Comcast Cable Costs

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Thu. Sep. 27, 2012 11:31 am

Well my deal ran out this month, total bill was going to be $188 :mad: . It started out at $119 3 years ago.

I have the triple play with "HD proffered" that comes with Starz, HD channels, phone and internet.

I called and complained and they offered me a package with HBO and a faster internet for $139 which I took and that's good for one year. She said if that wasn't good enough she could transfer me to customer rep, the implication I got was they would reduce it to the $119 for the same package but I kind of liked the idea of faster connection and HBO.

Once this is up I'm not sure what's next but I did see someone mention on another forum they had successfully downgraded their service into the starter service for $119 which is what I will try. :)

If that doesn't work I'll dump the phone and the cable TV altogether and go with a dish and some other VOIP service. I have to keep the cable internet no matter what for obvious reasons, DSL isn't going to cut it.

FYI if you're paying for the VOIP modem I inquired about it, in the past they required a Comcast rented modem the VOIP but she informed me this isn't the case. They must of changed their policy. That's another $7 a month. Could of bought 4 of them by now the bastards.

EarthWindandFire
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Leisure Line Lil' Heater.
Other Heating: Oil Furnace and Kerosene Heaters.

Post by EarthWindandFire » Thu. Sep. 27, 2012 7:28 pm

We recently switched from DISH to AT&T U-verse. The channels and picture quality are much better now. We also have a 2nd generation Apple TV device and plan on selling it and getting the 3rd gen which allows true 1080p video streaming.

SuperBeetle
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark II
Coal Size/Type: Pea, Nut, & Stove Anthracite

Post by SuperBeetle » Thu. Sep. 27, 2012 8:16 pm

We have Comcast basic cable but actually get more channels than they told us we would get. $23.20 per month with tax. No landline telephone and DSL internet, which is plenty for our needs.

Richard S.
Mayor

Post by Richard S. » Thu. Sep. 27, 2012 11:40 pm

EarthWindandFire wrote:We recently switched from DISH to AT&T U-verse. The channels and picture quality are much better now.
If I had an option for another company I'd switch in a second because I'd be able to take advantage of the lower starter package. Realistically the only option where I'm at is Comcast. For TV they are the only option other than satellite. For the internet I'd only have a choice of DSL and that's just not going to cut it for my needs.
We also have a 2nd generation Apple TV device and plan on selling it and getting the 3rd gen which allows true 1080p video streaming.
One thing you have to watch about that the "HD" offerings from the sites like Netflix aren't really HD, even the HD channels on Comcast are pretty poor compared to high bitrate video. The resolutions may be the same as HD but the artifacting is considerable. You won't notice this as much on small device but you will on a larger one.

ONEDOLLAR
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 2014 Chubby Prototype
Coal Size/Type: Nut/Anthracite

Post by ONEDOLLAR » Fri. Sep. 28, 2012 6:59 am

Richard

I can't complain about Comquacks "HD" offerings. The quality is just as good as any I have seen. Though I am sure it depends on what area one lives in as well.

I can complain about the cost and general crappy service they offer. Like many we are stuck with Comquack. No DSL or FIOS in the area and the tree cover and landscape will not allow for any "Dish" type service. With the virtual monopoly Comquack errr Comcast has there is no reason for them to do anything other than the bare minimum. For 2 years the "preview guide" didn't work properly. Making it kind of hard to see what was on TV. It took me tracking down one the Comquacks Gucci Shoed VP's Cell phone number to get the company off its a$$ to get the problem fixed. Needless to say he wasn't pleased that I called him. Of course I told him "I wouldn't have to call him if his employees would do their job but I would be happy to call him anytime I felt I saw the slighest bit of fuzz on TV, heard any noise on the phone or felt a drop in internet speed."

He got the problem solved post haste.

Richard S.
Mayor

Post by Richard S. » Fri. Sep. 28, 2012 10:25 am

ONEDOLLAR wrote:Richard

I can't complain about Comquacks "HD" offerings. The quality is just as good as any I have seen. Though I am sure it depends on what area one lives in as well.
It's adequate, I'm just pointing out it's not exactly as good as Blu-Ray. I have to be pretty close to a large HD TV to see the artifacting.
general crappy service they offer.
Generally speaking I have no complaints about the service. When I call they have a English speaking person you can understand, outages are rare and things are resolved quickly from experience. Having said that the HBO hasn't
been activated yet and my internet speed isn't any faster yet.

ONEDOLLAR
Verified Business Rep.

Post by ONEDOLLAR » Fri. Sep. 28, 2012 10:39 am

Richard

I have a BR and while it is better than standard DVD I have to admit it wasn't as good as I had hoped for. I remember going from VHS to DVD and the differance was huge but the increase in quality from DVD to BR wasn't what I had hoped for. Perhaps I swallowed to much of the "hype" over BR and that led me to have higher expectations?

What I truely want is a CHOICE of providers for my Cable and Internet service. At the very least "A La Carte" choices in channels. To view 2 channels I want Comquack makes me buy another "tier" of service.

Richard S.
Mayor

Post by Richard S. » Fri. Sep. 28, 2012 10:51 am

The increase in resolution of VHS vs DVD and DVD vs Bluray is similar.

You should see a significant difference. You might not if it's smaller TV and you're sitting far away. Sure you have it hooked up right? HDMI or component cables etc?
What I truely want is a CHOICE of providers for my Cable and Internet service. At the very least "A La Carte" choices in channels. To view 2 channels I want Comquack makes me buy another "tier" of service.
That's kind of what is happening with the internet but if you start getting all your TV streaming over the intenet they still have the bandwidth cap.

ONEDOLLAR
Verified Business Rep.

Post by ONEDOLLAR » Fri. Sep. 28, 2012 11:09 am

Richard

Yeah everything is hooked up right. Gold HDMI into a 55 inch Samsung 1080P. There is a differance no question, just not what I had hoped for. :oops:

"A La Carte" would be nice but with Comcast buying NBC I am sure other Cable providers will be looking to grab a stake in other networks as well I don't see it happening. There are several cable channels that are out there that Comcast doesn't offer in any package around these parts. Cloo,Epix,ect and they don't offer TVLAND in HD either. (I assume TVLAND has an HD channel)

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Fri. Sep. 28, 2012 11:11 am

The biggest difference I have noticed with Blue Ray's is the increased length of the previews. :mad:

Black_And_Blue
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska 140

Post by Black_And_Blue » Fri. Sep. 28, 2012 11:16 am

internet only and using Wii for Netflix @ 7.99 a month :-)

Note : a recent news stories out there about Comcast and other cable companies losing over 400k subscribers .....

Richard S.
Mayor

Post by Richard S. » Fri. Sep. 28, 2012 11:42 am

ONEDOLLAR wrote: Yeah everything is hooked up right. Gold HDMI into a 55 inch Samsung 1080P.
HDMI is HDMI, it either works fully or fails. "Gold" connectors on analog may have made a difference but it's irrelevant for digital.

scalabro
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40, PP Stewart No. 14, Abendroth Bros "Record 40"
Coal Size/Type: Stove / Anthracite.
Other Heating: Oil fired, forced hot air.

Post by scalabro » Mon. Aug. 25, 2014 2:53 pm

An old thread to be sure, but wanted to post that as soon as my gateway gets here UPS, I'm going down to comcast 105 Mbps Internet only. No phone, no TV. I will save about $65 per month. Everything I want to watch is either on Netflix, or hulu. I bought my own gateway so no rental fees.

Boots
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Burnham SFB 101 (sold)

Post by Boots » Mon. Aug. 25, 2014 5:02 pm

I just recently "cut the cord". I have the fastest internet I can get where I am, 20 mbps down DSL. And am using a Roku 3 streaming player to watch Netflix, hulu plus (which I plan to cancel), and Amazon streaming. Next step I plan to install an aerial antenna to get all my local channels and long term, I plan to get a stand alone programmable DVR to record the shows we want to see on those local channels. As long as my DSL provider does not cap my usage I should be good. :)

rberq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1300 with hopper
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Anthracite Nut
Other Heating: Oil hot water radiators (fuel oil); propane

Post by rberq » Mon. Aug. 25, 2014 6:06 pm

Richard S. wrote:they offered me a package with HBO and a faster internet for $139 which I took and that's good for one year. She said if that wasn't good enough she could transfer me to customer rep, the implication I got was they would reduce it to the $119 for the same package
I have gone through that process for the last three years: my phone-and-DSL contract expires, price goes up, customer service can't do a thing about it until I say I will get rid of it all, then they connect me to a higher-up who offers to renew my contract for the same price.

As for cable, we have the plan where the wire runs on poles past the house but doesn't connect to us at all. :P Costs $0 per month. But cable is my fallback for Internet service if the phone company (Fairpoint) gets tough some year and won't renew at a reasonable price.

Bottom line is, where there is no competition there will be monopolistic or extortionate pricing. It's time for some new "disruptive" technology to knock these bastards on their asses, but what will that be? :?: :?:

Return to “Technology”