Hauling Coal (MT to ID)

renaissanceman
Other Heating: 20" New Columbian fireplace

Post by renaissanceman » Wed. Jul. 20, 2022 1:19 pm

I'm trying to get a load hauled from Wolf Mountain Coal in Montana to my home in Idaho -- do you guys have any tips on finding a truck? Any load boards, etc. that you guys have used?

I'm probably going to want a full semi load since the cost per ton is pretty low and the trip is about 800 miles so I need to make it worth it.

hank2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1400 WH ciculator; 1880's small cannon in reserve
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: small New Yorker oil fired boiler; mostly used for domestic HW

Post by hank2 » Sat. Jul. 23, 2022 7:39 pm

I took a quick look at Wolf mountain's website . Looks like shipping large truckloads for home use or commercial is what they do. Did you try contacting them? They mention the mine they source from. Sub bit in various sizes. Also a second retail yard somewhere in Wy. They might have a list of truckers hauling or have their own.

renaissanceman

Post by renaissanceman » Sat. Aug. 13, 2022 1:20 am

Yep, I did, and called down the whole list of contacts they gave me with only one what was interested, and they have been somewhat elusive when I have been trying to nail them down.

waytomany?s
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark II
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Looking
Baseburners & Antiques: Looking
Other Heating: newmac wood/coal combo furnace

Post by waytomany?s » Sat. Aug. 13, 2022 8:03 am

They probably all think you're trying to scam them. Or trying to set them up. Maybe the trucking is so expensive they figure you won't do it and it would be waste of time to quote. Ask them straight out why you can't just get a simple quote.

gaw
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Coal Size/Type: Rice from Schuylkill County

Post by gaw » Sat. Aug. 13, 2022 2:05 pm

Yeah, they either feel the risk of not getting paid is too high or else they have better work available.

renaissanceman

Post by renaissanceman » Wed. Sep. 21, 2022 6:56 pm

waytomany?s wrote:
Sat. Aug. 13, 2022 8:03 am
They probably all think you're trying to scam them. Or trying to set them up. Maybe the trucking is so expensive they figure you won't do it and it would be waste of time to quote. Ask them straight out why you can't just get a simple quote.
It would be a strange scam trying to get someone to haul coal...I think it's just an oddball request and most people don't want to drive the 800 miles with the types of trailers required for lump coal. Most places have been saying they can't haul material that is the size that the lump comes in.

Now that the economy is taking a dump and harvest season is winding down, I've started focusing on Utah coal. I've been looking on the satellite view and finding coal loading facilities in the coal regions and then looking for trucking companies adjacent to them and working the phones. This seems promising so far. Hopefully I'll have a load before winter sets in.

waytomany?s
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark II
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Looking
Baseburners & Antiques: Looking
Other Heating: newmac wood/coal combo furnace

Post by waytomany?s » Wed. Sep. 21, 2022 8:41 pm

Wishing you luck, make sure you post and let us know what happens. The information may be helpful for someone else.

renaissanceman

Post by renaissanceman » Mon. Sep. 26, 2022 9:48 pm

I seem to have a semi load lined up for next Monday. I'm going to follow up on it tomorrow to make sure it's a go.

hank2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1400 WH ciculator; 1880's small cannon in reserve
Other Heating: small New Yorker oil fired boiler; mostly used for domestic HW

Post by hank2 » Tue. Sep. 27, 2022 2:07 am

Good darts! Hope that all goes smoothly. Did you go with coal from Utah?

renaissanceman

Post by renaissanceman » Tue. Sep. 27, 2022 11:57 am

Yes, Utah coal (around 11,500 btu/lb bituminous). Once I have the coal in hand (or in a HUGE pile) and assuming it all goes smoothly with delivery, I'll share the contact info.

Return to “Coal Prices & Quality, Coal Dealer Inquiries & Reviews”