cropped out.
It's got a pretty sharp learning curve, but almost
indestructible.

oros35
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Cozeburn OWB burning Bit
Baseburners & Antiques: 1912 Smith & Anthony Hub Heater #215

Post by oros35 » Mon. Dec. 02, 2013 1:16 pm

tsb wrote:The lens is very wide angle so you get a lot of
distortion that needs to be cropped out.
It's got a pretty sharp learning curve, but almost
indestructible.
You can adjust the angle, 3 settings, wide, mid, and narrow.
You really need to dig into the settings to get the most out of it.

Use the wi-fi tether so you can see your image live on a screen, then adjust accordingly. When it's ready hit record.

I used mine in a Demolishion Derby this summer, Caught some pretty wild smash-em-up action!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tsm-0KykN_A&featu ... ata_player
Last edited by oros35 on Mon. Dec. 02, 2013 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tsb

Post by tsb » Mon. Dec. 02, 2013 1:23 pm

Even on the narrow setting the edge is distorted on photos.
This is a good thing because I set the camera too close to
a railroad photo shoot and it got hit by the train. It biffed
the lens on the bottom edge, but it's so wide angle you don't
see it in the photos.

Qball
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker Koker
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by Qball » Mon. Dec. 02, 2013 4:28 pm

Here's a couple of videos. One shot mounted to windshield the other from the saddlebag.

rubicondave33
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM DF520
Coal Size/Type: Rice/Anthracite

Post by rubicondave33 » Mon. Dec. 02, 2013 4:36 pm

I have one, a Hero 3. The 3+ came out about 2 months after I got mine. Previously, I used an Epic Stealth Cam. The GoPro camera is great! I do suggest getting extra batteries and a car charger, the battery life isn't so good. Mine is mounted on the roll cage in my Jeep, and I use it while mountain biking too. The video quality is fantastic, audio too!

Return to “Technology”