What's the Price for 1 Ton of Blaschak in Your Area? 2008-09

gambler

Post by gambler » Thu. Jan. 15, 2009 7:21 pm

Al F wrote:BUT this year I did get a hopper fire when a large piece of coal...(actually a rock surrounded by coal, about 4 inches long and two by two for depth and width) caused a hopper fire,
I don't understand how a rock blocking the flow of coal from the hopper caused a hopper fire.

maurizziot

Post by maurizziot » Thu. Jan. 15, 2009 8:40 pm

40 Lbs bags of rice coal approx. $286.00 ton

A skid is 2400lbs (60) 40lb bags picked up cash is $335.00 All Blaschak

Just a wanted to note the bags suck, they rip easy, leak, no handle

Reading coal has a great bag it holds moisture, has handle, no dust when pouring into hopper

Middletown N.Y.

Al F

Post by Al F » Thu. Jan. 15, 2009 8:44 pm

Gambler - simple...the rock disrupted the flow of new coal pushing the currently burning coal to its ash stage and then off the burner plate.

when the rock fell by gravity into the space behind the pusher bar, the bar never went fully to its back position...no new coal was now being pushed...the air for combustion being pumped in was forced to start working on the coal farther up towards the feeder bar, before long heat, sparks and coal already burning begins to touch coal in the very bottom of the hopper....

maurizziot - while I would agree a handle would be nice, I have to say I never had a bag rip, they are pretty good bags..i wonder if we had the same bags....mine had that santa image on it (last year) maybe there are more than one type?

Al F

Post by Al F » Fri. Jan. 16, 2009 5:45 pm

Gary: "I wonder if you guys up in NH and Maine could hire a trucker to come down to the nearest breaker in Pa. and get a full load to haul back. Don't know if this is legal or not but it seems you could all chip in and pay the trucker his fee and still be saving some bucks."

it has to be from a dealer...Blaschak does and and will not sell direct to a customer even for a trailer load...and I can understand that...that build a strong dealer foundation.

Gary L
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Russo #1

Post by Gary L » Fri. Jan. 16, 2009 6:27 pm

Al F wrote:Gary: "I wonder if you guys up in NH and Maine could hire a trucker to come down to the nearest breaker in Pa. and get a full load to haul back. Don't know if this is legal or not but it seems you could all chip in and pay the trucker his fee and still be saving some bucks."

it has to be from a dealer...Blaschak does and and will not sell direct to a customer even for a trailer load...and I can understand that...that build a strong dealer foundation.
I guess you are correct Al but I have to consider that Blaschak is a brand name of Anthricite coal. I know all anthricite is not created equal but I have heard enough right here to know that Blaschak is not the end all of the anthricite brands. Sounds more to me like "Price Fixing" so if you can buy anthricite from another source or marketer for a cheaper unfixed price then we are all free to do so.

I have never been to a breaker but it seems apparent most of them are in business to sell Anthricite coal and most will sell to any one with the almighty dollars.

Here is the breakdown as I see it; I paid my dealer $209/T when I got it this fall. I could have gone to the breaker and paid $150. The breaker is allot farther for me to travel so it was worth the extra $60/T to avoid the wear and tear on my truck and trailer. I can only store 3 tons in my bins. If I had a few friends who used the same amount and we all got together to buy a full 24 ton truck load then it might be worthwhile.

I live right on the borders of NY, NJ and PA. I buy my gas in NJ at $1.49 when it is $1.89 in NY. I buy my smokes in PA for $14/carton less then NY. I am not trying to cheat anyone but I don't appreciate getting cheated either. I have never burned one nugget of Blaschak and it appears I never will.

Gary

Al F

Post by Al F » Sat. Jan. 17, 2009 1:05 pm

I hear where you are coming from Gary...for 21 years I was *in* the gasoline and cigarette business...i understand the contrats bewteen states...it appears you buy bulk...if I go that way, I will have to share a load w someone, otherwise bagged makes life easy

Nevercold

Post by Nevercold » Sat. Jan. 17, 2009 1:19 pm

maurizziot wrote:40 Lbs bags of rice coal approx. $286.00 ton

A skid is 2400lbs (60) 40lb bags picked up cash is $335.00 All Blaschak

Just a wanted to note the bags suck, they rip easy, leak, no handle

Reading coal has a great bag it holds moisture, has handle, no dust when pouring into hopper

Middletown N.Y.

Was this coal purchased from the Chimney sweep store??? Thanks....Tommy

Gary L
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Russo #1

Post by Gary L » Sat. Jan. 17, 2009 4:14 pm

Al F wrote:I hear where you are coming from Gary...for 21 years I was *in* the gasoline and cigarette business...i understand the contrats bewteen states...it appears you buy bulk...if I go that way, I will have to share a load w someone, otherwise bagged makes life easy
Just about everything we buy is bulk around here. I have to go 35 miles one way just to get to decent stores so it pays to stock up.

Gary

rwwsr
Stoker Coal Boiler: ahs s260 3
Coal Size/Type: pea

Post by rwwsr » Sun. Jan. 18, 2009 6:05 am

It's $250.00 a ton for pea or rice in Dover Delaware.
I was going to buy a bulk load, but still have not taken delivery of my boiler yet so I picked up a pallet (2400#) of pea so I could get started when I receive boiler.

wlape3
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska 140 Auger
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Propane

Post by wlape3 » Sun. Jan. 18, 2009 8:13 pm

Joe in NH wrote:wlape3 - Was your Blaschak bagged? I burned about 3 tons of bagged Blaschak pea coal last year and I am up to about 4 tons of nut coal this year. I had a problem with some wet coal but thought this had more to do with the dealer storing it outside where the water off the roof ran right onto the pallet. It was late winter and we had to hammer the bags out of the ice. I have never found a rock using bagged Blaschak. I was wondering if their loose coal might not get the same level of quality control. Joe
All coal is kept wet to control dust and the potential for dust explosions. When I used to get pea coal it would dry out in my outside coal bin. Now that I live in upstate NY (as opposed to Berks, PA) I have to get it bagged and it never seems to dry out in the "Santa Claus" bags from Blaschak. At least the Kinney coal comes in a fiber bag which drys out over time.

wlape3
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska 140 Auger
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Propane

Post by wlape3 » Sun. Jan. 18, 2009 8:19 pm

Al F wrote:wlape3 ..i read your post w interest..the wetness of the bagged Blaschak is for purposes of keeping dust down...which I appreciate.

You also mentioned rocks...i have not seen rocks and I used about 10 ton last year..BUT this year I did get a hopper fire when a large piece of coal...(actually a rock surrounded by coal, about 4 inches long and two by two for depth and width) caused a hopper fire, melting the paddles and rod that push the pusher bar in my A-250....it was a 60 dollar do it yourself repair..i use these furnaces in my greenhouse....and this alone is the reason I have not brought a coal furnace inside my house.

Having said all of that....keeping my fuel purchases inside this country means a lot to me, so I will be sticking w it
You ought to see the size of some of the rocks I have pulled out of my auger. The last one was about the size of a silver dollar and about a half inch thick. They are the same color as the coal but can easily be told apart because they are denser. When I used to buy Reading Pea coal I never had an issue with rocks. Of course I was using a hand fired unti at the time and it was much more tolerant of these things. Rocks would be like klinkers and sit up on the grate. A little ash shaking would usually dislodge the larger ones.

At least my rocks have not caused any damage yet, just inconvenience.

Freddy
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Post by Freddy » Mon. Jan. 19, 2009 5:47 am

Brewer Maine, Aubuchon hardware: Blashchak is $7.95 a 40 lb bag. If you buy a pallet, 1 1/4 ton, they give you a break and it comes down to $379 a ton. Still cheaper than pellets or oil, but, Ouch!

Al F

Post by Al F » Tue. Jan. 20, 2009 7:43 pm

speaking of heating oil...i was just quoted 2.25 per gallon for one of my oil furnaces

coal berner
Location: Pottsville PA. Schuylkill County PA. The Hart Of Anthracite Coal Country.
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1986 Electric Furnace Man 520 DF

Post by coal berner » Wed. Jan. 21, 2009 10:00 am

Al F wrote:Gary: "I wonder if you guys up in NH and Maine could hire a trucker to come down to the nearest breaker in Pa. and get a full load to haul back. Don't know if this is legal or not but it seems you could all chip in and pay the trucker his fee and still be saving some bucks."

Dealer only is for there bagged coal . Bulk Loose any one my buy at the breaker 180 a ton

coal berner
Location: Pottsville PA. Schuylkill County PA. The Hart Of Anthracite Coal Country.
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1986 Electric Furnace Man 520 DF

Post by coal berner » Wed. Jan. 21, 2009 10:04 am

Joe in NH wrote:wlape3 - Was your Blaschak bagged? I burned about 3 tons of bagged Blaschak pea coal last year and I am up to about 4 tons of nut coal this year. I had a problem with some wet coal but thought this had more to do with the dealer storing it outside where the water off the roof ran right onto the pallet. It was late winter and we had to hammer the bags out of the ice. I have never found a rock using bagged Blaschak. I was wondering if their loose coal might not get the same level of quality control. Joe
The bag coal & loose coal are one in the same both come out of there breaker they move the loose coal from the breaker in trucks to the bagging Plant 1/4 mile down the road .No differents in coal

Return to “Coal Prices & Quality, Coal Dealer Inquiries & Reviews”