Can’t find any coal! Help!

Sunnyincolodado

Post by Sunnyincolodado » Fri. Jan. 06, 2023 12:56 pm

Hello! I live in Colorado Springs and I haven’t been able to find any coal for sale this winter :no1:

I normally buy bagged anthracite nut coal from Tractor Supply, however, none of the Colorado stores (within 200 miles) have received any coal this winter.

I even tried to buy local bit coal, which is no longer being sold at the usual place.

Any one have any leads on how I can find some coal this winter and not actually freeze to death?

Thank you!
Freezing in Colorado…

waytomany?s
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark II
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Looking
Baseburners & Antiques: Looking
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: newmac wood/coal combo furnace

Post by waytomany?s » Fri. Jan. 06, 2023 4:37 pm

You're a bit west of us all. I don't know if anyone here is actually out there. Good luck.

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Fri. Jan. 06, 2023 5:06 pm

Maybe call the bit mines in Utah? and see if they sell to any dealers within driving distance. Or the Wyoming sub bit mines. You have a common problem this year as the demand soared world wide. I would be surprised if TSC gets any out there for a couple years as they have none in their warehouse right now and will be playing catch up for a while. Good luck

BunkerdCaddis
Stoker Coal Boiler: Bairmatic-Van Wert
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Van Wert VW85H
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Saey Hanover II working when I feel the desire, Waterford 105 out on vacation, Surdiac Gotha hiding somewhere
Coal Size/Type: pea/nut/rice/stove-anthracite, nut/stove bit when I feel the urge
Other Heating: oil fired hydronic

Post by BunkerdCaddis » Sat. Jan. 07, 2023 10:14 am

A couple of years ago Lehigh arranged a load to the Cali Coast for a guy in a boat, it's documented in the Bagged Anthracite shipped to California? thread.

The world is a different place today and I doubt you'll get this service from a big mine now. Maybe one of the smaller outfits would, I don't know who to tell you to contact but I'd explore getting a palleted ton or two shipped direct.

No different than shipping anything else if you can get somebody willing to load it, you're kinda behind the 8 ball at this point and it ain't gonna be cheap.

davidmcbeth3
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea/anthra

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Sat. Jan. 07, 2023 3:04 pm

2nd and 3rd suppliers are needed for anything one wishes to use. If there was only one supplier of coal by me I would not have chosen a coal stove. You kinda stuck when it comes to electricity unless you wish to invest heavily in creating your own; soon that pricing may come down too, comparatively to electric company pricing.

fig
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman SF360
Hand Fed Coal Stove: T.O.M (Warm Morning converted to baseburner by Steve) Round Oak 1917 Door model O-3, Warm Morning 400, Warm Morning 524, Warm Morning 414,Florence No.77, Warm Morning 523-b
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 7.1/DS Machine basement stove/ Harman SF1500
Baseburners & Antiques: Renown Parlor stove 87B
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous/anthracite
Other Heating: Harman Accentra, enviro omega, Vermont Ironworks Elm stove, Quadrafire Mt Vernon, Logwood stove, Sotz barrel stove,

Post by fig » Sat. Jan. 07, 2023 9:17 pm

I’ve tried twice to get big mines to deliver to Illinois with no success. Once was per pandemic and once post. It looks like the end is nigh. At least until I can get my hands on a bit stoker. The Amish guy here gets Blashak but he wants $575 a ton for it. I’m not paying that. I’ll burn corn before I’ll pay those prices.

Jeff Van Wickle
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 105
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman TLC 2000
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Rice and Nut

Post by Jeff Van Wickle » Mon. Jan. 09, 2023 8:46 am

We (Lehigh Anthracite) can certainly assist in shipping any amount of pallets to Colorado Springs.
Shipping will get a little costly but it does not hurt to see if it would be a viable option for you.
If you are still interested email me your address and I can working on a price for you.

If anyone else is interested feel free to also send me an email.

[email protected]

captcaper

Post by captcaper » Wed. Jan. 11, 2023 8:16 am

My local TSC has 20 tons of Rice here. Nut is down low. They said they burn much more Nut

Pa papa
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS-130
Coal Size/Type: Pea; anthracite
Other Heating: oil fired boiler; LP insert

Post by Pa papa » Wed. Jan. 11, 2023 6:27 pm

Even at $575 a ton, that's only $23.00 per million BTU's. still cheaper than #2 fuel oil.

There is a fuel cost comparison page on here and you can plug in your own numbers to see what it really costs to heat your home
https://coalpail.com/fuel-comparison-calculator-home-heating.

I felt the same way, than ran the numbers..I ❤️ coal.

lzaharis
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KAA-4-1 dual fuel boiler
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: former switzer CWW100-sold
Coal Size/Type: rice
Other Heating: kerosene for dual fuel Keystoker/unused

Post by lzaharis » Wed. Jan. 11, 2023 8:13 pm

Please contact the Colorado Mining Association and ask if the
coal mine that was mining Anthracite in the State of Colorado
is still open and actively mining and ask them for thier contact
information as you wish to buy anthracite coal for heating.

Sunnyincolodado

Post by Sunnyincolodado » Wed. Jan. 11, 2023 10:54 pm

Thanks everyone for your good ideas/suggestions. This is a great community!

lzaharis
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KAA-4-1 dual fuel boiler
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: former switzer CWW100-sold
Coal Size/Type: rice
Other Heating: kerosene for dual fuel Keystoker/unused

Post by lzaharis » Wed. Jan. 11, 2023 11:48 pm

fig wrote:
Sat. Jan. 07, 2023 9:17 pm
I’ve tried twice to get big mines to deliver to Illinois with no success. Once was per pandemic and once post. It looks like the end is nigh. At least until I can get my hands on a bit stoker. The Amish guy here gets Blashak but he wants $575 a ton for it. I’m not paying that. I’ll burn corn before I’ll pay those prices.
========================================================================================================

Is there any reason you cannot hire a local truck to go to Montana to pick up a load of oiled
Sub Bituminous Montana Stoker coal for you? It is a lot less costly than corn.

WyoCoalMiner

Post by WyoCoalMiner » Thu. Jan. 12, 2023 12:28 am

Sunny,

Not sure how far you want to travel. You can buy PRB sub-bit from Wolf Mountain Coal in Sheridan (sourced from the Spring Creek Mine in Montana ~ 9,000 BTU / lb). Or from Simon Construction in Gillette (sourced from the Eagle Butte Mine north of town ~ 8,600 BTU / lb). Both are low ash and low sulfur coal. Wolf Mountain has more variety in size / gradation. I would guess $90-100 / ton if you haul.

Wolf Mountain Coal
https://www.wolfmountaincoalmt.com/

Simon Construction
Address: 209 Limestone Ave, Gillette, WY 82716
Phone: (307) 682-8407

Sunnyincolodado

Post by Sunnyincolodado » Thu. Jan. 12, 2023 2:33 am

Thanks WyoCoalMiner! Appreciate the info.

fig
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman SF360
Hand Fed Coal Stove: T.O.M (Warm Morning converted to baseburner by Steve) Round Oak 1917 Door model O-3, Warm Morning 400, Warm Morning 524, Warm Morning 414,Florence No.77, Warm Morning 523-b
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 7.1/DS Machine basement stove/ Harman SF1500
Baseburners & Antiques: Renown Parlor stove 87B
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous/anthracite
Other Heating: Harman Accentra, enviro omega, Vermont Ironworks Elm stove, Quadrafire Mt Vernon, Logwood stove, Sotz barrel stove,

Post by fig » Thu. Jan. 12, 2023 7:57 am

lzaharis wrote:
Wed. Jan. 11, 2023 11:48 pm
========================================================================================================

Is there any reason you cannot hire a local truck to go to Montana to pick up a load of oiled
Sub Bituminous Montana Stoker coal for you? It is a lot less costly than corn.

I suppose the same reason they won’t deliver. Fuel costs are too prohibitive. I was just being sarcastic about burning corn. I’m actually burning pellets this season.

Return to “Coal Prices & Quality, Coal Dealer Inquiries & Reviews”