Break Even Cost Poll- Coal vs Oil vs Gas vs Electric

What is your break even point before coal costs you more than your other heat source.

Poll ended at Tue. Sep. 27, 2022 6:21 pm

$200 or under per ton.
No votes
$201-$300 per ton.
9%
$301-399 per ton.
No votes
$400-499 per ton.
36%
$500-599 per ton.
9%
$600-699 per ton.
9%
$700-799 per ton.
9%
$800-899 per ton.
27%
$900-999 per ton.
No votes
$1000 and over per ton.
No votes

Total votes: 11

coalnewbie
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL AnthraKing 180K, Pocono110K,KStokr 90K, DVC
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Invader 2
Baseburners & Antiques: Wings Best, Glenwood #8(x2) Herald 116x
Coal Size/Type: Rice,
Other Heating: Heating Oil CH, Toyotomi OM 22

Post by coalnewbie » Sat. Sep. 10, 2022 8:52 am

That's how we got to this point, no one listened.
Monthly meetings (all women) of the Orange County Dressage Federation were like this. Shelley used to be President but she sprained her ankle and I offered to drive her. (greater love hath no husband) .When we arrived a little late there were 12 women talking but no one was listening.. and here we go again ... hahahahhaha.

anthony7812
Stoker Coal Boiler: VanWert VA 400
Coal Size/Type: Buck/Anthracite

Post by anthony7812 » Sat. Sep. 10, 2022 9:31 am

In my case at this point it’s more than just dollar for dollar. Wood, takes my time. Coal requires less work but more attention to detail to keep cleanliness. Trust me, after 10 years of coal burning, packing up my basement really opened my eyes to the dust that accumulates. That was with being meticulous. Oil is costly but less work and only some annual maintenance. Propane is nicer but has a higher btu cost. Natural gas… wish it was available. Electric(solar, geo, baseboard, heat pump etc) ya need to be wealthy. Either the monthly bill sucks or the install costs for whatever system is astronomical.

All this plays a factor for me. Not just btu for btu cost. Coal helped me afford to get where I’m at. Always be thankful, but I’m also understanding that maybe the next guy needs it more than me to get their goal accomplished. I’ll hit up wood for now and use the oil in the lighter temps. This 35 year old could stand to lose a few pounds and keep an idle mind busy.

k-2
Stoker Coal Boiler: K2- Keystoker
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Stoker Stove
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by k-2 » Sat. Sep. 10, 2022 10:21 am

coalnewbie wrote:
Thu. Sep. 08, 2022 8:31 pm
Coal just fits and works very well and I guessed all this stuff was coming and over 2 years have collected 50 tons of rice ... so. I also guess this EU horror will go on for years. Wood is also a no. I also suspect regular power failures in my future so I am looking at stove coal.
Thats what i was thinking ,the old timers had it right. Hand fired gravity fed coal heat. Automatic rice coal stokers an boilers are great but what if there's no power. Even some of the old Nat gas furnaces didnt use power or pumps ,all gravity fed heat.( i have one) But for that you need stove or nut coal and a hand fired stove and cast iron radiators.

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Sat. Sep. 10, 2022 2:37 pm

k-2 wrote:
Sat. Sep. 10, 2022 10:21 am
Automatic rice coal stokers an boilers are great but what if there's no power.
A small gasoline powered generator is an easy fix.. Is power ever off so often and for so long that a little backup genny couldn't handle it?

hotblast1357
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1984 Eshland S260 coal gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite pea
Other Heating: air source heat pump, oil furnace

Post by hotblast1357 » Sat. Sep. 10, 2022 5:34 pm

Rob R. wrote:
Fri. Sep. 09, 2022 10:28 pm
It works fine for my neighbor. I am not sure what the secret is.
What type of geothermal system is it?

waytomany?s
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark II
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Looking
Baseburners & Antiques: Looking
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: newmac wood/coal combo furnace

Post by waytomany?s » Sat. Sep. 10, 2022 6:50 pm

coalnewbie wrote:
Sat. Sep. 10, 2022 8:52 am
Monthly meetings (all women) of the Orange County Dressage Federation were like this. Shelley used to be President but she sprained her ankle and I offered to drive her. (greater love hath no husband) .When we arrived a little late there were 12 women talking but no one was listening.. and here we go again ... hahahahhaha.
Was my wife there? :clap: bwahaha!

k-2

Post by k-2 » Sat. Sep. 10, 2022 7:58 pm

Lightning wrote:
Sat. Sep. 10, 2022 2:37 pm
A small gasoline powered generator is an easy fix.. Is power ever off so often and for so long that a little backup genny couldn't handle it?
Petty crime getting so bad around with the police defunded,dejected and demonized here someone would steal it. Then proceed to enter the house and snip out the copper wire

k-2

Post by k-2 » Sat. Sep. 10, 2022 8:33 pm

anthony7812 wrote:
Sat. Sep. 10, 2022 9:31 am
In my case at this point it’s more than just dollar for dollar. Wood, takes my time. Coal requires less work but more attention to detail to keep cleanliness. Trust me, after 10 years of coal burning, packing up my basement really opened my eyes to the dust that accumulates. That was with being meticulous.
You must have a hot air coal system or your shoveling coal into a hopper.I dont get any more dirt in the house than did with oil heat,but i dont handle the raw coal.It goes right into the hopper from an ouside bin thru the sidewall. Then i spray the ashes with a water mist before i scoop em into a bucket. No dust going in and none coming out . I have full bar in my basement so id notice any dust right away.

anthony7812
Stoker Coal Boiler: VanWert VA 400
Coal Size/Type: Buck/Anthracite

Post by anthony7812 » Sat. Sep. 10, 2022 10:29 pm

I bucketed coal into a bin in the basement. Always used a shop vac with a dust bag when I pulled ashes. It was a nice boiler. Prior to the boiler it was a hand fed Harmon mark 3. That made a good deal of dust. It wasn’t enough that standard dusting didn’t handle. However, pulling some storage out of the basement proved otherwise. Black dust was everywhere you didnt see. Never would have noticed.

garyonthenet
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman Magnum Stoker
Coal Size/Type: rice
Other Heating: oil heat

Post by garyonthenet » Sun. Nov. 27, 2022 7:32 am

Lightning wrote:
Sat. Sep. 10, 2022 2:37 pm
My key stoker coal stove uses about 60watts averaged. That's about 1.5kWh per day of electricity.

waytomany?s
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark II
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Looking
Baseburners & Antiques: Looking
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: newmac wood/coal combo furnace

Post by waytomany?s » Sun. Nov. 27, 2022 8:22 am

garyonthenet wrote:
Sun. Nov. 27, 2022 7:32 am
My key stoker coal stove uses about 60watts averaged. That's about 1.5kWh per day of electricity.
So, does that answer the question?

k-2

Post by k-2 » Sun. Nov. 27, 2022 12:45 pm

I Figured coal and Nat gas was about the same per 1 million BTUs last year. (Around $10) Now i have to refigure but my coal was 50% more this year and my Nat gas bill has gone up as well about 50% so they should still be pretty close to the same price. Coal should be a lot less than Nat gas in my opinion given the work and dirt involved in coal use. The btu cost calculator dont seem to account for the delivery and distribution charge for the gas which is at least 40% of the bill. Just the cost of the gas.

garyonthenet
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman Magnum Stoker
Coal Size/Type: rice
Other Heating: oil heat

Post by garyonthenet » Sun. Nov. 27, 2022 9:41 pm

waytomany?s wrote:
Sun. Nov. 27, 2022 8:22 am
So, does that answer the question?
No, but implies an answer.
At 65 watts average you could have a deep charge marine battery and inverter, which should carry the coal stove for about a day without power from mains.
If it goes longer than that then yes you will need a generator, small or large to drive the stove and recharge the marine battery.

Return to “Coal Prices & Quality, Coal Dealer Inquiries & Reviews”