Anthracite Price Per Ton for the 2022-2023 Heating Season

What's the price for 1 ton of coal in your area?

$209 or Less Delivered
No votes
$210-$239 Delivered
2%
$240-$269 Delivered
1%
$270-$299 Delivered
5%
$300-$329 Delivered
5%
$330-$369 Delivered
7%
$370-$399 Delivered
4%
$400-$429 Delivered
4%
$430-$459 Delivered
5%
$459 or more Delivered
1%
$229 or Less Picked Up Bulk
11%
-
No votes
-
No votes
-
No votes
$230-$249 Picked Up Bulk
3%
$250-$279 Picked Up Bulk
1%
$280-$309 Picked Up Bulk
No votes
$310-$339 Picked Up Bulk
4%
$340-$369 Picked Up Bulk
6%
$340-$369 Picked Up Bulk
No votes
$370 or More Picked Up Bulk
7%
$299 or Less Bagged
No votes
$300-$329 Bagged
No votes
$330-$359 Bagged
4%
$360-$389 Bagged
3%
$390-$419 Bagged
3%
$420-$449 Bagged
7%
$450-$379 Bagged
5%
$480-$509 Bagged
10%
$510-$539 Bagged
1%
$540 or more Bagged
4%

Total votes: 152

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Mon. Sep. 26, 2022 10:35 am

hank2 wrote:
Sun. Sep. 25, 2022 11:20 pm

Anthracite still remains the most economical fuel per BTU. Visit
I get it!

k-2
Stoker Coal Boiler: K2- Keystoker
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Stoker Stove
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by k-2 » Mon. Sep. 26, 2022 11:38 am

hank2 wrote:
Sun. Sep. 25, 2022 11:20 pm
For those that don't view facebook. from Blaschak's page several days ago. I don't buy the doubled in cost claim on some of the items listed. Then again, the nothing fancy coffee I buy from online from Walmart or Amazon for $8.19 a 31 oz. can is priced at $13 for a smaller can in all the local supermarkets. Spank 'em while you can.
Inflation is not up 100% on everything but coal is up 100% in some places. 20% on the low end. Oil continues to drop,gas is now $3.30 a gallon. The price of Heating oil is important as it directly competes with coal. For some reason thats not coming down as fast as gas. I was thinking about phasing out the coal when it was $200 a ton.

nepacoal
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KAA-4 / "Kelly" and an EFM 520 at my in-laws
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman SF-260 - retired
Coal Size/Type: Buck

Post by nepacoal » Mon. Sep. 26, 2022 12:08 pm

In Lehigh's case it's 165%. It was $170 picked up last year and they raised it to $450 a month or two ago. It's pretty obvious they are price gouging... Per the definition, it's a casebook example of gouging. I hear they recently lowered their price to $430. They might not have many local customers left once the EU situation ends.

k-2

Post by k-2 » Mon. Sep. 26, 2022 1:06 pm

nepacoal wrote:
Mon. Sep. 26, 2022 12:08 pm
In Lehigh's case it's 165%. It was $170 picked up last year and they raised it to $450 a month or two ago. It's pretty obvious they are price gouging... Per the definition, it's a casebook example of gouging. I hear they recently lowered their price to $430. They might not have many local customers left once the EU situation ends.
And a lot of these small operations will get new business if they can live thru biden regulations trying to put them out of business. Im trying to diversify my supply sources. I now have 3 small suppliers where before i had 1 large one.

hank2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1400 WH ciculator; 1880's small cannon in reserve
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: small New Yorker oil fired boiler; mostly used for domestic HW

Post by hank2 » Mon. Sep. 26, 2022 1:23 pm

k-2 wrote:
Mon. Sep. 26, 2022 11:38 am
Inflation is not up 100% on everything but coal is up 100% in some places. 20% on the low end. Oil continues to drop,gas is now $3.30 a gallon. The price of Heating oil is important as it directly competes with coal. For some reason thats not coming down as fast as gas. I was thinking about phasing out the coal when it was $200 a ton.
You're doing a lot better on gasoline than us. It's just dropped to $3.85 for sub regular. Pa. has super road fuel taxes at the pump level and at the distributor level.

What gets me is that when production or supply costs go up 10-30 Percent, the retail price gets a whacking for 50 percent or more. No one is scared of price gouging charges.

McGiever

Post by McGiever » Mon. Sep. 26, 2022 4:06 pm

k-2 wrote:
Mon. Sep. 26, 2022 1:06 pm
And a lot of these small operations will get new business if they can live thru biden regulations trying to put them out of business. Im trying to diversify my supply sources. I now have 3 small suppliers where before i had 1 large one.
Really???

Is Biden messing with coal regulations??
Can I read about this somewhere?

Thought Biden might see that being able to send coal and NG across the pond was a “good thing”. Who would want to undo that???

franpipeman
Stoker Coal Boiler: efm 520 stoker fitzgibbons pressure vessel
Hand Fed Coal Stove: harman, russo
Coal Size/Type: rice
Other Heating: alpine propane condensing boiler radiant floor

Post by franpipeman » Mon. Sep. 26, 2022 5:03 pm

if you factor propane efficiency in a condensing boiler at 95% over coal with 375 per ton at 67 percent propane is more btus for the buck

k-2

Post by k-2 » Mon. Sep. 26, 2022 8:02 pm

McGiever wrote:
Mon. Sep. 26, 2022 4:06 pm
Really???
Is Biden messing with coal regulations??
Can I read about this somewhere?
My supplier told me they are forcing more regulations on him various expensive test is what he said ,said he not sure he can keep going. I dont think he has any reason to lie about that. He only raised his coal a small amount to cover his expenses and what he pays for mine run. Biden has said during the campaign he will put coal and oil of business. And he doing a good job on that so far.

Stoker Time

Post by Stoker Time » Tue. Sep. 27, 2022 9:24 pm

I work in the industry and as best I can tell, this is what is going on:

Prices are up for a few reasons, including inflation and generally high energy prices. However, the main reason for these astronomical price increases for anthracite is the war in Ukraine. Anthracite is relatively rare and has many industrial uses besides home heating. Ukraine has been a major exporter of anthracite (to a much larger degree than PA) for a number of years and none of that coal is making its way out of the country for obvious reasons.

Overseas companies dependent on Ukrainian anthracite are now trying to sources it here and are willing to pay huge premiums. Keep in mind that some of these companies are buying tens of thousands of tons per month, and since they have large operations dependent on anthracite, they will pay close to anything to get it. They need anthracite for its specific chemical composition not the btus. In all likelihood, these companies are paying even more for anthracite than the retail consumer, and probably well over $400/ton.

In response to these overseas opportunities, PA anthracite companies have either a) gone all in on overseas demand and refused to sell into the local retail coal trade b) decided to stick with the local consumer, ignoring overseas demand and keeping prices relatively low (these are normally smaller producers) or c) continued to sell into the retail coal trade but with the benefit of higher prices. It's supply and demand, and when two or three of the six largest PA anthracite producers decided not to sell into to the local market it caused a run on inventory of the remaining producers. Right now the entire industry is working on six and seven day a week schedules and doing everything possible to increase production in the short-run.

Unfortunately the biggest limitation to increased production is the long lead time on opening and expanding new mines. Moreover, since this is a global supply crunch for anthracite and not an actual increase in demand, companies are hesitant to invest too much in increased production. In a likelihood prices will come right back down to where they were. When is anyone's guess. Could be in six months or two years. In the meantime, keep in mind that if heating oil is at $4.50 per gallon, anthracite needs to be close to $900/ton to cost the same on a btu basis. These increased prices are certainly unwelcome, but anthracite is still an unmatched value for the consumer.

hank2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1400 WH ciculator; 1880's small cannon in reserve
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: small New Yorker oil fired boiler; mostly used for domestic HW

Post by hank2 » Tue. Sep. 27, 2022 10:56 pm

Stoker Time wrote:
Tue. Sep. 27, 2022 9:24 pm
I work in the industry and as best I can tell, this is what is going on:

Prices are up for a few reasons, including inflation and generally high energy prices. However, the main reason for these astronomical price increases for anthracite is the war in Ukraine. Anthracite is relatively rare and has many industrial uses besides home heating. Ukraine has been a major exporter of anthracite (to a much larger degree than PA) for a number of years and none of that coal is making its way out of the country for obvious reasons.

Overseas companies dependent on Ukrainian anthracite are now trying to sources it here and are willing to pay huge premiums. Keep in mind that some of these companies are buying tens of thousands of tons per month, and since they have large operations dependent on anthracite, they will pay close to anything to get it. They need anthracite for its specific chemical composition not the btus. In all likelihood, these companies are paying even more for anthracite than the retail consumer, and probably well over $400/ton.

In response to these overseas opportunities, PA anthracite companies have either a) gone all in on overseas demand and refused to sell into the local retail coal trade b) decided to stick with the local consumer, ignoring overseas demand and keeping prices relatively low (these are normally smaller producers) or c) continued to sell into the retail coal trade but with the benefit of higher prices. It's supply and demand, and when two or three of the six largest PA anthracite producers decided not to sell into to the local market it caused a run on inventory of the remaining producers. Right now the entire industry is working on six and seven day a week schedules and doing everything possible to increase production in the short-run.

Unfortunately the biggest limitation to increased production is the long lead time on opening and expanding new mines. Moreover, since this is a global supply crunch for anthracite and not an actual increase in demand, companies are hesitant to invest too much in increased production. In a likelihood prices will come right back down to where they were. When is anyone's guess. Could be in six months or two years. In the meantime, keep in mind that if heating oil is at $4.50 per gallon, anthracite needs to be close to $900/ton to cost the same on a btu basis. These increased prices are certainly unwelcome, but anthracite is still an unmatched value for the consumer.
Stoker Time, thanks very much for the excellent overview and explanation of the PA. Anthracite situation. I'm only a consumer, but everything I have read or researched for the past 4 or 5 months agrees with what you said. At some level, the running embargo (sort of) of N. Korean anthracite and the shut down of US imported Russian anthracite has added to the problem (for home heaters).

I recently watched a couple of YT videos on coal. One was a few months old and featured a young guy visiting one of Reading A.'s mines. They told him that only 10% of their production goes to the home heating market. The other 90% went for steel making and a bit for pigment making. The other video was only a few weeks old. It was a news source interviewing one of the larger Australian Anthracite producers. Their income in 2021 was a little over 500 million $Aus. So far this year, it's well over $4 billion $Aus. That CEO expected demand to keep rising and prices to climb for several more years. Of course, that's there, not here.

Everyone's plan B is different, mine is the worst; oil-fired boiler and HWH/DHW. Due to way different efficiency ratings, my break-even coal cost for $4.50/gal heating oil is right at $550/ton anthracite. I would surely be out the door at $400-$450/ton.

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Wed. Sep. 28, 2022 9:09 am

Nice post Stoker Time.

McGiever

Post by McGiever » Wed. Sep. 28, 2022 12:14 pm

Gee, was no mention of Biden in all that!!

Some will continue to have stigmatism at all cost to place blame where they can fulfill their alter imagination. Huh 🤔

k-2

Post by k-2 » Wed. Sep. 28, 2022 12:29 pm

McGiever wrote:
Wed. Sep. 28, 2022 12:14 pm
Gee, was no mention of Biden in all that!!
Since you brought up the subject.
"Biden’s EPA Will Use New Regulations To Bury Coal Industry"

"President Joe Biden’s Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) is placing new emissions regulations on coal plants to shut down the nation’s remaining coal-fired power stations, according to a Reuters interview with EPA Administrator Michael Regan published on Friday."
https://yournews.com/2022/07/29/2386327/bidens-ep ... -industry/
Last edited by k-2 on Wed. Sep. 28, 2022 12:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

McGiever

Post by McGiever » Wed. Sep. 28, 2022 12:33 pm

Gee, it’s Biden’s EPA now!
“Does the president oversee the EPA?

The agency is led by its administrator, who is appointed by the president and approved by the Senate. The current administrator is Michael S. Regan. The EPA is not a Cabinet department, but the administrator is normally given cabinet rank.”

franpipeman
Stoker Coal Boiler: efm 520 stoker fitzgibbons pressure vessel
Hand Fed Coal Stove: harman, russo
Coal Size/Type: rice
Other Heating: alpine propane condensing boiler radiant floor

Post by franpipeman » Wed. Sep. 28, 2022 4:34 pm

sound like the anthracite coal business is booming, i dont think there are many if any anthracite burning coal plant is the USA . Is the culm plant near frackville still running ?

Return to “Coal Prices & Quality, Coal Dealer Inquiries & Reviews”