Bulk coal by the ton ky

Stevejo
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Florence hot blast

Post by Stevejo » Fri. Mar. 31, 2023 2:48 pm

Looking for bulk delivered coal in the Louisville area. (Just south of actually in Shepherdsville)
Web search didn’t produce anyone who actually had a website, and some of those may not sell to individuals or deliver.
Anthracite would be the preferred, I’m assuming, but the bituminous coal would suffice. They seem to have the same BTU’s per ton (or close enough) so if it’s significantly cheaper I may opt for that.
Anyone in this general area on this forum have any experience with this?

davidmcbeth3
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea/anthra

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Sat. Apr. 01, 2023 12:22 pm

Not in Ky .. but I have called the manufacturers or looked at their web sites to investigate dealers by me.

Had success doing this. In KY you might have bit and anthracite dealers around.

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Sat. Apr. 01, 2023 12:33 pm

Searching for keyword Kentucky, title only, gave these results.

search.php?keywords=kentucky&terms=all&author=&sc ... mit=Search

davidmcbeth3
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea/anthra

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Sat. Apr. 01, 2023 2:04 pm

warminmn wrote:
Sat. Apr. 01, 2023 12:33 pm
Searching for keyword Kentucky, title only, gave these results.

search.php?keywords=kentucky&terms=all&author=&sc ... mit=Search
There used to be sub-topics of states on the board...they were removed several years ago.

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Sat. Apr. 01, 2023 6:16 pm

What will you be using it in? I've heard the Kentucky bit is really good stuff, although it is classified as bituminous coal.

Stevejo

Post by Stevejo » Sat. Apr. 01, 2023 9:54 pm

Lightning wrote:
Sat. Apr. 01, 2023 6:16 pm
What will you be using it in? I've heard the Kentucky bit is really good stuff, although it is classified as bituminous coal.
Fixing up a late 40’s Florence hot blast.

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Sat. Apr. 01, 2023 11:03 pm

Oh ok, if I recall correctly, those stoves are designed for bituminous coal..

Ky Speedracer
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Florence HotBlast NO.68 & Potbelly
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: HotBlast 1557M
Coal Size/Type: Ky Lump & Anthracite Nut
Other Heating: Oil

Post by Ky Speedracer » Mon. May. 15, 2023 3:13 pm

There used to be a guy in Sulpher KY about 45 minutes north of Louisville that sold lump bit coal. It was called Byrd Coal Yard. His phone number is 502-743-5258. It was pretty good stuff right out of eastern KY.
Don't know if he is still there or not... I haven't been there in several years because I've made the switch to anthracite.

Stevejo

Post by Stevejo » Tue. May. 16, 2023 7:49 am

Ky Speedracer wrote:
Mon. May. 15, 2023 3:13 pm
There used to be a guy in Sulpher KY about 45 minutes north of Louisville that sold lump bit coal. It was called Byrd Coal Yard. His phone number is 502-743-5258. It was pretty good stuff right out of eastern KY.
Don't know if he is still there or not... I haven't been there in several years because I've made the switch to anthracite.

I think I’ve called them and left a message but no reply. May try again. Could be one of those places that won’t, you just have to catch ‘em while they’re in.

OTR
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: Crown Royal 7200 (OWB)

Post by OTR » Tue. May. 16, 2023 6:31 pm

That's my version of the American Dream... own a business with such high demand that I don't bother to return customer phone calls. :D

homopratensis

Post by homopratensis » Tue. May. 23, 2023 1:03 pm

There are several anthracite dealers in Southern Indiana, selling Blashack or Lehigh. Bagged. Amish usually.

lpirtle
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Legacy Mark 1
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anthracite
Other Heating: Electric strip furnace

Post by lpirtle » Fri. Aug. 25, 2023 12:15 pm

Ky Speedracer wrote:
Mon. May. 15, 2023 3:13 pm
I called him today, he currently sells bituminous coal for $220 a ton. Although I didn't ask about the rest of the week, I know he's open on Saturdays from 10am to 5pm. Hope this helps you. I am looking for a different supplier myself with more reasonable prices. last year I got a ton of Tractor Supply anthracite.. but this year the price has gone up to $12 a bag. :what:

Stevejo

Post by Stevejo » Sat. Aug. 26, 2023 1:33 pm

lpirtle wrote:
Fri. Aug. 25, 2023 12:15 pm
I called him today, he currently sells bituminous coal for $220 a ton. Although I didn't ask about the rest of the week, I know he's open on Saturdays from 10am to 5pm. Hope this helps you. I am looking for a different supplier myself with more reasonable prices. last year I got a ton of Tractor Supply anthracite.. but this year the price has gone up to $12 a bag. :what:
Good to know and thanks. I’d left a message and never got a return call.
I’d given up basically and marked him off the list. Just wasn’t calling at the right time I guess. Lol.
Thanks again.

lpirtle
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Legacy Mark 1
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anthracite
Other Heating: Electric strip furnace

Post by lpirtle » Sun. Aug. 27, 2023 11:31 am

Stevejo wrote:
Sat. Aug. 26, 2023 1:33 pm
Good to know and thanks. I’d left a message and never got a return call.
I’d given up basically and marked him off the list. Just wasn’t calling at the right time I guess. Lol.
Thanks again.
Your welcome.. as ive been searching myself; I know the struggles of finding a supplier around here.
There is a another supplier closer to where I live that's in owensboro called sampson coal company. Someone here on the forum said they were open last year, but their numbers on facebook are ether disconnected or reassigned to someone else, and they don't respond to their facebook messages. So ive written them off the list which is a shame because that would have only been a 30 minute drive for me.

Oliger

Post by Oliger » Fri. Dec. 01, 2023 12:07 pm

lpirtle wrote:
Sun. Aug. 27, 2023 11:31 am
Your welcome.. as ive been searching myself; I know the struggles of finding a supplier around here.
There is a another supplier closer to where I live that's in owensboro called sampson coal company. Someone here on the forum said they were open last year, but their numbers on facebook are ether disconnected or reassigned to someone else, and they don't respond to their facebook messages. So ive written them off the list which is a shame because that would have only been a 30 minute drive for me.
Talked to warrior coal llc today. Said they supplied coal to sampsons. They will sell coal to smaller people if they can gather enough customers. They have a wait list, and they will call you back if they can get enough people.
Warrior coal llc
57 J E Ellis Rd, Madisonville, KY 42431
270-249-3100

Return to “Coal Prices & Quality, Coal Dealer Inquiries & Reviews”