Superior Preparation

Duengeon master
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark III
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite pea and nut mix. Bituminous lump

Post by Duengeon master » Thu. Jun. 23, 2022 6:20 pm

Since Direnzo retired and his family is still sorting everything out, I got a couple of loads from Lehigh. The coal had more fines than Larry of the Three Stooges. The gentleman was nice about it and gave me a credit. However the next load had over 300 lbs of fines and dust. I tried Reading. Their coal was just ok with not as much dust in it but still a bit of fines.

Having the daylights scared out of me reading about the huge price increases and not wanting to wait, I saw a thread about Superior selling it for $170 ton. The lady there is real nice and she said that it's still $170 until August. So I got 1,400 of pea today. I like the idea that they wash it as it gets loaded. Direnzo's also washed theirs as well.

I hope that it burns well as I will need to make at least two more trips there before August to fill my bin. Their pea size seems a bit small, but having been washed at least it will keep the fines down. I am parked on a hill overnight so it drains on the street instead of my basement. ;)

Retro_Origin
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1957 Axeman Anderson 130
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat / Pea

Post by Retro_Origin » Thu. Jun. 23, 2022 6:39 pm

Duengeon master wrote:
Thu. Jun. 23, 2022 6:20 pm
Since Direnzo retired and his family is still sorting everything out, I got a couple of loads from Lehigh. The coal had more fines than Larry of the Three Stooges. The gentleman was nice about it and gave me a credit. However the next load had over 300 lbs of fines and dust. I tried Reading. Their coal was just ok with not as much dust in it but still a bit of fines.

Having the daylights scared out of me reading about the huge price increases and not wanting to wait, I saw a thread about Superior selling it for $170 ton. The lady there is real nice and she said that it's still $170 until August. So I got 1,400 of pea today. I like the idea that they wash it as it gets loaded. Direnzo's also washed theirs as well.

I hope that it burns well as I will need to make at least two more trips there before August to fill my bin. Their pea size seems a bit small, but having been washed at least it will keep the fines down. I am parked on a hill overnight so it drains on the street instead of my basement. ;)
My luck with superior hasn't been amazing, the stuff I got last week looks decent, I will be trying it tomorrow. Sherman is the same price and I haven't nothing but spanking hot good burning coal from them. All their loads have looked the same to me, slightly longer shale-ish looking coal, shiny as all get out. If I had to pick between the two I'd put my money on Sherman's everytime. Same owner, different coal, per the very nice lady at Superior. It's a little closer to me, so that's why I went there last week.

And yes I noticed Superior's sizes being smallish, Shermans is bigger. There buck is kinda big comparitively but runs super in my KA6

lincolnmania
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 350
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: reading allegheny stoker
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: alaska kodiak stoker 1986. 1987 triburner, 1987 crane diamond
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by lincolnmania » Fri. Jun. 24, 2022 12:28 am

I had problems with a load superior coal making any heat one winter and several others also complained about the load and they did not offer to replace the coal so i went elsewhere. never had a problem with sherman coal. good stuff.

Den034071
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer, 3095

Post by Den034071 » Sat. Jun. 25, 2022 10:29 am

Retro sent you a pm message jack

Idlorah
Stoker Coal Boiler: Allen 700 stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Gibralter MCC
Coal Size/Type: Buck in the Allen and anything goes in the MCC, Anthracite
Other Heating: None, maybe some wood in the MCC in the shoulder season

Post by Idlorah » Tue. Jun. 28, 2022 10:43 pm

So direnzo is done? That is a shame I really enjoyed everything about them from the quality and how it was washed as it was loaded.

Retro_Origin

Post by Retro_Origin » Wed. Jun. 29, 2022 7:16 am

Idlorah wrote:
Tue. Jun. 28, 2022 10:43 pm
So direnzo is done? That is a shame I really enjoyed everything about them from the quality and how it was washed as it was loaded.
If minersville loses it's coal dealer, what do we expect next?! :o :o :what: :what:

PA_saltwaterreef
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Gibraltar CFS

Post by PA_saltwaterreef » Sat. Aug. 27, 2022 9:58 pm

Duengeon master wrote:
Thu. Jun. 23, 2022 6:20 pm
SI hope that it burns well as I will need to make at least two more trips there before August to fill my bin. Their pea size seems a bit small, but having been washed at least it will keep the fines down. I am parked on a hill overnight so it drains on the street instead of my basement. ;)
I hope Superior's is good. They are by far the cheapest around that I've found so far. $200 picked up (not sure what delivered is) and I'm more than willing to drive the hour to go pick it up at that price.

lincolnmania
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: alaska kodiak stoker 1986. 1987 triburner, 1987 crane diamond

Post by lincolnmania » Sat. Sep. 03, 2022 1:29 am

PA_saltwaterreef wrote:
Sat. Aug. 27, 2022 9:58 pm
I hope Superior's is good. They are by far the cheapest around that I've found so far. $200 picked up (not sure what delivered is) and I'm more than willing to drive the hour to go pick it up at that price.
Sherman is 200 also. they are near exit 112 interstate 81, quick off and back on the interstate if you are traveling on 81.

t tcon65
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman Magnum
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by t tcon65 » Wed. Sep. 07, 2022 11:03 am

At the going prices, $200 per ton is great, but how is the coal and does it burn well? If I'm getting alot of klinkers and buckets of fines, is it it really worth it?

coalfan
Hand Fed Coal Stove: ds circultor1500 \chubby coal stove
Coal Size/Type: nut/ pea ant.some bit.
Other Heating: kerosene\cold nat. gas

Post by coalfan » Wed. Sep. 07, 2022 3:16 pm

can you call them for specs . and that is a darn good price.

t tcon65
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman Magnum

Post by t tcon65 » Tue. Sep. 27, 2022 10:14 am

Just picked up 4 ton of rice for $800 from Superior this past weekend. Super clean as it's washed coming out of the chute and it looked good while pushing it out of the trailer. Time will tell in a month when I fire up the stove.

k-2
Stoker Coal Boiler: K2- Keystoker
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Stoker Stove

Post by k-2 » Tue. Sep. 27, 2022 10:20 am

A lot of fines and dust tells you the coal is soft. That tends to block up under my firebed and cuts off the air. The quality depends on the mine run they buy. Having worked in a deep mine i can tell you the coal keeps changing as you mine. Some of it looks like glass but crumbles to a fine powder as soon as you touch it.

Retro_Origin

Post by Retro_Origin » Tue. Sep. 27, 2022 5:23 pm

t tcon65 wrote:
Wed. Sep. 07, 2022 11:03 am
At the going prices, $200 per ton is great, but how is the coal and does it burn well? If I'm getting alot of klinkers and buckets of fines, is it it really worth it?
Never had clinkering with superior, I've got at least 5 different loads from them over 2 years, it's always fluffy, powdery ash. Blaschak clinkered more for me, but I suspect that's because superior didn't burn as hot

lincolnmania

Post by lincolnmania » Tue. Sep. 27, 2022 10:06 pm

t tcon65 wrote:
Wed. Sep. 07, 2022 11:03 am
I burned it in the past and it was great. I used to live 2 miles from that breaker.

The ton I got in July was full of fines. I got a ton of buckwheat from Superior the next day (they were out of rice) and it was clean. I would not go to Sherman in the winter if you have a 2wd truck without a limited slip rear. it's a mucky mess.

k-2
Stoker Coal Boiler: K2- Keystoker
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Stoker Stove

Post by k-2 » Wed. Sep. 28, 2022 12:13 pm

t tcon65 wrote:
Tue. Sep. 27, 2022 10:14 am
Just picked up 4 ton of rice for $800 from Superior this past weekend. Super clean as it's washed coming out of the chute and it looked good while pushing it out of the trailer. Time will tell in a month when I fire up the stove.
I already did a test run. Going into the 30 at night sometimes. I got 3 from 3 different places this yr and im anxious to try out each one.

Return to “Coal Prices & Quality, Coal Dealer Inquiries & Reviews”