New to coal

minneapolisdude

Post by minneapolisdude » Mon. Jan. 16, 2023 3:44 am

Hey guys sorry but I would need some help. I’m in Minnesota, one of the coldest states in the Union and for the life of me I cannot find anyone that sells a Hitzer coal fireplace insert and can install it. I have been able to find a reliable coal supplier but so far I have asked and nobody sells inserts that can burn coal. I fell in love with the warmth of coal after moving to our house and finding an old Victorian coal grate in a yard sale and using it to burn coal instead of wood in our fireplace. But I’m ready to take the next step and I just cannot seem to find anyone up here that is willing/able to do this project for me. I was hoping you guys could help provide some advice to a dude that is just now getting started in his coal journey. Thank you!

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Mon. Jan. 16, 2023 9:00 am

Hitzers site lists dealers (I think) but most are Amish here and not installers. Theres an Amish dealer near me, maybe 120 miles from you but he orders them, they arent in stock. He's not going to install them. There are other dealers in WI and IA. Again, not installers.

That I know of there is only one fireplace store anywhere near us that sells coal and coal stoves, or at least used too, and thats Bossert Fireplace in Mineral Point WI. Possibly they could help.

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Mon. Jan. 16, 2023 1:09 pm

minneapolisdude wrote:
Mon. Jan. 16, 2023 3:44 am
I fell in love with the warmth of coal after moving to our house and finding an old Victorian coal grate in a yard sale and using it to burn coal instead of wood in our fireplace.
What type of coal? We mainly burn anthracite but bituminous will burn in stoves as well, it's just not as user friendly.

Have you tried Facebook marketplace for a used stove? I picked up a nice Hitzer 503 insert for dirt cheap a couple years ago.

davidmcbeth3
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea/anthra

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Mon. Jan. 16, 2023 3:12 pm

I bought my Hitzer through a dealer but was shipped directly from Hitzer to my house if I recall.

Installers of wood stoves do coal stoves too..just identify the install specifications (ie want a SS liner, buy it yourself or specify) to the installer.

My retailer of the stove did not do installs either. I called a few installers .. only one impressed me. No problems with the install - stove running > 10yrs. He removed the original dampener, put the SS liner in, got stove into position, and finished it up. About 2 hrs. $500 for the install incl. SS liner. I have no clue what the cost of such would be today.

I'm sure that a retailer would do a transaction over the phone...fireplace inserts limit the models...Hitzer has the 503 and 983 models for example.

I never thought that I would have had problems getting an installer. I could have had a stove no one would install LOL ....

You may wish to call wood stove installers and ID one would would go with. And contact Hitzer retailer(s) to get the best price. When both are identified, finalize everything and move forward with the project.

minneapolisdude

Post by minneapolisdude » Mon. Jan. 16, 2023 4:54 pm

Does the company that helps me with the install also would have to do a stainless steel liner the length of the chimney?

Lightning
Site Moderator

Post by Lightning » Mon. Jan. 16, 2023 5:16 pm

It depends on your chimney and the honesty of the installer. In most cases a pipe a few feet up and sealed into the flue is fine. But an installer looking to make a buck will wanna put SS liner all the way to the top.

For example, I bought a used Hitzer 503 for $85 (lucky deal) and $100 for 6ft of SS flexible liner and installed it myself. All new with a contract install could cost upwards of 3 grand.

conesuscoal

Post by conesuscoal » Tue. Jan. 17, 2023 12:32 pm

We can help you with either a Hitzer or DS fireplace insert and any venting components you need, including freight to you.

www.thecoalshop.com

If you search around your area, you should be able to find a chimney sweep. Most of them will do installs in their slower season.

minneapolisdude

Post by minneapolisdude » Thu. Jan. 19, 2023 9:58 pm

Consuscoal do you also deliver bagged coal to MN?

conesuscoal

Post by conesuscoal » Thu. Jan. 19, 2023 11:00 pm

minneapolisdude wrote:
Thu. Jan. 19, 2023 9:58 pm
Consuscoal do you also deliver bagged coal to MN?
We don't. You'd be looking at $300-500 per ton just in freight costs and would have to have equipment to unload it from trailer.

davidmcbeth3
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea/anthra

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Fri. Jan. 20, 2023 5:34 am

minneapolisdude wrote:
Mon. Jan. 16, 2023 4:54 pm
Does the company that helps me with the install also would have to do a stainless steel liner the length of the chimney?
Most stove installers should have the capacity to put in a liner. Do they have to put it in? No. Cover this in your contract. I would not deal with an installer who does not have the capacity to put in a liner.

And I would have the installer inspect your chimney and make recommendations. You are the ultimate decider.

minneapolisdude

Post by minneapolisdude » Fri. Jan. 20, 2023 12:51 pm

That makes sense. Thank you. For why I have been reading a SS liner is more or less a must considering the corrosiveness of coal and its higher BTU heat output. Regular flues can’t seem to handle burning coal for long.
This is all been so helpful people!

waytomany?s
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark II
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Looking
Baseburners & Antiques: Looking
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: newmac wood/coal combo furnace

Post by waytomany?s » Fri. Jan. 20, 2023 12:55 pm

minneapolisdude wrote:
Fri. Jan. 20, 2023 12:51 pm
That makes sense. Thank you. For why I have been reading a SS liner is more or less a must considering the corrosiveness of coal and its higher BTU heat output. Regular flues can’t seem to handle burning coal for long.
Ss will eventually be eaten up by the flu ash reacting with moisture.

Lightning
Site Moderator

Post by Lightning » Fri. Jan. 20, 2023 1:03 pm

minneapolisdude wrote:
Regular flues can’t seem to handle burning coal for long.
What do you consider a regular flue? A block and motor with clay liner can last a lifetime with coal use. Metal chimneys, even SS can rot. Some people have had decent luck with them, some haven't.
minneapolisdude wrote:
higher BTU heat output.
Coal has a "steadier" BTU output.. Not necessarily more. Generally speaking, flue gases from a coal fire are cooler than a wood fire.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Fri. Jan. 20, 2023 1:33 pm

minneapolisdude wrote:
My house was owned by the local coal dealers - the chimneys built for coal in 1891. And those brick chimneys are still in use for coal. And if they had a "regular flue" such as a clay liner they would still be fine.

Because there is no creosote with coal, chimney temps tend to be lower than what wood chimney temps need to be to not build up creosote. With both of my coal stoves the stove pipes run a little more than half what the recommended minimum pipe temp is for wood. ;)

Paul

minneapolisdude

Post by minneapolisdude » Fri. Jan. 20, 2023 2:24 pm

Ah thank you guys. This makes sense. My chimney flue is mortar inside with a brick exterior. When I called a company to sweep it they of course found issues such as some of the joints loosing material or cracking but no issues with the mortar itself. I felt that they were finding all these issues to ensnare me into signing a contract with them. They did just that and ended up with a multi-thousand dollar proposal. Our home was built in 1998 and the chimney was built at that time too. I felt the guy was being very dishonest. Is there a good chimney sweep that you guys might know of in the Twin Cities area?

Return to “Coal Prices & Quality, Coal Dealer Inquiries & Reviews”